Job seekers allowance

Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Default Job seekers allowance

Hi all. I have read everything i can find on this subject to find out if i will be entitled
to get job seekers allowance once i return home, and i can not find any reason why i would not.

I am sure i have read somewhere though that i would have to be back in the UK for three months before i will be able to claim.
Is that true, if so where can i find that information?
Thank you.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job seekers allowance

There is no fixed qualifying period. But you may come across staff who want to apply one.

Have a look in this thread...it won't take too long to get through and you'll see a successful outcome with no qualifying period involved.

Anything you can show that shows you made a planned return will help. Giving up job/lease/selling in the country you leave....what are your plans in the UK and what you've done towards that, such as somewhere to live, work to do etc.
Opening a bank account, closing one where you left...having your belongings shipped over....a one way ticket...that sort of stuff.

It's all the sort of stuff that makes a return obvious, but I think it's so obvious that people neglect to mention it when applying for JSA.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There is no fixed qualifying period. But you may come across staff who want to apply one.

Have a look in this thread...it won't take too long to get through and you'll see a successful outcome with no qualifying period involved.

Anything you can show that shows you made a planned return will help. Giving up job/lease/selling in the country you leave....what are your plans in the UK and what you've done towards that, such as somewhere to live, work to do etc.
Opening a bank account, closing one where you left...having your belongings shipped over....a one way ticket...that sort of stuff.

It's all the sort of stuff that makes a return obvious, but I think it's so obvious that people neglect to mention it when applying for JSA.
Thank you for the thread, that was very useful information. Looks like she was approved in the end, that's encouraging.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:39 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

BristolUK gives good advice.

My husband (UKC) and I (USC) returned to the UK almost a year ago after living in the US for 6 years. Upon arrival, we immediately started job hunting and immediately registered for JSA. I could not qualify for JSA since I was, at the time, on a Visa, but my husband qualified and drew about £60-ish/week.

However .... he was initially denied because they weren't satisfied that we were intending to live here permanently.

After a few letters and phone calls (to dispute the ruling) and submission of proof (see examples in BristolUK's post), they ended up reversing the decision.

He drew JSA for several months before he (and I) eventually found full-time work.

Moral to my story: if they rule against you - fight it, but have all your ducks in a row beforehand.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
...my husband qualified and drew about £60-ish/week.

However .... he was initially denied because they weren't satisfied that we were intending to live here permanently.

After a few letters and phone calls (to dispute the ruling) and submission of proof (see examples in BristolUK's post), they ended up reversing the decision.

Moral to my story: if they rule against you - fight it, but have all your ducks in a row beforehand.
Thanks for posting that. It should encourage others
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks for posting that. It should encourage others
Thanks, i will try and bring as much information with me as i can.

These things are good to know, so one can be prepared.