Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Planning on moving back but to where?!

Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:52 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning on moving back but to where?!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Personally I`d sooner freeze my nuts off in Ontario and be financially comfortable than to struggle in Vancouver.
With the windchill, we are hitting -22 tonight. It says -12 on my garden thermometer. Think struggling and freezing your nuts off.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to wish you all the best in doing what is right for YOU and YOUR family. I've never been to Canada so wont extol its virtues (or lack thereof) but I do know that if it isnt happening for you then you have the power to make the change and if you decide that you have better options back in UK then I say go for them!!!

Not quite sure that I would extol the virtues of MK either come to that - have you thought about Essex/Suffolk - close to Stanstead, commuting distance to London etc. I do like Sussex too but the housing seems to be more expensive down there.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:28 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Milton Keynes and the surrounding district is a a bit of a depressing area but if it was a stepping stone towards getting some sense of direction back, I'd take it if the job offer was good. There are plenty of surrounding villages that are pleasant and if you've lived in Canada or australia, then you'll realise that in terms of geographical space and distance, England is tiny so you can live in one place and work in another as long as you're prepared to face the reality that everyone has the same idea so congestion is probably the worst thing. It can take you ages to get anywhere.
I lived in Northamptonshire and went to Milton Keynes for shopping. It is an easily accessible place with good links to rail, motorways and most of the major cities including London.

I suspect your biggest issue is that you think you're failing your family? I wouldn't beat yourself up. What's done is done. I would make a plan (highly recommended) and do whatever it takes to make it happen but from a clear perspective. Don't run away or get too negative about everything that seems wrong. Try and get into an objective mode of thinking by weighing up all the good points of both Canada and the UK (always helps you feel more positive), and then see which ons suit you best as a family.
Canada and Australia seem identical in the fact that while living under a big sky is a good idea at the time, the downside is that in such a huge country with a much smaller population spread out over a vast surface area, opportunities are limited not to mention social and communication interaction.

Good luck with whatever you decide anyway. I think everyone understands and wants to help if they can.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:14 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that you say you'd be happy to stay if you had a good job, so can you say what you like about it? Or would it be more that you'd want to avoid the hassle of moving back?

My opinion of Vancouver is that it's good in parts and not in others and just way too big. But then I think all cities are way too big. Also very expensive, of course.

I also agree that the very nature of Canada -- its politics, provincial structure and national psychology -- doesn't suit some of us no matter how comfortably we're living. Clearly it suits others just fine.

Bev
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:16 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

I lived in Calgary for a few years and i can say Alberta with its provincial parks and great hiking in the rockies is great but i couldnt live there just not me i tried but i couldnt adjust to that Canadian thing abit empty kind of felt like another lemming but a good standard of living to be had if thats what turns you on but one must ask one self do i want to die hear seems strange but thats the final chapter for me i left and never looked back even now 20yrs later i dont feel any regrets home is where the heart is and until your really at home your just in a suitcase so go find your home stake your claim and build your life and die happy
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

OurStory, I don't think you should be embarrassed and hide your identity. People would think more of you, and see exactly what you have been through, as your original identity. With a new identity, it comes over trollish.

I hope you sort things out.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

When we were in uk my DH had to do a lot of traveling ....we have a house in westbury wilts,lovely area (hills and streams etc).....5 mins from train station ...... near to bristol airport (easy jet),quite good all round commutable place,not too exsepnsive house wise ,schools wre really nice there (4 years ago),clarendon trowbridge for seniors,westbury middle,
Our DS ,Dil and GS still live there , so we visit often xxxx GOOD LUCK in what ever you decide
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Now I have never been to Milton Keynes but I want to know what makes it so depressing? I myself have to chose a new place to live when I return next year and on paper (so to speak) Milton Keynes is fine, it's got those redways so you don't walk next the roads and it's got cycle ways for the kids. The photos I have seen look fine, nice lakes lots of parks, it's got a good town centre, good shopping, employment does not seem a big problem and crime rates are no higher than average. No traffic jams and plenty of concerts held there too. Someone coming from North America may fit in to Milton Keynes quite nice. I will be visiting in March so maybe I will see for myself what these problems are, and if it's just because there are too many roundabouts and too much concrete then I can see this place being in my shortlist.

