ping pong!!

Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

lisa1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ping pong!!

Hi Libby,

I enjoyed reading that!

We are in the process of applying for a visa so not actually an ex pat yet, although these sites are just as important for us before we do it!

My parents are the opposite and very close with my children and my mum is close to tears when we even talk about this move, but I am thinking for all our and especially my childrens future and this isn't easy!

We have been told Adelaide is where we'd be due to State sponsorship, whats it like there?

I'd love to hear.

Don't worry about your parents. Its great now you and your mum are friends again and deep down inside your mum knows you've done the right thing sometimes they find it hard to agree and admit they were wrong....good on ya girl for having the guts to follow your heart!

Good luck!

Lisa

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hi,

For any one who remembers me, we returned to the UK after feeling very homesick only after a few days in Adelaide and sticking it out for 9 months to return to England just before Christmas.

We got back to normal life in Derbyshire, and at first it was great, if not a little cold, with family being there for us and actually they did have the kids for us so we could do some Christmas shopping, as we had nothing so all was good.

Anyway, Christmas came and went and so did the family support that I thought would be better having gone and come back. I got so much emotional blackmail off my Mum and MIL in Oz saying things would be so different if we came back and when you are a few thousand miles away its horrible having your Mum crying everytime you speak to her and the guilt is terrible so you start thinking their way. I would not mind that if they were grandparent who were alway there but once a month because they feel that they should have them, and that is both sets.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we returned but things got to the same point where my Kids only saw their grandparents a couple of times (they only lived 10 mins away) in the 6 months we were there (although my mates were amazing.) We were thinking why the hell did we come back, we did not give it long enough, we should have never given in to the emotional blackmail and thats why we are now back in Australia and it was a great feeling to be back here. We did not go back to Adelaide and thought we would give the Gold Coast a go and so glad we have. Its such a different place and in my opinion a better one for us.

My Mum did fall out with me and stopped all comunication with us when we told her we were returning, which is fair enough, she said she could not cope with saying goodbye again and did not want to speak or see us before we left which was really hard, and I went through the crying, numbness, and then anger that she could be like this to us because everyone else was so supportive to us. Anyway, now we are here we have been in contact and things are better between us as I can see no point in holding a grudge this far apart. She explained that now we are here she can cope with it and do text every couple of weeks and I ring her, although it will be a while before I can totally forget how she treated us. (but fully understand why).

I suppose what I am trying to say to anyone returning, do it because its what you want to do, not because you have been bullied in to it. You will regret it as soon as you have passed customs at Heathrow, like we did. Christmas made us channel our thoughts in to the Kids and there well being and being happy, but deep down we (hubby and me) were thinking the same thing, when can we get back to OZ. We did give the family a chance to change and become good grandparents - what we thought would be acceptable for my kids and would have cancelled our Australian life for them, but that did not happen.

Cor blimey I do go on a bit dont I.

Therapy, wow, I do feel better.

LibbyX
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:04 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The shipping companies must love ping pong poms.
We do my record is one family 4 times ............ mm
Old Aug 20th 2006, 3:52 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

we knew some people who had about 5/6/7 children - some terrifying number like that anyway. They moved to NZ and back three times. Well, they started here, went out came back etc. They've been there almost 8 years this time thought so maybe they'll stay.

The moral of that little story is beware what comes back to bite you, as when they were in the midst of all that I just thought, 'how hard can it be to make your mind up?'
Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

loveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant future
Smile Re: ping pong!!

Hi,

For any one who remembers me, we returned to the UK after feeling very homesick only after a few days in Adelaide and sticking it out for 9 months to return to England just before Christmas.

We got back to normal life in Derbyshire, and at first it was great, if not a little cold, with family being there for us and actually they did have the kids for us so we could do some Christmas shopping, as we had nothing so all was good.

