Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Just wondering about this - are most of the ping pong poms people who didn't stay very long in Oz the first time? I think it would be interesting to find out how many go back to the UK after being in Oz for say, more than 2 years, and then end up ping ponging. I think it might be (and am hoping I am right) that the ones who only stay in Oz for a few months and then go back home are the ones that regret it and come back to Oz to try again.

Any information/answers would be good.....

Jo
The psychology of ping-ponging is a fascinating subject. I'm also trying to determine my likelihood of bouncing back to Perth if we leave.

We've been here almost three years, and when we leave it will definitely be after exhausting all possibilities here, so there will be no excuses that we can roll out later to convince ourselves it will be different in Oz next time (didn't give it long enough, culture shock, were in the wrong place, had a baby, etc).
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Just curious, but did anyone consider moving to a diff state in Oz?? If i've been unhappy in England i have moved to a different area... Only an idea, as when we go to Oz, if i'm not happy where we go initially my plan is to explore Oz a bit more, might stumble on our bit of paridise????

Good luck to everyone with whatever they decide, dont be too hasty.. S-j x
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:38 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Est
Did you return home then? - was it the right decision? I am longing for home and know that we will be returning after xmas. We can always return to oz until 2011 with no questions asked - but honestly can not see it happening. I need my family and friends around me also to enjoy my life as they are such a massive part of me. I cannot imagine having children without my mum close by 24 hours is a long way if I need her help
Yes we returned home to the UK after 16 months in Perth. We travelled home via the Indian Pacific Train across the Nullabor to Adelaide which was brilliant!. We thought Adelaide was great adn so much more 'with it' than Perth. Although most cities in the East slate Adelaide for being like a country town, what must they think of Perth then!!!?? We then went on to Sydney for a week. Nice places and much more buzzing than Perth but we still wanted to come home. Being in another city might have been ok for a while after living in Perth but family are still thousands of miles away and Australia is so far away it doesn't matter which city you live in.

Good luck in your decision
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:59 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Just curious, but did anyone consider moving to a diff state in Oz?? If i've been unhappy in England i have moved to a different area... Only an idea, as when we go to Oz, if i'm not happy where we go initially my plan is to explore Oz a bit more, might stumble on our bit of paridise????

Good luck to everyone with whatever they decide, dont be too hasty.. S-j x

Yes we have. Hubby still wants to live on the Gold Coast. If we went it would only be floating my boat for a little while. Then all the things that are 'wrong' would come back to me. Things like;

1) Being able to get to your family, QUICKLY, when they need you (bless poor Kath ) and being able to spend regular time with them, not just a few weeks every year or so.
2) My old friends who know the real me.
3) The seasons changing, not just stinking heat, then sunny rainy days.
4) The history and culture that only England has.
5) Hopping over to europe for a few quid....that's priceless.

All these things and more we took for granted. We would never find them in Australia. That's a definite.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:30 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Agree completely. Did 7 months. Now almost 12 back in the UK and am heading back. On these forums everyone advises you give it at least two years, but a lot of people ignore this, like myself

Just wondering about this - are most of the ping pong poms people who didn't stay very long in Oz the first time? I think it would be interesting to find out how many go back to the UK after being in Oz for say, more than 2 years, and then end up ping ponging. I think it might be (and am hoping I am right) that the ones who only stay in Oz for a few months and then go back home are the ones that regret it and come back to Oz to try again.

Any information/answers would be good.....

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Bex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to all

3) The undecideds, who can't make up their mind where they want to be the most. (Poor sods!)[/QUOTE]

Ha, this is us perfectly!!! And yes, poor sods are indeed! We wish we had never gone to Oz, then we would never have known what we were missing!

We lived in Perth for 8 years, loved it there. But after convincing ourselves that we could never settle as we were missing family too much we came back in Jan this year. So we definately gave it a good go over there.

Anyway, we will be heading back at the end of this year - not really my choice, I love it here, but hubby and kids desperately want to go back. Looking forward, I want to go back for the kids sake - life here for them does not offer a lot. And my dreams of lots of family bonding fell flat - they had all moved on - 8 years to live their lives with out us changed a lot of things. After the initial buzz our day to day life here is really hard going.

The problem is I want it all - family and Oz - cant tho!!!

