Ping pong pom

Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:14 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping pong pom

Originally Posted by Coda
fish
I think you just pulled Joules. Oh well, you'll learn not to hang out in certain places.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

fish
I thank you.

I thought it was obvious Jules!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:22 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think you must have picked a really crap area to move back too, there are good and bad parts to every country. Have you thought of just moving within the UK before putting out the expense to move countries all over again?
What were your reasons for moving back? Weren't you happy with your life in OZ/NZ the things that made you move haven't changed.
Putney?

I think you'll find its one of the nicest parts of London.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:23 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highersights
Surely it's fair enough. Coda is posting on MBTTUK because she moved back to the UK, and is sharing her experience. There is a tendency on this forum only to 'allow' good reports of the return - indeed to promote them - which distorts the reality of the collective experience of moving back to the UK and creates a very biased picture. Negative postings are often shot down unless they are expressed extremely sensitively. Not everyone is include to be so balanced, or untruthful. If the post was one slagging of the UK from someone who had moved away and never moved back, then fair enough - that is outside the scope of the forum. But Coda has in fact moved back to the UK. It sends a clear message to future disgruntled returnees "Don't rock our boat".

Indeed, under the link for this forum it states:
"Moving back to the UK after a long spell abroad can be very daunting. Share your experiences or ask a question."

I appreciate negative reports can be uncomfortable for some thinking about returning, but perhaps they can provide a little balance too, or maybe even help prevent a very expensive mistake in some cases. Coda may be a fairly 'robust' in her criticisms of the UK, but she is just sharing her experience of moving back to the UK - the raison d'être of the forum.

Personally speaking, I don't understand why anyone has to create an excuse to leave any country by only leaving negative comments. I am British, I feel offended when someone hurts my country therefore I am going to defend it. I do not believe people here are so insecure or confused that they need to wrapping up in cotton wool by not hearing a balanced view. Coda did not give a balanced view, she gave England, based on living in London, a slating.
it's far more the case, that people on the forum disagree and do not accept her views because they can see the wider view while she is somewhat narrow and biased in her opinion.

Sorry Coda, just my own humble opinion having lived all over the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I thank you.

I thought it was obvious Jules!
Great minds often miss the most obvious details
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cricket1
Personally speaking, I don't understand why anyone has to create an excuse to leave any country by only leaving negative comments. I am British, I feel offended when someone hurts my country therefore I am going to defend it. I do not believe people here are so insecure or confused that they need to wrapping up in cotton wool by not hearing a balanced view. Coda did not give a balanced view, she gave England, based on living in London, a slating.
it's far more the case, that people on the forum disagree and do not accept her views because they can see the wider view while she is somewhat narrow and biased in her opinion.

I was replying specifically to Sue's post as it is am important issue for whether this forum is actually what it is advertised as being for - sharing experiences.

But on your point, Coda doesn't have to give a balanced view - a truthful one should be enough, even if it is just that person's experience. And it sure hit a few nerves. It was not what people want to hear, and it sounds like that that not OK.

Sadly there is very much a pack mentality on this forum - perhaps others too. I am just trying to expose some of the groupthink that goes on...as groupthink can be very damaging, even though it may feel like it helps while people are in it.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:34 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Here's a list of places in the UK i've lived in - before I went to OZ.

Manchester
London
Blackpool
Nottingham
Luton
Blandford
St-Annes
Bournemouth
Highcliffe
Wendover
Aylesbury
New Milton

I think that allows me to comment on England as a whole given that there is a good cross section there - villages, towns, cities, North, Midlands, South etc.

I've been virtually all over the UK. Let's compare lists!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:39 am
Banned

Manchester
London
Blackpool
Nottingham
Luton
Blandford
St-Annes
Bournemouth
Highcliffe
Wendover
Aylesbury
New Milton

I think that allows me to comment on England as a whole given that there is a good cross section there - villages, towns, cities, North, Midlands, South etc.