Anyway, Christmas came and went and so did the family support that I thought would be better having gone and come back. I got so much emotional blackmail off my Mum and MIL in Oz saying things would be so different if we came back and when you are a few thousand miles away its horrible having your Mum crying everytime you speak to her and the guilt is terrible so you start thinking their way. I would not mind that if they were grandparent who were alway there but once a month because they feel that they should have them, and that is both sets.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we returned but things got to the same point where my Kids only saw their grandparents a couple of times (they only lived 10 mins away) in the 6 months we were there (although my mates were amazing.) We were thinking why the hell did we come back, we did not give it long enough, we should have never given in to the emotional blackmail and thats why we are now back in Australia and it was a great feeling to be back here. We did not go back to Adelaide and thought we would give the Gold Coast a go and so glad we have. Its such a different place and in my opinion a better one for us.

My Mum did fall out with me and stopped all comunication with us when we told her we were returning, which is fair enough, she said she could not cope with saying goodbye again and did not want to speak or see us before we left which was really hard, and I went through the crying, numbness, and then anger that she could be like this to us because everyone else was so supportive to us. Anyway, now we are here we have been in contact and things are better between us as I can see no point in holding a grudge this far apart. She explained that now we are here she can cope with it and do text every couple of weeks and I ring her, although it will be a while before I can totally forget how she treated us. (but fully understand why).

I suppose what I am trying to say to anyone returning, do it because its what you want to do, not because you have been bullied in to it. You will regret it as soon as you have passed customs at Heathrow, like we did. Christmas made us channel our thoughts in to the Kids and there well being and being happy, but deep down we (hubby and me) were thinking the same thing, when can we get back to OZ. We did give the family a chance to change and become good grandparents - what we thought would be acceptable for my kids and would have cancelled our Australian life for them, but that did not happen.

LibbyX
Libby im sending you some karma - was touched by your story and can relate to it. You are so doing the right thing by putting your immediate family and yourself first for quality of life.

For those of you in Oz having doubts and thinking of returning to the UK to be near family ive been there and done this like Libby and am on my way back to Oz Oct time ish and will be writing a thread as well shortly as to our feelings on the issue, why we returned, and after 3 years why we are now returning to Oz. Look out for it in the Australia section thread. Libby want to wish all your family all the best tis hard going through but worth it.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:57 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Hi,

LibbyX
Glad you are happy and settled in Pacific Pines. We live in Pacific Pines too and love it. Where are you from in the UK?

Tracey x
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
Glad you are happy and settled in Pacific Pines. We live in Pacific Pines too and love it. Where are you from in the UK?

Tracey x

Not seen this thread around for a while.

We have come from Belper in Derbyshire...a large village as far from the sea in any direction as is possible in the UK so to live this close to the beach is great although the sand gets everywhere!

Where you from?? and where are you in PP now??

LibbyX
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loveklein
Libby im sending you some karma - was touched by your story and can relate to it. You are so doing the right thing by putting your immediate family and yourself first for quality of life.

For those of you in Oz having doubts and thinking of returning to the UK to be near family ive been there and done this like Libby and am on my way back to Oz Oct time ish and will be writing a thread as well shortly as to our feelings on the issue, why we returned, and after 3 years why we are now returning to Oz. Look out for it in the Australia section thread. Libby want to wish all your family all the best tis hard going through but worth it.
Hi loveklein,

I hope you settle well in Oz, thankyou for your support.

There is no easy way to settle here as I am finding even the second time round but at least this time I do know that returning to the UK is not a valid option for us financially or emotionally so I am doing everything in my power to help me settle unlike the first time when it was just to easy to give up and return.

Good luck to everyone who is returning to Oz or going back to the UK.

LibbyX
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:22 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Not seen this thread around for a while.

We have come from Belper in Derbyshire...a large village as far from the sea in any direction as is possible in the UK so to live this close to the beach is great although the sand gets everywhere!

Where you from?? and where are you in PP now??

LibbyX
Have sent you a pm.

Tracey x