Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

on the UK licence renewal

My lifetime licence expires in January 2017, about to be now.

When I was over in the UK on holiday end of November 2016 the licence renewal was waiting for me at my sisters home, this was the family home I lived at when I passed my test that was also on the lifetime licence for decades

On review of the renewal form, I did not fill it in & send it off for the reason I had to provide proof that I lived in the UK together with a phone contact number & my passport details.

Something about a fine & that its illegal to have a UK drivers licence as a non-resident

I have retained the form just in case, if & when some day I take up residence again in the UK. Other than that I could simply exchange my foreign drivers licence.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
on the UK licence renewal

My lifetime licence expires in January 2017, about to be now.

When I was over in the UK on holiday end of November 2016 the licence renewal was waiting for me at my sisters home, this was the family home I lived at when I passed my test that was also on the lifetime licence for decades

On review of the renewal form, I did not fill it in & send it off for the reason I had to provide proof that I lived in the UK together with a phone contact number & my passport details.

Something about a fine & that its illegal to have a UK drivers licence as a non-resident

I have retained the form just in case, if & when some day I take up residence again in the UK. Other than that I could simply exchange my foreign drivers licence.
It is not illegal for a non U.K. resident to hold a UK DL. However it is illegal for a non U.K. resident to renew a UK DL. This was an EU law...so it may change!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is not illegal for a non U.K. resident to hold a UK DL. However it is illegal for a non U.K. resident to renew a UK DL. This was an EU law...so it may change!
Really?

I thought it was S.46 of the Immigration Act 2014, that is UK legislation introduced by one Theresa May, Home Secretary. So, I would have thought repeal was rather unlikely any time soon.

Last edited by Editha; Jan 12th 2017 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Right.

Originally Posted by Editha
Really?

I thought it was S.46 of the Immigration Act 2014, that is UK legislation introduced by one Theresa May, Home Secretary. So, I would have thought repeal was rather unlikely any time soon.
How does that apply to a (non-resident) UK citizen who obtained his/her DL legally in the U.K.? [Rhetorical question]

We can't change address, update to a photo-card license, USE the license to drive legally in the U.K., unless and until we are once again resident in the U.K., BUT (some of us) have UK licenses which remain valid until our 70th birthdays, even as non-residents.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

That law may well have superseded the EU law...I admit I haven't kept up to date in the last few years. Are you disagreeing with the last part of my previous post or just being pedantic?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

That law may well have superseded the EU law...I admit I haven't kept up to date in the last few years. Are you disagreeing with the last part of my previous post or just being pedantic?
I do question whether repeal is likely, but I'm also questioning whether the residency requirement was originally introduced as part of EU law.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I do question whether repeal is likely, but I'm also questioning whether the residency requirement was originally introduced as part of EU law.
I emailed the DVLA several years ago...they quoted an EU law which stated that it was illegal for non U.K. residents to renew UK DL.

BTW I couldn't find anything about it in the link you posted. Perhaps the link led to the wrong page? OR perhaps I just overlooked it?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

jalby1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vadio
I think there's some confusion w/r/t the question about residency when you start this questionnaire:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If you have moved back permanently, then you are resident. AFAIK, the first question is geared to folks who have never held a UK license, and is a 'check' to try to prevent someone getting a license who really isn't a resident. In any case, you can normally drive on your foreign license for 12 months. Insurance will likely be higher however.

DVLA will have you on record; you likely just need to get a new license with your new UK address.

I was out of the UK for 11 years. I just sent in the paperwork when I returned in 2011 with the photo and passport (for proof of identity) and I think something else as proof of address. Got the UK license back in about a week.
I believe this is the case too, a colleague recently renewed his after 10 years, paid £20 and got his licence back. In the last year or so DVLA is a lot faster and online compatible, I bet if you look online you could renew your licence in 2 mins. But you may need your passport and NI number
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We kept our old British pink paper licences when we left the UK in 1987 and easily renewed them when we returned in May last year and now have the picture id licenses. We returned many times during this period for visits but always hired a car using our US driving licences as I understood that driving on a UK licence while living abroad was not allowed.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 10:45 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

found this thread ! phew.
Got a quick question folks, is it worth exchanging your Ontario license to your previous old UK licence if its just for a year? Is it only the Insurance premium which it impacts?

Another question is my Ontario Vehicle plates - I've lost them during my move . Should I worry or simply order replacements and get them sent to myself in uk?

Last edited by BritCanadaNewbie; Dec 22nd 2017 at 11:26 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Got a quick question folks, it worth exchanging license if only for a UK back in ol'blighty? its all about the insurance premium right?

Anthor question is my vehicle plates (ontario). If I've lost them during my move do I need to de-activate them?
I don't understand your first question and I cannot help you with your second. Maybe rephrase?
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:26 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I don't understand your first question and I cannot help you with your second. Maybe rephrase?
done
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Got a quick question folks, is it worth exchanging your Ontario license to your previous old UK licence if its just for a year? Is it only the Insurance premium which it impacts?

Another question is my Ontario Vehicle plates - I've lost them during my move . Should I worry or simply order replacements and get them sent to myself in uk?
It's both free and very little hassle to swap your licence and having a GB licence will reduce your insurance premiums and give you a handy form of ID/proof of address.

Last edited by BritInParis; Dec 22nd 2017 at 11:32 pm.