Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Just wondering about this - are most of the ping pong poms people who didn't stay very long in Oz the first time? I think it would be interesting to find out how many go back to the UK after being in Oz for say, more than 2 years, and then end up ping ponging. I think it might be (and am hoping I am right) that the ones who only stay in Oz for a few months and then go back home are the ones that regret it and come back to Oz to try again.

Any information/answers would be good.....

Jo
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:22 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Just wondering about this - are most of the ping pong poms people who didn't stay very long in Oz the first time? I think it would be interesting to find out how many go back to the UK after being in Oz for say, more than 2 years, and then end up ping ponging. I think it might be (and am hoping I am right) that the ones who only stay in Oz for a few months and then go back home are the ones that regret it and come back to Oz to try again.

Jo
I've been in Aus for two years. I've not yet pinged, but will definitely be ponging.

I think that there are three types:

1) People who go back to give it a go again because they feel that they didn't try it properly the first time (like you say, they feel they left early).

2) People who like both places and are happy doing stints in both (I think I'll be one of these).

3) The undecideds, who can't make up their mind where they want to be the most. (Poor sods!)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:33 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ping Pongers - do they mostly stay in Oz for a short time initially???

Jo...stop it now woman!!! You're going to set us all off scared silly that we'll all be ponging after 12 months in the UK.

The way I see it is this: the longer you are in a place, the better you know it. You can form more rational reasons as to why a place either works for you or it doesn't. Therefore you can logically think it out and rationalise it. I hope. Folk who rush back after only a few months have unfinished business and need to come back and do it properly, therefore they pong.

I know when I get back to the UK there will be things about this place I'll miss. But then there's a lot more things in the UK I miss more when I'm here. So the scales are more heavy on the UK side for me. Maybe one day, when all the parents are fluttering around by the pearly gates, we'll pong. Who knows.

One big lesson I've learned here: never say never. It kinda hedges your bets saying that!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

dont know whether im a pinger or ponger.

only been here a number of weeks (yep i hear, not given it long enough)

but already looking into going back, for numerous reasons, however, the visa i am on will not allow me to return at any time...hence the reason for doubt at this time despite feeling really misearabe most of the time.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:29 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light

lollyno1 - how many weeks have you been here? where are you?

We are in brisbane and I knew from the moment we left manchester airport - I wanted to be back.

We are staying until Christmas and then selling up and moving back.

Esther x
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Est

We are in brisbane and I knew from the moment we left manchester airport - I wanted to be back.

We are staying until Christmas and then selling up and moving back.

Esther x
hi Esther

now dont laugh, its only been 8 weeks. Im in SA a place called Yunta. Nothing wrong with the place apart from it been isolated, but made some friends here, and connected with a lovely couple in Gladstone.

but the feeling of oh my god has been overwhelming, especailly the last week. Had a lot to do with the job as well.

Im so undecided but son says he really does not want to come over and that was one of the reasons I was going to stick it out, give him an easy ride when his time came, (ie sponser him or whatever)

so im feel a lot in limbo at the moment.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

God I hope Im not one of them ping pongers!!! once back Im hoping a few fixes in Spain etc will help fill me in on the sunshine and of course theres always the sunbed

Cant understand if you really hate a place or cant settle why on earth would you want to return to it???
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with you Kath. Why go back to somewhere you were really fed up in?

If ever we did pong, it would be over east I reckon. Like I said, never say never...just edge your bets!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family

Jo
Well we were in Perth for six years before returning to the UK, felt homesick so often during that time but never hated the place and have never hated the UK either just cant see us staying here. I do regret leaving Perth but keep telling myself we had to do it or we would always live with "what if"
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Well we were in Perth for six years before returning to the UK, felt homesick so often during that time but never hated the place and have never hated the UK either just cant see us staying here. I do regret leaving Perth but keep telling myself we had to do it or we would always live with "what if"
Hi Betty Boot

Thanks for your reply. Maybe that is the key, the fact that you were homesick and didn't actually dislike your life in Perth. Would you say that was true? I think a lot of us on here just don't like life in Perth and that is the reason for wanting to go home. Are our reasons for going less likely to make us ping pong ??????

Jo
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

AnnieT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
We felt pretty much the same. We left the UK in May 1995 for Melbourne, we'd been there a few times before so we did know the place before we went. Came back to the UK in August 1999, lasted 6 weeks, flew back to Melbourne and finally came back here in 2002.

We loved Melbourne, made some great friends that we have stayed in contact with and we've been back for a holiday since, but it just never felt like home. It's weird though, because as much as the UK is home, we're still not really settled here either.

Annie
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I think once you have left a country it does make you unsettled, my family moved all over the place when we were younger and Mum and Dad only really settled about 15 years ago (they are in their 70's now), so i think we all develop a bit of gypsy in us and once we have "flown the nest" so to speak we realise how easy it is to move around, I know I for one never seem to settle anywhere my poor kids dont know if we are coming or going

Its great to have the opportunity to do it though, and even if we return to UK Im sure eventually itchy feet will get the better of us and we will try something new (not Perth though )
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:54 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Est

I knew from the moment we left manchester airport - I wanted to be back.

Esther x
SNAP...except we left from Heathrow. I know just how you feel. After 16 months I still felt the same and I know I would have felt the same if I'd stayed longer...oh what a thought
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:35 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in Oz for 21/2years and have been back in UK about the same amount of time. You know what I STILL miss certain things about Oz. One is space......!

But for now we are still here in the UK, still enjoying it and loving the fact that blossom is starting to come out of the trees when I walk our daughter to school and yes today is expected to be another sunny day....roll on summer.!!

Not sure if we will pong back to Oz.....!! Wait and see....!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:20 am
Est
Forum Regular

Est is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of lightEst is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by janeyray
SNAP...except we left from Heathrow. I know just how you feel. After 16 months I still felt the same and I know I would have felt the same if I'd stayed longer...oh what a thought

Did you return home then? - was it the right decision? I am longing for home and know that we will be returning after xmas. We can always return to oz until 2011 with no questions asked - but honestly can not see it happening. I need my family and friends around me also to enjoy my life as they are such a massive part of me. I cannot imagine having children without my mum close by 24 hours is a long way if I need her help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.