Postcards from England

Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postcards from England

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In recent years Chester City centre has become a bit run down...probably due to the Trafford Centre and outlet mall located between Chester and Ellesmere Port. Of course the old historic buildings are just at beautiful. I hope before long Chester City Centre turns back into the Chester where I used to live.
It looks as if it has tons of history, JerseyGirl. Those old buildings are SO characteristic!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It looks as if it has tons of history, JerseyGirl. Those old buildings are SO characteristic!
It has and it's sad to see how it's becoming. It used to be well known for the quality of stores...sadly these seem to have been replaced by cheaper shops aiming at the teenage market and charity shops. Don't get me wrong I'm all for those type of shops but Chester seems to be swamped by them now. Whenever I went into town I could see/hear loads of American and Japanese tourists...they don't seem to be around any more.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful pictures of Chester Karim, thank you so much and happy new year, looking forward to your future posts.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:31 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful pics. Just wanted to say thanks for doing this!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great pictures Karmin, I have only been to Chester one time in my life and that was 1959 when I was 14 ---- well now you make me want to go back there ASAP now Im over here in UK I can do that ---- maybe in the spring or summer when its a little warmer,
take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I loved your pictures of Chester I lived there for most of my life my Mother was born there and many of my family still live there I worked in the Rows and lived in Hoole the City was ruined by bad planning an awful modern buildings being built. Trafford Centre and another area outside of Chester caused great problems but Chester planning board failed to realize that people of Chester still needed places in town shop not just dress shops and gift shops for visitors. It use to be a thriving place were locals came to do their shopping no wonder it went down. They have a new venture taking place where they are asking locals what they want. I hope the people get involved and bring it back to what it was. One big problem was and still is the traffic.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I loved your pictures of Chester I lived there for most of my life my Mother was born there and many of my family still live there I worked in the Rows and lived in Hoole the City was ruined by bad planning an awful modern buildings being built. Trafford Centre and another area outside of Chester caused great problems but Chester planning board failed to realize that people of Chester still needed places in town shop not just dress shops and gift shops for visitors. It use to be a thriving place were locals came to do their shopping no wonder it went down. They have a new venture taking place where they are asking locals what they want. I hope the people get involved and bring it back to what it was. One big problem was and still is the traffic.
The number of times I've driven down Hoole Road into town or to my doctor's surgery.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Was married at All Saints Church and lived down that road. Walked into town everyday to work. or if lazy caught the bus.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Was married at All Saints Church and lived down that road. Walked into town everyday to work. or if lazy caught the bus.
At Christmas we went to All Saints to attend my daughter's Christmas Carol Concert.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

You lucky devil. My son was Christened in that Church and my Mum and Dad both had their funerals from there. So many memories.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You lucky devil. My son was Christened in that Church and my Mum and Dad both had their funerals from there. So many memories.
Small world. I used to go to the doctor's surgery in Flookersbrook....before a new clinic was built on Hoole Road. My friend lived in Flookersbrook...her husband was a gyny consultant.

My daughter was christened at St Peter's Church, Mickle Trafford.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

My best friend lives in Mickle Trafford. It is a small world. Do you remember the library on Hoole Road.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My best friend lives in Mickle Trafford. It is a small world. Do you remember the library on Hoole Road.
I can't say I do...I used to go to the city library.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Hi Karim,

I have just discovered your thread. Your commentary and photographs are fabulous. I know England is beautiful but sometimes we just take it all for granted. It is nice to see it through a fresh pair of eyes. Thank you for taking the time to create this thread and I look forward to more of your travels and the pictures that accompany them.

Kind regards

Tracy
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jerseygirl....The library was a very small one and it closed many years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.