Last edited by gmralston; Dec 24th 2008 at 7:53 am. Reason: to remove wrong quote
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmralston
Now I have never been to Milton Keynes but I want to know what makes it so depressing? I myself have to chose a new place to live when I return next year and on paper (so to speak) Milton Keynes is fine, it's got those redways so you don't walk next the roads and it's got cycle ways for the kids. The photos I have seen look fine, nice lakes lots of parks, it's got a good town centre, good shopping, employment does not seem a big problem and crime rates are no higher than average. No traffic jams and plenty of concerts held there too. Someone coming from North America may fit in to Milton Keynes quite nice. I will be visiting in March so maybe I will see for myself what these problems are, and if it's just because there are too many roundabouts and too much concrete then I can see this place being in my shortlist.
The problem with Milton Keynes is, that it is anti-UK as in it has no nice old buildings, no nice churches, no nice historical buildings or nice victorian houses etc. In fact it is very north american with its town planning and shopping centres etc and the dreaded roundabouts make it worse. In fact if you want to see anything old or historical, you have to go somewhere nearby like Northampton etc. Its probably a great place to visit for shopping and probably to work but I wouldn`t want to live there. I believe it came about because a lot of businesses relocated there from London, as the premises they could get there were a lot cheaper than London.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
The problem with Milton Keynes is, that it is anti-UK as in it has no nice old buildings, no nice churches, no nice historical buildings or nice victorian houses etc. In fact it is very north american with its town planning and shopping centres etc and the dreaded roundabouts make it worse. In fact if you want to see anything old or historical, you have to go somewhere nearby like Northampton etc. Its probably a great place to visit for shopping and probably to work but I wouldn`t want to live there. I believe it came about because a lot of businesses relocated there from London, as the premises they could get there were a lot cheaper than London.
Well that is what I suspected and that kind of thing is not really a problem to us. We are living in country with very poor infrastructure at the moment so we find the idea of a planned town quite appealing.

But if anyone would like to share their experiences with this town, I am interested on hearing them. As I say we have not been yet, only passed through on the train a few times.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 4:54 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is what I suspected and that kind of thing is not really a problem to us. We are living in country with very poor infrastructure at the moment so we find the idea of a planned town quite appealing.

But if anyone would like to share their experiences with this town, I am interested on hearing them. As I say we have not been yet, only passed through on the train a few times.
I lived near Milton Keynes on the outskirts of Northampton. My memory of it is that it's a grey concrete jungle with a fantastic shopping centre so there are some merits.
It's one of those dull, grey non event places which people can only really want to go to because of work.
There are far worse places though and there are some beautiful villages in that area. It's also close to London, rail links and the motorways. I wouldn't dismiss it if it's the stepping stone you need to get moving into the direction in which you want to go.

I find that when researching a place, it's often best to post on a local forum as few people know a place better than the locals. This link might be helpful to you.

http://www.mkweb.co.uk/forum/
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I've only visited it, so take what I say in that light. Also remember that I don't like suburbs and it feels to me like a big suburb. It's definitely down as a place I'd not choose.

I don't care for the ring roads/roundabouts. I assume once you know them they're efficient, but they all look the same, giving a kind of blandness, and despite instructions from our friends we get lost every time. The shopping centre is swish, and there's even that ski hill, but it felt kind of artificial to me.

However, the town was built around a number of villages and some of them still have that villagy feel.

Bev
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Well I have read the comments about Milton Keynes with interest,
keep them coming.

Anyone know of any social problems, ie areas or estates that should be avoided ect?

I have read that Bletchley has some quite rough estates, anyone back this up? Actually I wish I had the chance to visit the town when we were in the UK last year.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OurStory
Hi All,

Well I think me and my family are destined to return to UK from Vancouver very soon in the new year. At this point we would have been here a few years. Homesickness is NOT so much the problem as far as I'm concerned. Being sick of our situation in Vancouver IS very much the issue. I won't paraphrase my other recent posts but you're welcome to look these up.

