ping pong!!

Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:30 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: ping pong!!

Oh how fustrating for you.....my mum also didn't sort out our citizenship (although she did do her own! ) when we were growing up. And then during teens I wasn't bothered and during 20's I was too busy - and now I just keep thinking why oh why didn't I just get it done when it would have been so easy.

Where abouts were you in Oz? Where are you looking to go back to? And what visa route are you using?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:29 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hello fruit, you OK I hope, and why do you want to know, are you thinking the same way????? nosey arent I!!

LibbyX

Hello hun

Noooooooooo you know me just plain nosey. TBH I am interested to hear people's experiences and views on their return and the reasons to turn around and go back again. Matey I have been home near on 2 yrs now and with bubs #2 near on here I am staying put........for now..!!

Banjo..thanks for the reply, how old are your boys? What part of Oz will you head back too?I wish you lots of luck and I am sure your boys will be happy wherever you go just so long as mum and dad are happy too..!!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Matey I have been home near on 2 yrs now and with bubs #2 near on here I am staying put........for now..!!
Just where does the time go, P! When we came back we said we had plenty of time left on our visas to make our minds up about returning....it's now down to 9 months , still no decision, and I'm terrified of how I'll feel on that final day.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:37 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!

I will go back to Sydney. At the end of the day i have abuot 5 friends in Oz and they are all in Sydney. Sure they are not my closest friends, who are here, but i figure its a big help just to have somebody.

Now i am back, i do realise my family and close friends are here, but to be honest, my lifestyle in London means i don't see much of them anyway, spend my life on the tube or at work and too knackered to do anything else. Just seemed to have more time in Oz, even with a busy job.

I am just going back this time knowing that it will be hard, there is a lot i don't like about Oz, but i need to give it a couple of years and at least get my citizenship, then i can make a more informed choice. I do miss the healthier lifestyle i had there, the coast and outdoors etc.

And while i was there, i read countless advice on this forum about giving it longer and ignored it all - just goes to show, you need to do this sort of thing for yourself, even if its a bit traumatic!

My mum will go nuts, but i wasn't joking when i said i'd tell her from Oz. I have been trying to 'prepare the ground' and said this to her jokingly the other day and she laughed..so i'm hoping thats a good sign?

Mums - love em, hate em, but can't be without em!

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hope it all goes well for you second time round.

I just hope your Mum understands why you have done it again unlike mine did at the time. We are a lot better now and speak probably once a fortnight and text a couple of times a week. If she can get over it then there is hope for everyone!

Where are you going to and is it the same place as you were before?

Good Luck,

LibbyX
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:47 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowers
Good for you Libby

I've not been on here for months and do remember your posts. I lasted 6 months in Oz and got v homesick and totally addicted to this site...came back to the UK in April- only to decide i did't give it long enough - so heading back early next year and have decided to tell my mum FROM AUSTRALIA! as i just can't go through that again!

Nice to see your post

x
Just being Devil's Advocate here, but who's to say you simply haven't given the UK long enough either?? There's the reverse culture shock when returning and it isn't easy to just slip back into the old ways. You've only been back 4 months tops.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

My mum will go nuts, but i wasn't joking when i said i'd tell her from Oz. I have been trying to 'prepare the ground' and said this to her jokingly the other day and she laughed..so i'm hoping thats a good sign?

Mums - love em, hate em, but can't be without em!
Good luck with your mum!

My mum says things like she'd "die" if her grandchildren were ever taken to Oz. I never had a great relationship with her when I was growing up, in fact she made me feel pretty sh1t about myself a lot of the time when I was a child - perhaps unintentionally - but her words have shaped the adult who I have become, and I often resent her for my insecurities as I know they relate directly to her comments. In recent years she has been overly generous and I wonder if she is trying to allay any guilt she might feel. Given the history, I can't understand why she is the one person who I am scared of telling that we may go back. Maybe I'm still trying to please her, after all these years.....
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:55 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Simple answer.I am British born, i've got my whole life to live here if i want. My Oz visa runs out in 8 months time and the Uk will always be here. I' ve also previously done , ooh lets see 34.5 years in the UK, so i'm pretty confident i know what i will be missing.

Now, don't go unsettling me with comments like that!

Suz

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Just being Devil's Advocate here, but who's to say you simply haven't given the UK long enough either?? There's the reverse culture shock when returning and it isn't easy to just slip back into the old ways. You've only been back 4 months tops.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:45 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

but, but, but...... I have also been thinking that as much as we want to go back, if we didn't do it soon it would be another move all over and would probably be as stressful as moving back here, and then all the re-resettling. Maybe we shouldn't be making any decsions until we've given it 2 yrs here?!

