British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Proving I'm English for University (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/proving-im-english-university-874909/)

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 9:08 am

Re: Proving I'm English for University

Also, something hilarious from York.

"Four full years of study in Canada, in English or French, at the high-school level"

"Hello sir, could you prove you speak English?"

"Oh yes, I learned French for four years."

dmu Mar 29th 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11908600)
Newcastle: "If English is not your first language you will need to provide a recognised English language test or qualification."

English is my first language and mother-tongue, but how would this be proven in the first place?

EDIT: Nevermind, English nationals are exempt from proving anything at Newcastle.

Hi, is it possible for a British citizen educated in France to take one of the Cambridge Proficiency exams mentioned in the above link? If so, you could do so between now and the Bac, and there's your qualification, even if your chosen Uni doesn't require it.
P.S. Have you changed your mind and aren't going to study SVT after all?

Shirtback Mar 29th 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11908600)
Newcastle: "If English is not your first language you will need to provide a recognised English language test or qualification."

English is my first language and mother-tongue, but how would this be proven in the first place?

EDIT: Nevermind, English nationals are exempt from proving anything at Newcastle.

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11908603)
Also, something hilarious from York.

"Four full years of study in Canada, in English or French, at the high-school level"

"Hello sir, could you prove you speak English?"

"Oh yes, I learned French for four years."

:rofl: See, I DID say it was worth looking at individual establishments' EL requirements :sneaky:

Son did some desultory research on the subject a couple of years ago & had the same reaction to the Canada High School studies requirement ;).

(NB, do read the "small print"!).

Just for shits & giggles: France considers my children as FMT, but would require them to undergo language testing if they wish to pursue education in France; Canada (Qc) considers them officially Anglophone despite almost all their education being in French. The UK is not really that bothered, and tends to go for "it depends"....

Shirtback Mar 29th 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11908625)
Hi, is it possible for a British citizen educated in France to take one of the Cambridge Proficiency exams mentioned in the above link? If so, you could do so between now and the Bac, and there's your qualification, even if your chosen Uni doesn't require it.

Yes.

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 9:35 am

I'll just do the Toefl, really. Much simpler and opens up prestigious universities. I should really be worried about those 15/20's...

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Shirtback Mar 29th 2016 9:37 am

What exactly do you mean by, & why are you so concerned about "prestigious" universities??

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11908625)

I'm doing a Bac S SVT, but that's just one of the Bac options and doesn't hold any real worth except interest in the subject and some fill-up points. There are three options for a Bac S: Maths, some sort of Technology and SvT. The one you choose makes the coefficient of that subject more important when sitting the Bac. From memory, it would go something like Maths being coefficient 9 rather than 7 if that's your option.

But my plan has always been to study chemistry after the Bac. The SvT option is the most relevant to Science out of the three.

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11908639)
What exactly do you mean by, & why are you so concerned about "prestigious" universities??

I'm not concerned about them, but I'd like a degree from a good university. By prestigious I mean just that, the highest and hardest to get into/most selective.

dmu Mar 29th 2016 9:54 am

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11908641)
I'm doing a Bac S SVT, but that's just one of the Bac options and doesn't hold any real worth except interest in the subject and some fill-up points. There are three options for a Bac S: Maths, some sort of Technology and SvT. The one you choose makes the coefficient of that subject more important when sitting the Bac. From memory, it would go something like Maths being coefficient 9 rather than 7 if that's your option.

But my plan has always been to study chemistry after the Bac. The SvT option is the most relevant to Science out of the three.

DD1 did a Bac S SVT and hardly did any Chemistry as such. Certainly not enough to be equivalent to A-Level chemistry, but then she wanted to do a degree in SVT....

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11908652)
DD1 did a Bac S SVT and hardly did any Chemistry as such. Certainly not enough to be equivalent to A-Level chemistry, but then she wanted to do a degree in SVT....

There's no Chemistry Bac, so it's the only science related one.

And curriculums differ wildly in any case.

dmu Mar 29th 2016 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11908678)
There's no Chemistry Bac, so it's the only science related one.

And curriculums differ wildly in any case.

What I'm wondering is that, as there are no "Chemistry" lessons in French Collèges and Lycées (something which has always surprised me), is it possible to be accepted into a British Uni to study "Chemistry" without this knowledge? I've never gone into the question of how to get into an Ecole de Chimie or the like in France, but suppose that there are special Lycées and Prépas.
P.S. Maybe you're lucky enough to be in a Lycée equipped with a decent Lab and an enthusiastic chemistry teacher? DD1 had neither and the emphasis was on Physics. Off topic, but it's always surprised me, like Chemistry with Physics, that Geography isn't considered worthy of it's own Bac. Always lumped together with History, as a poor relation....

formula Mar 29th 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11908926)
What I'm wondering is that, as there are no "Chemistry" lessons in French Collèges and Lycées (something which has always surprised me), is it possible to be accepted into a British Uni to study "Chemistry" without this knowledge? I

Being accepted might be less of a problem than "could they keep up with the chemistry course at a British university"?

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 9:25 pm

Of course a person could. Chemistry doesn't change from language to language, and in any case people from any country need to write their scientific papers and theses in English.

formula Mar 29th 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by OkUK (Post 11909023)
Of course a person could. Chemistry doesn't change from language to language, and in any case people from any country need to write their scientific papers and theses in English.

GCSEs and A levels are taught on a specific subject. Which, with a good pass mark, has that person ready for the first year of university to study that same subject.

If they have come form a country that hasn't do that and they haven't been taught to that level, they will struggle at a British university.

OkUK Mar 29th 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by formula (Post 11909029)
GCSEs and A levels are taught on a specific subject. Which, with a good pass mark, has that person ready for the first year of university to study that same subject.

If they have come form a country that hasn't do that and they haven't been taught to that level, they will struggle at a British university.

I doubt it.