Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:59 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning on moving back but to where?!

Originally Posted by gmralston
Well I have read the comments about Milton Keynes with interest,
keep them coming.

Anyone know of any social problems, ie areas or estates that should be avoided ect?

I have read that Bletchley has some quite rough estates, anyone back this up? Actually I wish I had the chance to visit the town when we were in the UK last year.
I suppose there must be some decent estates around but Estates= Social problems and therefore most estates should be avoided, breeding grounds for chavs, racists, muggers and other undesirables. If in doubt about an estate, try walking through it in the hours of darkness to find out if it is safe or not Or even better venture into its local pub and gawp at the types that frequent the place.......that should tell you all you need to know. Do you plan on living on one? Or just concerned about living near one?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I suppose there must be some decent estates around but Estates= Social problems and therefore most estates should be avoided, breeding grounds for chavs, racists, muggers and other undesirables. If in doubt about an estate, try walking through it in the hours of darkness to find out if it is safe or not Or even better venture into its local pub and gawp at the types that frequent the place.......that should tell you all you need to know. Do you plan on living on one? Or just concerned about living near one?
News help a lot in finding a good place e.i. I would avoid places such as this one or you may start missing Canada pretty soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7801430.stm
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gezza
News help a lot in finding a good place e.i. I would avoid places such as this one or you may start missing Canada pretty soon.

I am really sorry if I had upset anyone, placing the news pointer in the above posting. Having spent some time reading the details of this horror story I feel this was wrong.

What an unspeakable shame about the beautiful young lady who died there!!

Apologies!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:08 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Which place are you referring to, as greater Manchester is a big area? And why would I miss Canada.......I don`t live there? And why does news help in finding a good place, as it normally depicts negativity and not much in the way of positivity
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I take no one ever gets murdered in Texas then?
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:12 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a crime related issue and it isn't an indicator of why not to live in that particular area. It's sounds like it's a tragic incident brought on by drink involving an innocent victim. This is happening everywhere and is part of the current issue surrounding tackling alcohol fuelled aggression.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I am really sorry if I had upset anyone, placing the news pointer in the above posting. Having spent some time reading the details of this horror story I feel this was wrong.

What an unspeakable shame about the beautiful young lady who died there!!

Apologies!
I doubt if anybody is upset because sad incidents such as these can be read in the British papers on a very regular basis, the nation is accustomed to hearing and reading such things.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:14 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by cricket1
This isn't a crime related issue and it isn't an indicator of why not to live in that particular area. It's sounds like it's a tragic incident brought on by drink involving an innocent victim. This is happening everywhere and is part of the current issue surrounding tackling alcohol fuelled aggression.
Its just a fluke incident that unfortunately had a very sad outcome.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt if anybody is upset because sad incidents such as these can be read in the British papers on a very regular basis, the nation is accustomed to hearing and reading such things.
...and in most other country's papers
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:21 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and in most other country's papers
Most other countries don`t sensationalize the news to the degree that the Uk does. So in many other country`s newspapers you probably wouldn`t read about these types of incidents.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cricket1
I lived near Milton Keynes on the outskirts of Northampton. My memory of it is that it's a grey concrete jungle with a fantastic shopping centre so there are some merits.
It's one of those dull, grey non event places which people can only really want to go to because of work.
There are far worse places though and there are some beautiful villages in that area. It's also close to London, rail links and the motorways. I wouldn't dismiss it if it's the stepping stone you need to get moving into the direction in which you want to go.

I find that when researching a place, it's often best to post on a local forum as few people know a place better than the locals. This link might be helpful to you.

http://www.mkweb.co.uk/forum/
I lived in MK in the 80s and in the Northants area as well. I thinkk the surrounding countryside is fine. MK would it seems to me have all the negatives you have stated about Vancouver - also it is not a cheap area to live. I would look in the outlying areas from M and also West of London - i.e West of Basingstoke area.

Good luck in your search and decisions.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:11 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

What everyone said. That sort of accident can happen all over. A few years ago a man on drugs/mentally ill stabbed a passerby on a busy Victoria street. A businessman on his lunch break. That isn't indicative of life in Victoria. But, in Victoria, which is considered a great place to live and is in many ways, there are no-go-after-midnight streets, and pretty regular drink and drug violence. Not to mention that most of the street dwellers (lots of those!) are mentally disturbed. For that reason, a lot of people won't go downtown, especially at night. Is it a reason not to live here? No.

On the street where we lived in Ottawa there were two murders within a couple of years. One was drug related, the other was a guy who killed his wife with a chainsaw. It was a great area to live, but these things happen. Life's like this and we can't insulate ourselves unless we want the dreaded gated communities.

Bev
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Most other countries don`t sensationalize the news to the degree that the Uk does. So in many other country`s newspapers you probably wouldn`t read about these types of incidents.
I would agree with that.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Milton Keynes is, that it is anti-UK as in it has no nice old buildings, no nice churches, no nice historical buildings or nice victorian houses etc. In fact it is very north american with its town planning and shopping centres etc and the dreaded roundabouts make it worse. In fact if you want to see anything old or historical, you have to go somewhere nearby like Northampton etc. Its probably a great place to visit for shopping and probably to work but I wouldn`t want to live there. I believe it came about because a lot of businesses relocated there from London, as the premises they could get there were a lot cheaper than London.
we used to live near Milton Keynes & there are a lot of lovely towns & villages nearby

the public transport 'in the country' though was appalling
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we used to live near Milton Keynes & there are a lot of lovely towns & villages nearby

the public transport 'in the country' though was appalling
I get the impression Milton Keynes is a car town, it's designed around the car with wider roads, lots of underpasses and loads of parking. Public transport is pretty weak compared to other UK towns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.