Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pregnant but been out of the UK

Pregnant but been out of the UK

Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant but been out of the UK

Originally Posted by BAY
But she hasn't lived in the UK for at least the last 5 years so that would make her a health tourist. Thats why there is the 5 year rule ! She has chosen to leave the UK so has to accept the concequencies.

The issue of illegal immigrants is another issue. Don't get me started :curse:
What is this 5 year rule you speak of?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:32 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What is this 5 year rule you speak of?
From the Department ohf Health website

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074383

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074389
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly

Thus kind of situation makes a nonsense of the socalled 'free movement of labour' within the EU..as if the language barrier weren't enough to keep most Brits away from work in the wider EU arena.
What language barrier? It doesn't seem to be much of a problem for people from the Continent working here, and I know several people working in France, the Netherlands and Germany. Of course, they took the trouble to learn the language.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.
So if you are gone more than 5 years you have to pay if you are home on holiday, but you are entitled to care right away if you move back permanently from what I gather.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Interesting.
So if you are gone more than 5 years you have to pay if you are home on holiday, but you are entitled to care right away if you move back permanently from what I gather.
It looks like a grey area...it states 'if you have been working abroad for not more than 5 yrs'...not if you have been a resident abroad for more than 5 years. From what I can gather if you work for a UK company and are working abroad for said company you are not classed as a non resident for some purposes.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really surprised that this person is not eligible for health cover in Germany.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:45 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm really surprised that this person is not eligible for health cover in Germany.
Maybe she hasn't been paying her taxes in Germany ... or something else dodgy .... which explains why she can't get medical insurance or German NHS treatment.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
What language barrier? It doesn't seem to be much of a problem for people from the Continent working here, and I know several people working in France, the Netherlands and Germany. Of course, they took the trouble to learn the language.
Ahem ....I am not speaking for myself but for your average Brit with little propensity to learn foreign languages...the rest of the world learns English as their second language hence most everyone in the world can envisage giving it a go in an English speaking country.....your average Brit is exposed to French while at school, maybe a bit of German or Spanish....do you get what I mean now...? We potentially have to learn multiple languages to move abroad or relocate all the way to NZ and Oz instead...
Also in the Netherlands it is easy to survive in English which means people from all over the EU can work in NL using the medium of English.

Given that the UK no longer even enforces the learning of a foreign language to GCSE level because of the shortage of teachers..I think I have a valid point..we are not as a whole known as a race of linguists.

I have another theory why as well....people start off wanting to learn say French but baulk at the fact that unlike English...every noun has a gender which you have to learn...German ditto plus all the cases/inflexions....tbh I don't wonder why my fellow countrymen/women so easily give it up.