Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning on moving back but to where?!

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Indeed, Northampton isn't a place I would call very nice. Though Northamptonshire is, mostly.
The reason why I think Northampton itself is nice, is because of its history and medieval feel, with numerous historical buildings and it has some nice suburbs of which one is very nice but I forget its name. I remember areas, where there were some very nice victorian houses which had plenty of room to keep the servants in and also it had some very nice parks as well etc. Its very much as an English city should be, instead of a planned out place like MK and its multitude of roundabouts. I am only using Northampton as an example because its close to MK. As a non Brit cities such as these hold far more appeal than say something like MK but this is of course just the perspective of somebody from overseas and not of somebody born and bred there.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
The reason why I think Northampton itself is nice, is because of its history and medieval feel, with numerous historical buildings and it has some nice suburbs of which one is very nice but I forget its name. I remember areas, where there were some very nice victorian houses which had plenty of room to keep the servants in and also it had some very nice parks as well etc. Its very much as an English city should be, instead of a planned out place like MK and its multitude of roundabouts. I am only using Northampton as an example because its close to MK. As a non Brit cities such as these hold far more appeal than say something like MK but this is of course just the perspective of somebody from overseas and not of somebody born and bred there.
Northampton may have an older center, but the modern suburbs and roads around it are pretty much the same as MK. Personally, I think MK has more going for it than Northampton.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:15 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Northampton may have an older center, but the modern suburbs and roads around it are pretty much the same as MK. Personally, I think MK has more going for it than Northampton.
It probably has more in terms of shopping malls and ammenties etc and the area that I couldn`t think of before is called Abington which I remember was very nice. I know Northampton has some shitty parts but that is the same as most places.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:26 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter lives in Northampton and I moved from rural Northamptonshire. You are correct Jules, if Northampton had not been burned down in the 1600's, it would have been the capital instead of London as it was the preferred meeting place for many royals and the rich because of it's location.
But....because of the fire, it does lack a lot of the buildings and history it would have had. In fact as of today, they are still rebuilding it.
Personally, I don't like Northampton but the surrounding areas and it's rural countryside is lovely. As a town, it seems lost. I lived there 6 years and never liked it. I thought like so many of Britains towns/cities, it needed to be cleaner and friendlier.
I prefer Oxford, Bath and York but then I love history.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by cricket1
My daughter lives in Northampton and I moved from rural Northamptonshire. You are correct Jules, if Northampton had not been burned down in the 1600's, it would have been the capital instead of London as it was the preferred meeting place for many royals and the rich because of it's location.
But....because of the fire, it does lack a lot of the buildings and history it would have had. In fact as of today, they are still rebuilding it.
Personally, I don't like Northampton but the surrounding areas and it's rural countryside is lovely. As a town, it seems lost. I lived there 6 years and never liked it. I thought like so many of Britains towns/cities, it needed to be cleaner and friendlier.
I prefer Oxford, Bath and York but then I love history.
You`ve made an unfair comparison there and completely changed the perspective of the discussion. To compare Northampton to Oxford, Bath or York is like comparing say Abingdon to Henley, Toronto to New York, Birmingham to London, Glasgow to Edinburgh, Madrid to Barcelona etc. The first towns or cities are ok but the second ones much much better. To live in Oxford, Bath or York one needs money because history and prestige cost in the UK, whereas they don`t need that much to live in Northampton and get some history as well on a budget price. If somebody wants to live in the MK part of the country they would probably choose Oxford, Bucks or Herts etc if they had plenty of money............If not they would probably choose places like MK, Northants or Beds etc. By the way I also love history.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:11 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

You`ve made an unfair comparison there and completely changed the perspective of the discussion. To compare Northampton to Oxford, Bath or York is like comparing say Abingdon to Henley, Toronto to New York, Birmingham to London, Glasgow to Edinburgh, Madrid to Barcelona etc. The first towns or cities are ok but the second ones much much better. To live in Oxford, Bath or York one needs money because history and prestige cost in the UK, whereas they don`t need that much to live in Northampton and get some history as well on a budget price. If somebody wants to live in the MK part of the country they would probably choose Oxford, Bucks or Herts etc if they had plenty of money............If not they would probably choose places like MK, Northants or Beds etc. By the way I also love history.

