Proving right to rent

Old Aug 24th 2022, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

GyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proving right to rent

Hello all. My wife finally has a magic stamp in her passport - the fabled EUSS Family Permit. Now that she's got it, I'm trying to figure out how we should prove that she is allowed to rent a house. I've read all about share codes, but I don't know how to get one. I've been to https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-rent. I selected "I have status under the EU Settlement Scheme", then "Passport", and entered the passport number and DoB, using the same passport as used for the visa application. I receive "The details entered don't match our records". Is this normal? Does anyone know how to get a share code based on an EUSS Family Permit?
Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!
Old Aug 25th 2022, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

GyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond reputeGyroMagician has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving right to rent

Just to clarify, we want to rent a house together, and I am British. But under the current rules (no idea when this rubbish started), every adult who will live in the house has to prove they are allowed to do so. Hence the need for a share code or something similar. Letting agents are actually quite jumpy about it, so I guess the fines they could face are substantial.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Stelly is on a distinguished road

I'd never even heard of this... sorry!
Old Aug 26th 2022, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stelly
I'd never even heard of this... sorry!
I had not heard of it either until I Googled it. It looks like instead of having to show your right to reside (passport, BRP etc) to every potential landlord you can do it once and simply share that authorization code.

https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-rent

Share details of your right to rent in England, including how long you can rent for.

You can use this service if you:
  • have a biometric residence card or permit
  • have settled or pre-settled status
  • applied for a visa and used the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document on your phone
Old Aug 26th 2022, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, sounds like something else that an MPs cousin "designed" Gyro Magician, I hope you can get it to work, maybe it needed more time to sync systems?
Old Aug 26th 2022, 2:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GyroMagician
Hello all. My wife finally has a magic stamp in her passport - the fabled EUSS Family Permit. Now that she's got it, I'm trying to figure out how we should prove that she is allowed to rent a house.
is this about her renting a house under her own name only, not joint tenants or will you be the primary renter?

are you currently living & renting in the UK, if so on the basis that the rental agreement is in your name only (hint), then surely a legally resident spouse can live with you.

Last edited by not2old; Aug 26th 2022 at 2:03 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 2:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

are you currently living & renting in the UK, if so on the basis that the rental agreement is in your name only (hint), then surely a legally resident spouse can live with you.
Sadly not. It applies to everyone who will live there.

"Who you have to check:You must check that a tenant or lodger can legally rent your residential property in England.

Check with the Home Office if the tenant is a Commonwealth citizen but does not have the right documents - they might still have the right to rent in the UK.

Before the start of a new tenancy, you must check all tenants aged 18 and over, even if:
  • they’re not named on the tenancy agreement
  • there’s no tenancy agreement
  • the tenancy agreement is not in writing"
https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-right-to-rent-documents

Old Aug 26th 2022, 2:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@lion in winter post#7 .... wow, beyond stupid.

I suppose the OP being British with a spouse legally resident you'd want to believe that there shouldn't be an issue.

back to the OP to get is sorted & report back for others in a similar situation to know.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 2:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
@lion in winter post#7 .... wow, beyond stupid.

I suppose the OP being British with a spouse legally resident you'd want to believe that there shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, well, no argument from me. I'm the person who thinks that a UK citizen ought to be able to bring their spouse back to the UK with them irrespective of anyone's income. The State is not doing the things it should, and is doing things it shouldn't.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yeah, well, no argument from me.I'm the person who thinks that a UK citizen ought to be able to bring their spouse back to the UK with them irrespective of anyone's income. The State is not doing the things it should, and is doing things it shouldn't.
Oh yes. Very much yes.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yeah, well, no argument from me. I'm the person who thinks that a UK citizen ought to be able to bring their spouse back to the UK with them irrespective of anyone's income. The State is not doing the things it should, and is doing things it shouldn't.
No other country has 'bring in your spouse irrespective of income' immigration process.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No other country has 'bring in your spouse irrespective of income' immigration process.
I mean, that doesn't mean it's right....
When you really sit and think about it, the entire notion of nationality and permission to move worldwide is crazy. It's not like any of us had a say on where we would be born.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 3:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Although Australia has nothing to brag about with its immigration policies, its spouse/partner visa doesn't have any income or savings requirements, and the applicant and their spouse/partner are not asked for any financial documents in the application process.

The sponsor is required to sign a declaration saying they will provide for their partner for the two years it takes for the visa to convert to permanent residency. No questions are asked and no checks are made as to the sponsor's financial situation.

The financial implications of applying for the spouse/partner visa are the application fee, which is around AUD$7,000. This covers both the first (temporary) visa and the second (permanent) visa, and includes access to Australia's Medicare health system.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 8:30 am

That's not really the measure I use though
Old Aug 27th 2022, 8:30 am

That's not really the measure I use though. We could do better than other countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.