We'd go back to the same small town so that may help as people tend to stick around there until their spot comes free in the residential care. Also, I think for the most part you just know in your heart and mind what feels right and what doesn't.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:10 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Banjo,
I want to do the 47SV resident return/close ties visa because I lived in Aus from aged 2 until 13 and need to have 9 out of the first 18 in Aus. There aren't many of us, I think it is also called a subclass 151 Could be wrong though. Dad is still there, have lots of correspondence with friends and family although my partner of 14 years was naughty some 14 years ago just before we met and went to young offenders twice He has not been in trouble since and we have 2 children and are a respectable family now
Enough of my life story. What visa are you going for?
J x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:30 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer.I am British born, i've got my whole life to live here if i want. My Oz visa runs out in 8 months time and the Uk will always be here. I' ve also previously done , ooh lets see 34.5 years in the UK, so i'm pretty confident i know what i will be missing.

Now, don't go unsettling me with comments like that!

Suz
Fair enough on the visa issue, I can understand that. As you say, at least you know what you will be missing, that's something I learnt after living abroad for 1 year, then returning before leaving for the US. We all have times when we are absolutely and completely homesick, desperate to go back. The strength is knowing not to give in to it and to ride it out till the better days arrive.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpy
I'm just a grumpy old fart, but your opening post on this thread actually moved me to tears - I don't bloody believe it! Anyhow. Im so glad you're back where you want to be - and more importantly you and your mum are speaking again....she's the only one you've got - hang on to her. All the very best of everything to you and your family, on both sides of the world - my thoughts are with you......

Thankyou Grumpy. I have PMed you

LibbyX
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:53 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Banjo, have sent you a pm.
J x
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:34 pm
SuzieB

Ooh i really feel for you on that one. I have a similar relationship with my mum. I think sometimes daughters and mums, don't always have the wonderful best friends relationship you're supposed to have. My relationship with her is full of insecurities and guilt and complex emotions.

In some ways you would think that makes it easier to put distance between you, but i know its not. Its just a lot of guilt. My mum spent her whole life being utterly walked all over by her parents and swore she would never treat her kids that way, but i think most mums are just offended, almost that their children would want to move so far away
No easy answers, but i sympathise with you i really do -
good luck x

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Good luck with your mum!

My mum says things like she'd "die" if her grandchildren were ever taken to Oz. I never had a great relationship with her when I was growing up, in fact she made me feel pretty sh1t about myself a lot of the time when I was a child - perhaps unintentionally - but her words have shaped the adult who I have become, and I often resent her for my insecurities as I know they relate directly to her comments. In recent years she has been overly generous and I wonder if she is trying to allay any guilt she might feel. Given the history, I can't understand why she is the one person who I am scared of telling that we may go back. Maybe I'm still trying to please her, after all these years.....
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:57 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Wow,

It's not just me then !!! This thread really struck a chord....

I thought I was odd wanting to go back to NZ. I only spent a few months there from 03 to early 04...I loved the place...my wife (now ex-wife because of the stress of the whole emigration), hated being away from her elderly father and sisters. It cost a fortune to go over, ship everything (inc cat) and then turn it all around again (as the container came into port would you believe!!), that I swore I'd never do it again. Lost £20,000 or so and fell off th property ladder, never been able to get back on it with a box in a dodgy area costing £100K !!

Here I am 2 1/2 years later with all the pre emigration feelings I had before...sick of the UK people's lack of repsect for each other (happy slapping culture) and the country (litter and mess everywhere, watch kids throw crap on the floor without blinking)...to name but a couple. I crave the space of NZ and the clean air. Luckily my new lady (of 2 years) feels the same and is a lot more level headed than the last (who threw in a $46K job after 1 day, and effectively killed our emigration plan, even though she pushed us out there sooner than I wanted to go). I'm not pushing NZ on her by the way...and we'd visit before moving this time, but she's keen to improve our quality of life.....whether she could cope away from family though (mine all live overseas anyway), is yet to be tested, and probably couldn't be until we were there. One thing...if we ever get there, I'm shipping nothing til we've settled !!

Good luck to all ping pong's....Rich
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:13 am
SuzieB

Good luck Rich ! we are all probably nuts, but if you never take chances where will you be eh.

Suz

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Wow,

It's not just me then !!! This thread really struck a chord....

I thought I was odd wanting to go back to NZ. I only spent a few months there from 03 to early 04...I loved the place...my wife (now ex-wife because of the stress of the whole emigration), hated being away from her elderly father and sisters. It cost a fortune to go over, ship everything (inc cat) and then turn it all around again (as the container came into port would you believe!!), that I swore I'd never do it again. Lost £20,000 or so and fell off th property ladder, never been able to get back on it with a box in a dodgy area costing £100K !!

Here I am 2 1/2 years later with all the pre emigration feelings I had before...sick of the UK people's lack of repsect for each other (happy slapping culture) and the country (litter and mess everywhere, watch kids throw crap on the floor without blinking)...to name but a couple. I crave the space of NZ and the clean air. Luckily my new lady (of 2 years) feels the same and is a lot more level headed than the last (who threw in a $46K job after 1 day, and effectively killed our emigration plan, even though she pushed us out there sooner than I wanted to go). I'm not pushing NZ on her by the way...and we'd visit before moving this time, but she's keen to improve our quality of life.....whether she could cope away from family though (mine all live overseas anyway), is yet to be tested, and probably couldn't be until we were there. One thing...if we ever get there, I'm shipping nothing til we've settled !!

Good luck to all ping pong's....Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.