Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Old Jan 28th 2015, 7:50 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

I've been informed today that you have to have been in the UK for 6 months in order to get your UK licence back. I am currently in Canada and have a BC licence. I am not PR in Canada instead I am on a WHV and have temporary residence in Canada.

Would it be best for me to surrender my BC licence in Canada before I leave and tell DVLA I no longer hold a current, valid licence anywhere and would like to get mine back in the UK?

Do I surrender my BC licence in the UK?

If I still have to wait 6 months, what is the process for getting insurance with a foreign licence. Will they take my no claims into account from my UK licence?

Will DVLA have my information on file and the fact I past my test in a manual as I don't want the licence to go to an automatic. I do have copies of my photo card and counterpart before it was surrendered in Canada and that shows that I can drive a manual.

Please let me know how you got on when you returned to the UK as a resident.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

I think there's some confusion w/r/t the question about residency when you start this questionnaire:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If you have moved back permanently, then you are resident. AFAIK, the first question is geared to folks who have never held a UK license, and is a 'check' to try to prevent someone getting a license who really isn't a resident. In any case, you can normally drive on your foreign license for 12 months. Insurance will likely be higher however.

DVLA will have you on record; you likely just need to get a new license with your new UK address.

I was out of the UK for 11 years. I just sent in the paperwork when I returned in 2011 with the photo and passport (for proof of identity) and I think something else as proof of address. Got the UK license back in about a week.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 8:28 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
I think there's some confusion w/r/t the question about residency when you start this questionnaire:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If you have moved back permanently, then you are resident. AFAIK, the first question is geared to folks who have never held a UK license, and is a 'check' to try to prevent someone getting a license who really isn't a resident. In any case, you can normally drive on your foreign license for 12 months. Insurance will likely be higher however.

DVLA will have you on record; you likely just need to get a new license with your new UK address.

I was out of the UK for 11 years. I just sent in the paperwork when I returned in 2011 with the photo and passport (for proof of identity) and I think something else as proof of address. Got the UK license back in about a week.
As far as I was aware, I shouldn't need to send in a copy of my passport as they can check that i am a UK citizen with just the passport number. Also my UK licence doesn't expire till 2021 (I have a photocopy of photocard and paper part) so it wont need a new photo as this should be on their file.

All i will need is possibly a proof of address, which is fine as most of my mail is going to a UK address anyway.

I just do not want to be waiting 6 months to get my licence back when I have returned and can show proof i have returned. I am also not prepared to have extra 'rip off' premiums added to my insurance policy when most of my driving history and no claims were on a UK licence
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

My original UK license was the old paper type which I got in 1993. I only had a US passport at the time, hence it had to be used as proof of identity. Hubby had a photo license, so switching to a new address was simpler for his application as I recall.

Our insurance dropped by about 50% as soon as we provided our *new* UK licenses. Even though I had held one sine 1993 and DH had held his since 1957, initially the insurer only accepted the most recent license(s) which were from the US......anything to make more £ I guess.

You'll be fine - just renew when you get back.

Last edited by Vadio; Jan 29th 2015 at 10:05 am.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my brother about his recent-ish experience: he was out of the country on an Australian WHV for 12 months, then travelling for 6 months, & returned to the UK late 2013 : he says he "did the paperwork" & got his licence back straightaway.

Yes, DVLA will have your information on file. (They found mine from 1984 in 2009 ).
HTH

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 29th 2015 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I *just* did the update process. I got back to the UK recently and immediately did a change of address on my (paper) license and mailed it in to DVLC. In a week I got a letter back along with my paper license (unchanged) telling me that I needed to apply... online... for a photo license. I did this and they accepted my passport ID photo and signature info online (just updated my passport last year) and the application was accepted no problem. I was informed that I would receive another letter requesting more info and once that info was sent in, then I would receive my photo licence.

So I waited and then got the letter requesting a new passport type picture even though I had given access to my passport pic and signature info.

So I went and got a camera-shop type passport photo the same day and mailed the letter back with a picture. I expect to receive the new photo type license back any day. Easy enough!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

we have lived in the USA since 2002 my UK drivers license ran out In 2014 we are returning to England in 2016 but I will be turned 70 will I have to take a test again or just apply for a renewal.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
we have lived in the USA since 2002 my UK drivers license ran out In 2014 we are returning to England in 2016 but I will be turned 70 will I have to take a test again or just apply for a renewal.
I asked the DVLA this last year, they advised that my right to drive remained even though my photocard had expired. They added that I wouldn't need to re-take my test at 70, though there was a separate form, I think you need to satisfy them that you're still fit.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
My parents just returned to UK on 12th Jan they are both over 70 and their photo driver licence had expired on their 70th birthday. They went to the post office to ask about get a new card and they were told to apply online as they both had valid UK passports. They did that and they both got their new photo licence within a week.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 1:36 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

3 years ago our Canadian born daughter with a UK passport + an Ontario drivers license went over to the UK for a few months. While there, she got her NI card, then down to the post office, filled in the license exchange form, enclosed her Ontario license +money, posted it to Cardiff & within a week she had her exchanged license.

UK license in hand, when she came back to Canada, went down to local licensing office (proof she was back living here) & she got her Ontario license back & still has her UK license

Last edited by not2old; Jan 30th 2015 at 1:38 am.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:18 am
Bex in the city

Thank you. At least I know I can get my license back straight away with a proof of address.

I know for sure my license is no longer valid as I checked my license number on DVLA and it says I no longer have a valid UK license as I now have a license issued by a different authority (ICBC).
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

So for future reference what prof of UK address do you need as we may be staying with friends
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
So for future reference what prof of UK address do you need as we may be staying with friends
Staying with friends? For how long - days, weeks, months, years?
Usually, Electoral Roll registration is useful evidence of address.

If you already hold a GB driving licence there is a process to change the registered address:
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

However, you wouldn't usually do that if staying short term with friends. Do you not have a foreign drivers licence that can be used in that time?
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

well were not certain as the exact length of time minimum of 10 months but could be as long as 3 years.
We have elderly relatives that are not in the best of health and will probably take a job at some point which will require a UK driving licence.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
well were not certain as the exact length of time minimum of 10 months but could be as long as 3 years.
Staying with friends for 10 months, up to 3 years?
They may not be your friends after that time.

Realistically - if you are planning to become lodgers, etc, won't you have an agreement documenting this? And then you would get on the Electoral Roll, change your details with HM Revenue & Customs, then change over your driving licence? Which you have to do anyway. A foreign driving licence is not valid for indefinite use in the U.K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.