Reload this Page >

Proving I'm English for University

Proving I'm English for University

Old Mar 26th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proving I'm English for University

Hello,

While a lot of Universities seem to accept applying with a French Bac who has over 12/20 in English, some of the more prestigious ones seem to want some kind of proof. I was wondering if this is proof enough?

-British Citizenship
-Brevet with an international option
-19.75/20 average in English (right now, not likely to change by much up to then)

I could also just have a conversation with them for a few seconds to prove I'm 100% British, though I'm guessing that's not an option.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving I'm English for University

A British passport won't be much use if your education has been in French. Your English language score on the other hand will be useful.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OkUK
Hello,

While a lot of Universities seem to accept applying with a French Bac who has over 12/20 in English, some of the more prestigious ones seem to want some kind of proof. I was wondering if this is proof enough?

-British Citizenship
-Brevet with an international option
-19.75/20 average in English (right now, not likely to change by much up to then)

I could also just have a conversation with them for a few seconds to prove I'm 100% British, though I'm guessing that's not an option.
Hi,
I suppose they consider that someone applying from France hasn't had a "British" education, with everything associated (History, Literature, Culture,....) and may not be 100% English.
For example, my two daughters have dual nationality, but since they've lived all their lives in France with a French father, they probably wouldn't be considered "English" enough from a prestigious Uni's point of view, with simply a good French Bac in hand.
It can't do any harm to ring them up, in the hopes of getting through to an academic, but I thought you were in 2nde?
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
I suppose they consider that someone applying from France hasn't had a "British" education, with everything associated (History, Literature, Culture,....) and may not be 100% English.
For example, my two daughters have dual nationality, but since they've lived all their lives in France with a French father, they probably wouldn't be considered "English" enough from a prestigious Uni's point of view, with simply a good French Bac in hand.
It can't do any harm to ring them up, in the hopes of getting through to an academic, but I thought you were in 2nde?
It's not a question of citizenship or identity rather whether your education was primarily conducted in English or another language. If it's the latter than you'll need evidence of your English language ability. Plenty of non-native speakers of English attend "prestigious" British universities.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's not a question of citizenship or identity rather whether your education was primarily conducted in English or another language. If it's the latter than you'll need evidence of your English language ability. Plenty of non-native speakers of English attend "prestigious" British universities.
Here's an example of English language requirements for entrance to a "prestigious" British university:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rements?wssl=1

If the OP Googles "[name of university] English language requirements", &/or contacts the relevant admissions office(s), it's fairly straight forward.

As BiP points out, "being British" isn't a criteria if one has been educated in another language.

Last edited by Shirtback; Mar 29th 2016 at 3:37 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

I was educated in english in certain subjects (english and history) as demonstrated by my OIB Brevet.

That's clearly not accepted anywhere so I'll take the TOEFL, I suppose. I just find it a bit silly when I'm as good at English as any other GB student. But there seems to be no other alternative.

Last edited by OkUK; Mar 29th 2016 at 4:33 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I was educated in english in certain subjects (english and history) as demonstrated by my OIB Brevet.

That's clearly not accepted anywhere so I'll take the TOEFL, I suppose. I just find it a bit silly when I'm as good at English as any other GB student. But there seems to be no other alternative.
Have you contacted the educational establishments ( that you are interesting in applying to) directly to confirm their exact requirements?

It's interesting, & perhaps relevant to note that the "L'OIB n'est pas un diplôme franco-étranger (aucune reconnaissance n'est garantie � l'étranger, contrairement aux diplômes obtenus dans le cadre des sections binationales). Il ne s'agit pas non plus du diplôme privé délivré par l'IBO (International Baccalaureate Organization), qui n'est pas un diplôme d'Etat ni un diplôme français et qui ne donne pas le droit d'entrer dans l'enseignement supérieur que confère le baccalauréat."

(My bold).
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Have you contacted the educational establishments ( that you are interesting in applying to) directly to confirm their exact requirements?

It's interesting, & perhaps relevant to note that the "L'OIB n'est pas un diplôme franco-étranger (aucune reconnaissance n'est garantie � l'étranger, contrairement aux diplômes obtenus dans le cadre des sections binationales). Il ne s'agit pas non plus du diplôme privé délivré par l'IBO (International Baccalaureate Organization), qui n'est pas un diplôme d'Etat ni un diplôme français et qui ne donne pas le droit d'entrer dans l'enseignement supérieur que confère le baccalauréat."

(My bold).
So my useless diploma is doubly useless...
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

So my useless diploma is doubly useless...
That's not what I said. I was merely pointing out, or intended to do so, that your "diplôme" is not automatically recognised in the UK. To rephrase: expect some hoop-jumping to be required for UK uni entry; be pleasantly surprised if/when it isn't.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

I understood. If it isn't automatically accepted, it's not useful if it's done case by case.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just out of curiosity, are you aiming for Oxbridge? Or similar? And what do you intend/hope to study at university?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Chemistry. I don't think I could get high enough grades for Oxbridge.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm. Chemistry... Yeah, I can see how you'd need excellent grades to get into Uni in the UK. However, Oxbridge doesn't top the tables for the "best" place to go for chemistry, & other places require higher points, so there's that... . Where would you like to go, all things being equal?

I know we have quite a few professors hanging around in here from time to time, perhaps they'll pop in to this thread & put in their tuppenceworth .

Fwiw for chemistry, Imperial College, Bristol, York, Newcastle, spring to mind. All of whom detail English language requirements quite thoroughly on their websites.

Old Mar 29th 2016, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Imperial College and Bristol both want 15 to 16/20 for the Bac itself and in all "relevant" (not looked into what those are fully, but I'll assume biology, physics-chemistry and maths) subjects. York and Newcastle seemed to want a far more achievable 12-13 (which is still something like BBB or BBC once you convert it, I think).
Old Mar 29th 2016, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Newcastle: "If English is not your first language you will need to provide a recognised English language test or qualification."

English is my first language and mother-tongue, but how would this be proven in the first place?

EDIT: Nevermind, English nationals are exempt from proving anything at Newcastle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.