Are you kidding???? First off, I was stating a preference for where I'd rather live, not making a comparison. You read my post incorrectly. Secondly, because of the direct access to London- Birmingham, East Anglia and the Midlands have been notoriously expensive places to live due to the demand to live in a place which was easily accessible to work. Towns and cities with history might look nice, they don't necessarily appeal to anyone who's main priority is living in a location that suits their work and family.
I bought my house on the outskirts in 1996 for 126,000 pounds. I sold it in 2002 for nearly half a million so I think I know, having lived in the area and as property is one of my interests and businesses, how the prices are structured.
Northampton has a social mix of poor, middle class and extremely wealthy people. It also is the location for Formula 1 motor racing events and engineering companies. It can be an incredibly expensive place to live purely because of the various industries operating within the county.

Where do live Jules???
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:35 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Are you kidding???? First off, I was stating a preference for where I'd rather live, not making a comparison. You read my post incorrectly. Secondly, because of the direct access to London- Birmingham, East Anglia and the Midlands have been notoriously expensive places to live due to the demand to live in a place which was easily accessible to work. Towns and cities with history might look nice, they don't necessarily appeal to anyone who's main priority is living in a location that suits their work and family.
I bought my house on the outskirts in 1996 for 126,000 pounds. I sold it in 2002 for nearly half a million so I think I know, having lived in the area and as property is one of my interests and businesses, how the prices are structured.
Northampton has a social mix of poor, middle class and extremely wealthy people. It also is the location for Formula 1 motor racing events and engineering companies. It can be an incredibly expensive place to live purely because of the various industries operating within the county.

Where do live Jules???
Firstly, I didn`t read your post incorrectly and given a preference most people would live in the areas that you suggested. If work is the main priority, somebody will obviously choose something near where they work unless they are willing to commute long distances.

What only 374.000 profit in 6 years!!! You`re slipping......If you were as smart as you make out you could`ve got a lot more there honey. By the way, most of my family is involved in the construction business here in Spain, so I know a thing or two about this business myself

The social mix that you speak of is actually very common to a lot of cities in the UK anyway so nothing unique to Northampton there. Leicester and Nottingham for example have the same type of social set up and yes I have lived in one and know the other.

Jules live in bureaucratic Spain:curse:
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:39 am
Banned

Firstly, I didn`t read your post incorrectly and given a preference most people would live in the areas that you suggested. If work is the main priority, somebody will obviously choose something near where they work unless they are willing to commute long distances.

What only 374.000 profit in 6 years!!! You`re slipping......If you were as smart as you make out you could`ve got a lot more there honey. By the way, most of my family is involved in the construction business here in Spain, so I know a thing or two about this business myself

The social mix that you speak of is actually very common to a lot of cities in the UK anyway so nothing unique to Northampton there. Leicester and Nottingham for example have the same type of social set up and yes I have lived in one and know the other.

Jules live in bureaucratic Spain:curse:
You know wht Jules? It's 36 degrees here today, the air conditioning isn't working and frankly I'm too hot to care. Come back and argue another day when I'm more in the mood. Happy new year by the way.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:06 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

You know wht Jules? It's 36 degrees here today, the air conditioning isn't working and frankly I'm too hot to care. Come back and argue another day when I'm more in the mood. Happy new year by the way.
By the way I get irritable in the heat as well. I`m surprised though, that you haven`t got the money to fix your air conditioning I wasn`t arguing by the way just trying to lighten the discussion, given that we are in the festive period with supposedly goodwill to all men and women.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

J.A.Undiced will become famous soon enough

Wo! I thought I had written a piece and then forgotten! Like Fox Mulder said, 'The Truth IS out there' and was it in ET '[you] ...are not alone.

I am dual nationality, have lived in Van, BC for thress years 02-05 and just got back again in August. I moved back again for ALL the quoted reasons, the cost, expenses, schooling, violence (son mugged after 3 wks back in 05), space, rat race etc etc etc.

I too am from a professional backgound and have spent the last four months editing, re-editing and firing off resumes to diminishing numbers of jobs. I have had five interviews and four 'can't be assed to let you knows', and one 'thanks for applying' call (from a lawyer firm) but you are 'too experienced'. In recognition of BC employment issues (which it has always had) I have even spoken with/visited AB recruiters to try and take advantage of the so called 'labour shortgage'. I have again had NO reply to job applications submitted for jobs which were carefully targetted to ensure I 'checked all the boxes' (see - I even know how to use the correct vernacular ). Recruiters have advised me that despite AB ministers being in the UK on a 'labour shortage' crusade there is a gulf between what the politicians perceive as the need and the practical mechanism on the street for getting people employed. Result? The shortgage continues and I remain unemployed. How much more flexible can a candidate be to get work other than to look at the 'hottest' labour market in Canada?

