Reload this Page >

Questions about cat transportation and pickup at Heathrow

Questions about cat transportation and pickup at Heathrow

Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

ThePocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about cat transportation and pickup at Heathrow

Greetings all,

I'm moving back to Scotland after 8 years in California. Since moving here I've acquired a wife and three cats. Fortunately for the wife she doesn't need to be microchipped and she's had all her shots, so only the cats are a problem in that department. I was very relieved to find out last week that my vet has already gone through the pet passport "nightmare" for a lady who just moved back to London.

2 questions for those in the know:

1) what is the procedure for picking the cats up at the other side (at Heathrow - we'll be flying Virgin on the same flight as the cats - eh, hopefully barring baggage handling screw-ups!) ?

2) a rough idea on the cost of flights for the mogs (from San Francisco) ?

Thanks in advance
Gary
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about cat transportation and pickup at Heathrow

Originally Posted by ThePocket
Greetings all,

I'm moving back to Scotland after 8 years in California. Since moving here I've acquired a wife and three cats. Fortunately for the wife she doesn't need to be microchipped and she's had all her shots, so only the cats are a problem in that department. I was very relieved to find out last week that my vet has already gone through the pet passport "nightmare" for a lady who just moved back to London.

2 questions for those in the know:

1) what is the procedure for picking the cats up at the other side (at Heathrow - we'll be flying Virgin on the same flight as the cats - eh, hopefully barring baggage handling screw-ups!) ?

2) a rough idea on the cost of flights for the mogs (from San Francisco) ?

Thanks in advance
Gary
Congrats on the move - I'm jealous!

Sorry I can't give you specific answers, though I know there have been plenty of threads on transporting cats back to the UK (try a Search), so I'm sure someone will be along soon to either give specific advice or link you to previous threads.

Some random thoughts though:

1) Have you already booked the cats on the plane? I thought there was some restriction on the number of pets on a plane (I seem to recall the limit was two dogs, for example, when I took my pooch to the UK, and then back).

2) The people at the Animal Reception Center in Heathrow (where I presume your cats will have to be processed before you can get them) are really great.

3) My guesstimate if your cats will be on the same plane as you is that they will probably be somewhere between $100-$150 apiece. This is from the East Coast though, nonstop flight - are you flying direct, or with connections?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:51 am
Just Joined

nyclady is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG I'm going in the morning...and as usual I've got tons of stuff to take care of before I leave.

HOW I WISH the costs were between $100.00 and $150.00!...I figured mine (16 lb moggies ...going on Virgin) will cost approx $500.00 each PLUS $125.00 for the paperwork for both this end PLUS £215.00 at Heathrow. Not a cheap venture.
As far as the reception centre at Heathrow, for VA at least, they give you a map of where it is ...it's about 4 miles from the terminal and no public transport goes there. I'm fortunate to have someone coming to pick me up in a car so we'll drive to pick up the cats and then take them to their (new!) home.

They will be swanning around in their ENORMOUS crate (got to be a least 5ins clear headroom above the cats ears I've been informed by the cargo people. I on the other hand will will be cooped up in steerage on a BA flight what we do for our beloveds!
When I get the other end and am functioning I'll let you know the actual cost breakdown. In the meantime you can USDA office in Albany at 518 869 9007 speak to Chris and he will fax you the certificates and info.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nyclady
OMG I'm going in the morning...and as usual I've got tons of stuff to take care of before I leave.

HOW I WISH the costs were between $100.00 and $150.00!...I figured mine (16 lb moggies ...going on Virgin) will cost approx $500.00 each PLUS $125.00 for the paperwork for both this end PLUS £215.00 at Heathrow. Not a cheap venture.
As far as the reception centre at Heathrow, for VA at least, they give you a map of where it is ...it's about 4 miles from the terminal and no public transport goes there. I'm fortunate to have someone coming to pick me up in a car so we'll drive to pick up the cats and then take them to their (new!) home.

They will be swanning around in their ENORMOUS crate (got to be a least 5ins clear headroom above the cats ears I've been informed by the cargo people. I on the other hand will will be cooped up in steerage on a BA flight what we do for our beloveds!
When I get the other end and am functioning I'll let you know the actual cost breakdown. In the meantime you can USDA office in Albany at 518 869 9007 speak to Chris and he will fax you the certificates and info.

Thanks for the info (especially given you're off tommorrow). I was banking on it being a grand a head so I wasn't too far off. At least with a dog you could look forward to some gratitude

Good luck with the trip (and enjoy the legroom on BA, which I believe stands for B**ger All) !
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Congrats on the move - I'm jealous!

Sorry I can't give you specific answers, though I know there have been plenty of threads on transporting cats back to the UK (try a Search), so I'm sure someone will be along soon to either give specific advice or link you to previous threads.

Some random thoughts though:

1) Have you already booked the cats on the plane? I thought there was some restriction on the number of pets on a plane (I seem to recall the limit was two dogs, for example, when I took my pooch to the UK, and then back).

2) The people at the Animal Reception Center in Heathrow (where I presume your cats will have to be processed before you can get them) are really great.

3) My guesstimate if your cats will be on the same plane as you is that they will probably be somewhere between $100-$150 apiece. This is from the East Coast though, nonstop flight - are you flying direct, or with connections?
1) I read on another thread wa while back that there are restrictions on the number of live animals per flight, but it was something like 8 or 12, so as long as they can squeeze my three in .....

2) I see a number of people saying the same thing, and that reduces the pressure

3) We'll be flying direct from SF to Heathrow.

I appreciate your help.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:17 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the persons email who we are dealing with at James Cargo, extremely helpful

[email protected]

Good luck
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are flying back with our Chihuahua, we were given an amount of approximately $450 to fly him from Washington DC to Heathrow (not counting the costs once we get there) I was wondering if anyone has gone through with a US Avid Microchip and had it read there? I was told from a vet at Avid that they have a reader at Heathrow that reads the nine digit number.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:38 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
Hi we are flying back with our Chihuahua, we were given an amount of approximately $450 to fly him from Washington DC to Heathrow (not counting the costs once we get there) I was wondering if anyone has gone through with a US Avid Microchip and had it read there? I was told from a vet at Avid that they have a reader at Heathrow that reads the nine digit number.

No, not me yet, but am interested in this question. My two dogs also have the US Avid microchip. I was told there wouldnt be any problem as it is the same chip used by military and read frequently with no problems. Still worrisome though.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Don't know about the Avid chip - our vet just quoted us $100 a pop for an ISO 11748 compliant one. The mogs better appreciate it !
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised how much people are saying it costs to ship their animals. In 1999, I was quoted $100 by British Airways for my 50lb dog. Coming back in 2001, British Airways charged me 100 GBP.

Both times the price was for an accompanied animal (i.e., I was on the same plane) and was, literally, the excess baggage charge (they said she was classed as excess baggage) for one bag.

In 1999, it ended up costing me about $300, because she was shipped as cargo (I had to ship her after I had flown back myself). But I remember thinking at the time that the quote for shipping her accompanied (it was either $100 or $110) was excellent.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,
I emailed Avid in the UK after talking to a vet here in the US and they both said that Heathrow and Gatwick have their microchip readers. Here's his reply to my question.
Linda

"Yes, your veterinarian was correct we have sold multiple AVID microchip scanners to both Gatwick and Heathrow so there should be no problem with getting your microchip read at all. If you do experience any problems then you might like to contact us on 0800 652 9 977."

Best Regards,

Simon Clark.

AVID Plc
PO Box 19
Uckfield
East Sussex
TN22 3TF

Freephone : 0800 652 9 977
International : +44 1825 791069
Fax : +44 1825 791006