pets microchip

Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default pets microchip

just wondering how you get this done....does your local vet do it???
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pets microchip

Originally Posted by psb182
just wondering how you get this done....does your local vet do it???
Some, do, some don't. My vet didn't, so I went to another for Suzy's 'chip.

I think there's some standard (ISO?) that works better with the scanners. I may be talking out my bum on that part, but we'll soon find out when someone else lets me know. I need to look into this myself sometime; Suzy has a "Home Again" 'chip, whatever that means (think it's the company/manufacturer).
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to get your pet's microchipping done at your vets. I was told by two people that work at Avid microchip company ( one vet that works at the company here and and another person at the England office) that they have Avid microchip readers there at both Heathrow and Gatwick. So I'm not going to rent one to take with me, I printed out their letters saying so to take with my dog's papers just incase I run into any problems.
Linda
'Lil over 3 weeks to go... be going to Northampton and back with my husband!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Some, do, some don't. My vet didn't, so I went to another for Suzy's 'chip.

I think there's some standard (ISO?) that works better with the scanners. I may be talking out my bum on that part, but we'll soon find out when someone else lets me know. I need to look into this myself sometime; Suzy has a "Home Again" 'chip, whatever that means (think it's the company/manufacturer).

went to my local vet and they looked at me as if I had 3 heads.......just wondering do any vets carry the microchips or do I have to buy one "if so from where"
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
went to my local vet and they looked at me as if I had 3 heads.......just wondering do any vets carry the microchips or do I have to buy one "if so from where"
Look in the Yellow Pages and call other vets. Unless you are in the back of beyond, there should be a local vet who can do it. If you are in the back of beyond you may need to travel to find a vet (there are online Yellow Pages if you need to search further afield).

I'm pretty surprised you say your vet didn't know what you were talking about. Does he/she have a veterinary license? Even if they can't do it any vet should be familiar with what a microchip for a pet is. They're not exactly new.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

This site should help www.avidmicrochip.com
If you call the company they may be able to tell you which vets in your area carry their products. They have been very helpful when I've called with questions. I'm a Veterinary Technician and the Doctors I work with wasn't familiar with which Avid chip is needed for the UK even though they implanted hundreds of Avid chips for dogs here in the US.(there's a different ISO number) My dog was implanted with the standard chip before I knew there was a difference, but Avid has assured me that it can be read at Heathrow because they have all the avid scanners there. When I took my helth cert. to have the Government Vet sign and stamp it he wasn't even sure if they had them or not so he asked me to let him know after I talked to Avid.The Gov. Vet also told me he's never heard of anyone having any problem getting into the UK with their US microchips.
Hope this helps.
Linda
Please email me if you need any help, I could use a break away from packing! [email protected]
Old Feb 6th 2005, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, a little off topic, but the mocrochip info is too timely for me to ignore. I, and my friend, know very little about microchipping cats.

Situation - person A neglects cat, then suggests moving said UK domestic housecat to tropical jungle environment, even though people already there advise DO NOT bring UK pets.
Stepson decides to rescue cat, as he has friends willing to take it and love it, knows it will be happier there. Can't take her himself as he already has a temperamental rescue cat.
Cat has a microchip - unknown type or company.
Stepson is worried that if Person A reports cat missing, then new owner will e in trouble if they ever take the cat to the vet.

Is it possible that the cat could be "rescued" and then treated by non-chop registered vets, without the original bitch (oops sorry,) Owner knowing? Would a non-chip registered vet even know that the cat had a chip in her?

This is not an easy situation, and is part of an ongoing problem - the cat is the latest worry! Any info VERY gratefully received.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
This site should help www.avidmicrochip.com
If you call the company they may be able to tell you which vets in your area carry their products. They have been very helpful when I've called with questions. I'm a Veterinary Technician and the Doctors I work with wasn't familiar with which Avid chip is needed for the UK even though they implanted hundreds of Avid chips for dogs here in the US.(there's a different ISO number) My dog was implanted with the standard chip before I knew there was a difference, but Avid has assured me that it can be read at Heathrow because they have all the avid scanners there. When I took my helth cert. to have the Government Vet sign and stamp it he wasn't even sure if they had them or not so he asked me to let him know after I talked to Avid.The Gov. Vet also told me he's never heard of anyone having any problem getting into the UK with their US microchips.
Hope this helps.
Linda
Please email me if you need any help, I could use a break away from packing! [email protected]
thanks very much will give them a go.......hope you have a good trip