Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get marry a Canadian citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen in Britain

Is it possible to get marry a Canadian citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen in Britain

Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

MrJami1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to get marry a Canadian citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen in Britain

Hello!

I am a Bangladeshi citizen at present leave in London under Tier 1{post study work) migrant visa. My girlfriend leaves in Montreal who is a Canadian citizen. Now want to get marry in London. Is it possible to get marry in London? If possible what procedure we should maintain?

Many thanks!

Masud
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:44 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to get marry a Canadian citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen in Brit

Hi,

I've moved your thread into our Moving Back to the UK forum for you, but to be honest I'm not sure our site is the right place for you. The majority of us (as per the name of the site) are British, so don't have to worry about living, working or marrying in the UK. Have you tried other communities? Maybe something like: http://www.banglacommunity.com/forum.php maybe better for you as they may understand the situation you are describing.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to get marry a Canadian citizen and a Bangladeshi citizen in Brit

This is another forum for immigrants working in the UK and they will be able to help you too.
www.immigrationboards.com

I think the visa you need will depend on where you are hoping to live after you are married. As you will no doubt be aware, this government has closed it's doors to settlement, for many on Tier 1 (PSW).

Last edited by formula; Jun 15th 2011 at 9:38 am.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:10 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

if she is coming to the UK for marriage she can apply for a marriage visa and then travel back to canada.
If you want her come back and live with you in the UK she will then need to apply for a dependant visa in Canada.

do look at the www.immigrationboards.com as shown above and post on there for more information
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think also you yourself would need a 'Certificate of Approval' depending how long your current visa has left to run (it needs to be either at least 6 or 3 months, can't remember which). She would need a 'Marriage Visit Visa' I think.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:00 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

COA has been abolished. Canadian will need a marriage visa if they plan to marry and then return to canada.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
COA has been abolished. Canadian will need a marriage visa if they plan to marry and then return to canada.
That's interesting, can people in the UK on a work or student visa get married without any other kind of special permission now?

I must admit I did think the COA was stupid, then again I think the Marriage Visit Visa is stupid too!