So what has pushed me to this decision? Well a number of factors, any of which would have been justification on their own. The key two are (1) my work situation and (2) my family's state of mind and mental health.

Making this decision is not easy because there's always an unknown element. We've been away from Britain a relatively short period of time and on a recent visit back we all found it a breath of fresh air. One concern is my children's education although they are quite young still. Moving back to Britain means another major readjustment as my kids were never in UK schools when we moved out.

We're all pretty frustrated with our experience here. We're not "Losers" and don't have bad attitudes or blind to cultural differences or any other offensive remarks we've received from some people, sadly on this forum. The reality for us of living in Vancouver was very different to what we had come to expect and we had been researching for several years before we came out, so we felt we'd done as much as we could to prepare ourselves and assure ourselves as to what we were doing.

We were debating whether to hang in so we accumulate enough days to apply for citizenship, which would at least give us the option of coming back here to retire or for our kids to move out when they're older. But it's a big sacrifice on OUR wellbeing.

The other frustration is with my work. Before I came out I was a highly reputed professional in my field. I have not only failed to build this in Vancouver but as we're financially starved, I'm having difficulties finding work which doesn't even come close to meeting our living costs, in areas I would have never considered before. I have applied for any opportunity I see and have not even raised a flipping interview! And why does nobody ever advertise the stupid salary or rate here. Do companies really think people join Faceless Corp Inc because thy always wanted to work for them. People need money and if I see job ads without salary ranges specified, this says that they're not paying enough, so why waste anyone's time?! At the same time I still get job postings for UK job sites and in the time I've been here, my profession (which was relatively unknown) has boomed. Even entry level positions are well paid. This is handy because I feel like taking a position which is at least a couple of levels below where I'd normally be aiming, so that I can hopefully become gainfully employed without feeling like I'm struggling to remain in the shoes I've chosen.

I hear people going on about UK economy and how it's going to come off bad. But all the people I know there are doing really well and I believe Britain has always had strong politicians who come up with innovative solutions to problems. The Canadian government and opposition are just plain embarrassing. And with the whole world in economic turmoil, do I want to remain in a place that just follows every other country, but 10 years behind? Do I want to remain here in a place where I have to place a cost of my kid's lives because I cannot afford to match the medical coverage and certainties I'd have in the UK? Do I want to be in a place which has crazy levels of poverty and high taxation? A place that seems to be all take and no give. Where nobody seems to give a shite about anyone else? I'm not a moron and yet I wake up every day devastated by the decision that I made for my family, hoping that I haven't blown any chance of putting it right.

We're already planning on our return and one thing that shocked us is that it's almost as difficult as our original immigration. Despite knowing many parts of UK and having lived in some of these, choosing where to live comes down to many factors like lifestyle, community, work and opportunity, schools, climate and leisure.

Most of my work would be in larger cities, especially London. So living within commutable distance of the capital would be highly desirable. I often need to travel to other cities in UK and abroad, so being near an airport would help too, especially one served by easyJet. One such place, that I have never lived in but was thinking of it in the past, is Milton Keynes. I think although the place probably deserves some of the bad press associated with it, it's largely underrated and relatively affordable compared with most places. The only thing is that it's not an easy or reasonably priced commute to the Capital. There is a lot to do there. And as the new part is a North American style plan, it doesn't seem to suffer many of the problems that overloaded routes in the rest of Britain suffer. It also seems to have quite a bit of employment closer to hand with many Head Offices being based there. Ok ok I sound like I did 5 years ago, convincing myself to move to Vancouver, but the difference is that I do know the MK area quite well. Without having employment lined up in advance it would appear to be a good risk compared with plonking ourselves somewhere nearer London but 3 times the price, or out in a cheap nice area but then being distant from work. In contrast I'm finding Vancouver is like the worst of both these scenarios.

Just wondering what other people's experiences are with MK or moving back to UK. I don't think my family want us to which might sound really odd to most people. But my family sucks big style. They just don't want to have to help us out if we need it, although their lack of support (emotional and financial) while we've been in Canada is in part why we're now in the crap and wasted emotionally. And it's painful because we've always been able to stand on our own feet, but my sibling has lived off them for years.