Easy to say that Coda. We can all say it in fact can't we? Yet you only refer to London?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:40 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Easy to say that Coda. We can all say it in fact can't we? Yet you only refer to London?
I can say it, and back it up with insider knowledge. I can give details
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I meant to add that Coda was not hurting your country, she was criticising it. If you look at the comments on any British newspaper wesbite, the majority opinion is not that far off Coda's. Who did she really hurt? And if people were not insecure, why would they feel the need to get personal with Coda? I am all for people arguing both sides but negative experiences really do get flamed on here unless they are expressed with lots of caveats and very sensitively.

I'm just asking questions...I am a passionate believer in free speech for all angles but have seen this replayed in this forum in particular for years.

I respect your views a lot by the way.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Manchester
London
Blackpool
Nottingham
Luton
Blandford
St-Annes
Bournemouth
Highcliffe
Wendover
Aylesbury
New Milton

You've lived in more places than me! I'm not having that. <packs cases>
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:45 am
Banned

You've lived in more places than me! I'm not having that. <packs cases>
ha, there's probably a few i've forgotten about. Anyhow, the point is i've lived all over England. Do I really need to move somewhere else to tell me what I already suspect? No.

Anyhow, im over this thread. Later peeps
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:48 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Coda;7301183]Here's a list of places in the UK i've lived in - before I went to OZ.

Manchester: Its ok I suppose, if you like Coronation Street and Man.Utd
London: Very nice place....One of my favs
Blackpool: Good for drag queen shows
Nottingham: Its got Sherwood Forest with Robin and his merry men.
Luton: Shit-hole
Blandford: Don`t know it
St-Annes: Don`t Know it
Bournemouth: mmmmmm Very posh and nice and near the sea side.
Highcliffe: Don`t know it
Wendover: Sounds like it would be nice, is it near Dover?
Aylesbury: Its in Bucks therefore probably nice
New Milton: Don`t know it, its not like Milton Keynes is it?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

ha, there's probably a few i've forgotten about. Anyhow, the point is i've lived all over England. Do I really need to move somewhere else to tell me what I already suspect? No.

Anyhow, im over this thread. Later peeps
Well we've both lived in Manchester and Bournemouth. I must say, being Mancunian, moving to Bournemouth was like moving to another country. Sadly it is no longer the place it was even 10 years ago. I felt safer in Manchester out at night! Some of the other places on your list sound pretty posh to a commoner such as mah self. Except Blandford...which is not a good name for any town. But surely there are some good places among that little lot - I know not all my haunts have been dire, at least before my arrival. I am very fond of several villages I have visited or lived in, and some cities. Still, I share your misgivings about the state of the nation.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Jules Europe;7301208]

Manchester: Its ok I suppose, if you like Coronation Street and Man.Utd Ay, it's &%$@in' boss lad.
London: Very nice place....One of my favs No. The last time I went there were two human poos within 10-15 metres of one another...on the pavement.
Blackpool: Good for drag queen shows And nothing else.
Nottingham: Its got Sherwood Forest with Robin and his merry men. Scary city.
Luton: Shit-hole Agreed. Been two many times (more than once). Torture.
Blandford: Don`t know it Can't get past the name.
St-Annes: Don`t Know it Posh for Northerners...I think it's near Blackpool
Bournemouth: mmmmmm Very posh and nice and near the sea side. No, it's not. Not any more. Well, it's still by the sea. Or it was. Maybe it's under water now what with climate change and all that.

Highcliffe: Don`t know it It is in Dorset. I think I have been there and I think it was nice. EDIT: Actually it is very nice - one of my favourite places in the UK. Well worth a visit - lovely castle and cliff-top walks.
Wendover: Sounds like it would be nice, is it near Dover?
Aylesbury: Its in Bucks therefore probably nice
New Milton: Don`t know it, its not like Milton Keynes is it? New Forest, by the sea. Nice but a locals' area. And a very white area.

Last edited by highersights; Feb 19th 2009 at 11:08 am. Reason: I remembered about Highcliffe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.