I have NEVER had problems getting a job after obtaining an interview in the UK and 9/10 have had the courtesy of a reply even if 'no thanks'. But in describing yourself and me in my situation, therein lies the problem. Canada really does NOT need certain kinds of 'professional' employees. What it needs are shed loads of wallahs to do all the minimum wage jobs at $8 an hour. This is not opinion...it is observed fact. I cannot support my wife and kids on $8 an hour and I do not therefore look at the droves of such that litter Craigs. The other problem in BC is that there are just TOO many people coming here for the 'good life'. Consequently the too few good jobs are heavily oversubscribed and employers are consequently blase ( I have never seen so many people as here who are so scared of losing their jobs after like 30 yrs of service). Part of this is that every other job needs an MBA. I have a standing joke that soon you'll need one just to clean the 'shitter'. It is no wonder then that we have problems. Again it depends on WHAT type of work you do. If you are in a trade, nursing, dentistry, OA Carer etc you will be just fine. Asians don't do trades and there will always therefore be shortages......(hush my mouth). Others beware.

Personally, as a result of similar issues as you I am considering going back (ALONE!) to get work and leave my wife and kids here. This is what the much maligned (by white Canadians) Koreans do, probably to survive as if the likes of I cannot get appropriate work where does "kam sa ham ni da' get you? Let me tell you that I get unsolicited phone calls to my UK Skype no multiple times a week from recruitment agencies in the UK about work. In BC I can't even get agencies or employers who I have seen/applied to/spoken with to call me!!

The other problem you will have/will experience(d) is that as a Brit you tell it the way it is! Some Canadians will, but others (perhaps even some on this thread) are incapable of knocking something THEY are doing or following for fear of actually believing it. It's a bit like some religions who cannot discuss that others may have equal or perhaps BETTER validity, because if they verbalised it the 'demon' may become true! Americans are even worse. I'm told mantra's help

At the end of the day it is work, money, opportunity and the SYSTEM that makes your life work. Space doesn't, scenery doesn't and all the things that a place like Vancouver purports to offer. The UK is VERY far from perfect in a large number of regards but it WORKS, it generally has high standards of conduct and personal behavoiur (ever seen a driver in BC 'thank' you for letting them pull out in front of you?).

Go back, doesn't matter so much where to start with...keep it flexible...and enjoy what you know to make your life work. What the UK needs is people like you to go back and spread the word and make the UK the great place to live it deserves to be.....after all a million Poles can't be wrong ....sorry pepes I flipped out for a sec.... just kidding!!

Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

out of interest- are you guys aware of a site out there (google these words)

not canada

- the only reason I say this is because there are other folk who post their experiences in Canada and coming to Canada as well, good bad and indifferent, its worth a look...take some of the stories with a pinch of salt.

The program W5 in Canada, also did a documentary on new immigrants to Canada and the problems that they were having getting jobs....

Try and do as much research as you can before you make a decision... we stuck it out to get our Citizenship and it was damned hard....but we feel that it was worth it in the end. We have been here 6 years and hubby has only just got a job in his Profession....

Last edited by shelley748; Jan 3rd 2009 at 11:51 pm. Reason: not happy with wording
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:54 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by shelley748
out of interest- are you guys aware of the site (google these words) not canada

???
This is a site that has been around for a while and I believe put together by some very unhappy immigrants who slate the country but to be honest if they did some research before going there, they would know that despite being say a Doctor in their own country they will probably never practice medicine in Canada.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a site that has been around for a while and I believe put together by some very unhappy immigrants who slate the country but to be honest if they did some research before going there, they would know that despite being say a Doctor in their own country they will probably never practice medicine in Canada.
I actually think it was started by a UK couple who were both Pharmacists and moved from Birmingham to Vancouver and were trying to sue the Fed Gov for getting them to Canada under false pretences...

Don't know if they had any joy!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:15 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

J.A.Undiced You wrote { The other problem in BC is that there are just TOO many people coming here for the 'good life'. Consequently the too few good jobs are heavily oversubscribed and employers are consequently blase ( I have never seen so many people as here who are so scared of losing their jobs after like 30 yrs of service).

I use to live in Calgary and from what i remember was that people headed to BC because the weather was so much better,sure was boring in Calgary too although i was in my early 20s then so maybe i would feel differently now but Calgary seem to rely on mining and resources then and now that the boom is over perhaps jobs will go there as well .
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:19 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by shelley748
I actually think it was started by a UK couple who were both Pharmacists and moved from Birmingham to Vancouver and were trying to sue the Fed Gov for getting them to Canada under false pretences...

Don't know if they had any joy!
Site I read had a number of very angry asians on there heavily criticizing Canada.............The argument does seem to be, that if your skills and qualifications are good enough to qualify you to go to Canada then you should be able to work there in your chosen field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.