It's good to see some 'good news' stories on the BE site. While I don't miss family I do miss British people and all of the many good things about the country that out-weigh (in my opinion) the bad. If times are going to get worse, I think Canada is going to become a very bad place to be based. And while Britain may not be the best place on earth (and it doesn't claim to be on its vehicle licence plates!), living in Vancouver has certainly made us wake up to how good life really is in Britain, and how much more we want to be there.

I'd welcome comments or responses to some of the questions above. Thank you.
We had moved back to England after 3 years in Vancouver, about 10 years ago. And although my job situation in BC was better than yours, we as a family had a very similar list of complaints adjusting to the Canadian way of doing things. Also in how one stands looking for a professional job from zero. We also met other Brits of whom many chose to bite the bullet and work their way through these pains.
For example I remember meeting a lady teacher of English from UK with some 10 years experience, who told me about being repeatedly rejected for the same position in BC primary schools in favor of some other immigrants who did not even speak English as their 1st language! Apparently.
For us one thing in the overall depression was the perpetual rain there. A garden lawn that is basically a bog for most of the year and 4 months with no sun drove me and my wife to the edge of mental resilience.
But in hindsight Van had very many good points, too. Nature spots: Hemlock resort, Harrison Hot Spings, Lake Allauette. You do not get so much so close anywhere in the world, I don’t think.
Today (!) after several years of trying it on back in: England, Poland (where we originate from),
and more recently in US we are convinced that we would no longer “choose” to be part of the British fabric as we had been (arguably) before we came out in 2000. Someone said here once that when you move countries you will never be the same person in ANY place. It’s like part of your soul is uprooted and dies and can not grow back. Well it does feel that way to us. We tried to live in Poland in 2007 after 20 years away, but after 10 months moved out faster than we’d come in. Against my personal experience of Poland and Canada, Britain and US seem more transparent in the job market. As you say: you know better what to expect and that your success does depend on how you perform professionally. Here is my advise to you: Research British recruitment companies in the US (of which there are many) and try to get hired in US e.g. Seattle, instead of moving all the way back to England. Your relatives sound the same as ours, by the way. I knew several people who worked in Seattle whilst living in BC. For a while it will be ok. And you will find working in an American firm more pragmatic and familiar, regain your “feel good” factor. After our great trek I personally love working in the US. Here it really boils down to the quality and speed of your work. Good bye the European “crony pecking orders”

Basically I would caution about moving back to England. Milton Keynes? Come on, seriously. The salaries vs. the costs of living could mean a pretty uncomfortable start for your family, even there. If you have children in school age, US is better than what we had in Surrey,UK. Not to mention BC schools.

Anyways I hope it helps you a little.
And have a great 2009!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danny B
Look I didn't come here to pick a fight and put you down, how can I possibly give you advice when your circumstances are unknown. How can you be near bankruptcy with substantial equity in your home? Wouldn't they just auction it and give back the bank what you owe on your mortgage?

By downsizing I meant selling your current place to free up some cash and then buy (or rent) a smaller place. Houses are selling, albeit slowly and for 30% less than this time last year, but that's the world over not just here.

My Wife works in Canadian Tire earning $8.50hr, she is friends with people who are a Husband & Wife team ie- both working at Canadian Tire earning minimum wage. They have 2 kids, rent a place to live, have one car and the other takes the bus. I don't mean to sounds patronising, but living on a low wage can be done, not everyone in Vancouver earns $70k+. The question is, would you work in a shop earning minimum wage until you found a suitable job?

Some people have this thing about being a qualified professional and doing a job which to them is beneath them, the best thing to do is get out there and network. You still haven't said what it is you do, who knows, someones Husband / Wife working at a shop could be looking for someone in your profession right now. Over here it's all about who you know, not what you know.

I'm sorry if I upset you, it wasn't my intent, believe me I do know exactly how you feel. Your job in Vancouver will come...eventually. You'll look back on these times and remind yourself how strong you were.

I would hate to see you pack everything in, move back to the UK and be stuck in the same situation as you are in now. I wouldn't even contemplate moving back there (UK) until early 2010.

Whatever you decide, good luck
I wouldn't even contemplate moving back there (UK) until early 2100.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.