Becky
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:17 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi Esther

now dont laugh, its only been 8 weeks. Im in SA a place called Yunta. Nothing wrong with the place apart from it been isolated, but made some friends here, and connected with a lovely couple in Gladstone.

but the feeling of oh my god has been overwhelming, especailly the last week. Had a lot to do with the job as well.

Im so undecided but son says he really does not want to come over and that was one of the reasons I was going to stick it out, give him an easy ride when his time came, (ie sponser him or whatever)

so im feel a lot in limbo at the moment.

Nothing wrong with it..........other than it might be the most boring spot on the continent. I think it really is the case that WHERE in oz you choose to live is far more important than where in the UK you base yourself-many poms who don't stay in Oz didnt realise this...I suspect.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:24 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Nothing wrong with it..........other than it might be the most boring spot on the continent. I think it really is the case that WHERE in oz you choose to live is far more important than where in the UK you base yourself-many poms who don't stay in Oz didnt realise this...I suspect.
Ah, so you've made it into the MBTTUK forum? When are you planning to move back?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:12 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Betty Boot

Thanks for your reply. Maybe that is the key, the fact that you were homesick and didn't actually dislike your life in Perth. Would you say that was true? I think a lot of us on here just don't like life in Perth and that is the reason for wanting to go home. Are our reasons for going less likely to make us ping pong ??????

Jo
Are you having second thoughts now you have sold the house ? might be easier just to Pong instead of Ping [only joking ofcourse],good luck with your move home .
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of those poor sods....

I was here for just under 2 years, went for a trip back as i missed it and came back to get the passport.
Then 2 years later I returned to UK 'for good' I thought.
14 months later I returned to Oz. (I know)

Its been good to return in many ways, I'm glad I did.
I have now lived for nearly 2 years in the area I hadnt tried and leaned towards and think/hope that if I do decide to return to UK to live, I'll do so knowing that much as I like the climate here and other stuff, its actually the UK I want to live. I dont see myself here long term so thats all rather good in my mind.

I wouldnt wish ping ponging on anyone - its a total headspin and makes you fell like a crazy coconut at times
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:32 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Exile
The psychology of ping-ponging is a fascinating subject. I'm also trying to determine my likelihood of bouncing back to Perth if we leave.

We've been here almost three years, and when we leave it will definitely be after exhausting all possibilities here, so there will be no excuses that we can roll out later to convince ourselves it will be different in Oz next time (didn't give it long enough, culture shock, were in the wrong place, had a baby, etc).
The psychology is fascinating but boils down to this-when in the UK they werent happy and dream of Oz-go to Oz, not happy, dream of the UK. Never occurs to them that it might not be the place.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Ah, so you've made it into the MBTTUK forum? When are you planning to move back?
Petty Stalins Russia is no more-you would have made a good thought policeman.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
The psychology is fascinating but boils down to this-when in the UK they werent happy and dream of Oz-go to Oz, not happy, dream of the UK. Never occurs to them that it might not be the place.
You cant assume that a ping pong hasnt been happy either in UK or Oz

They may actually love both places. They may be torn for whatever reasons.
Its a huge decision moving here and a bigger one to move back.
I have ping n ponged and yes, I was happy in the UK, yes I have been happy here too. Yes at times wasnt happy in UK or here (part of life)

Your post implies that only those who arent happy anywhere ping pom which I dont agree with.

It can be really confusing
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
You cant assume that a ping pong hasnt been happy either in UK or Oz

They may actually love both places. They may be torn for whatever reasons.
Its a huge decision moving here and a bigger one to move back.
I have ping n ponged and yes, I was happy in the UK, yes I have been happy here too. Yes at times wasnt happy in UK or here (part of life)

Your post implies that only those who arent happy anywhere ping pom which I dont agree with.

It can be really confusing
Well said, we are currently in the process of pinging and we do love both places, each has many benefits and disadvantages.

We just want to be back with friends, family and our old social lives.

Hopefully we wont pong but I wont rule it out yet!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wafc
Well said, we are currently in the process of pinging and we do love both places, each has many benefits and disadvantages.

We just want to be back with friends, family and our old social lives.

Hopefully we wont pong but I wont rule it out yet!!
Hi WAFC

Cheers
I hope you love being back and appreciate all the UK has to offer.
And that you dont pong back too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.