Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

pancake day in the Uk, whats your fave topping??

pancake day in the Uk, whats your fave topping??

Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pancake day in the Uk, whats your fave topping??

YOU WILL NEVER GUESS
i have just woken from my nights shift and i had forgotton it was today until my kids reminded me

Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:47 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh, i'm so glad I logged on, I didn't know it was today, so pancakes for dinner it is, lemon and sugar for me, my eldest daughter has just told me she's going to try nutella, mmmm yum yum can't wait!!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
YOU WILL NEVER GUESS
i have just woken from my nights shift and i had forgotton it was today until my kids reminded me

well, just made some american style for tea and only managed 1 1/2 pieces . How can you forget

Thanks for the recipe

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Feb 20th 2007 at 4:44 pm. Reason: add
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:34 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chef in Dallas
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY EVERYONE !

If you don't have a good recipe for pancakes try this one that I used to make at Buckingham Palace. 600 pancakes every shrove tuesday....

English Pancakes
Ingredients

8 ounces plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 egg
2 egg yolks
2 ounces butter
½ ounce caster sugar (extra fine granulated)
1 pint milk (20 fluid ounces)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
pinch of salt
Sugar, lemons and Oranges for garnish
1 tablespoon vegetable oil to “season the pan”

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ½ oz sugar and salt
Add the egg and yolks followed by the milk and vegetable oil and continue whisking until there are no lumps
Melt the butter in a small pan until it is golden brown and whisk into the pancake mix. Leave the batter to rest for about 15 minutes
Heat an 8 inch pancake pan – or small frying pan and add the 1 tbs vegetable oil and spread it around the base of the pan. Carefully heat the oil until it starts to smoke and then pour it into a small bowl for later use if needed and return the pan to the heat
Pour about two tablespoons of the batter into the pancake pan, tilting the pan to coat the base evenly. Cook until the base is golden brown and then turn or toss to cook the other side
Turn out the pancake onto an upturned dinner plate and repeat step 5 with the remaining batter, stacking the pancakes
Serve straight away with the lemon and orange wedges and sugar
If you want to make the pancakes in advance then lightly butter an ovenproof tray and sprinkle each pancake with sugar. Fold them in half and then half again arranging neatly on the tray. Cover the tray with foil and bake in a 350f / 175c degree oven for about 15 minutes. Serve with the lemon and Orange wedges
Makes about 20 (8 inch) pancakes

I had posted one last week but will try this tonight - if they are good for the Queen, must be delicious! Thanks Darren!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:35 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Chef in Dallas;4431280]HAPPY PANCAKE DAY EVERYONE !

If you don't have a good recipe for pancakes try this one that I used to make at Buckingham Palace. 600 pancakes every shrove tuesday....
Love a bit of name dropping
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:36 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I made pancakes last night for us, we had savory ones for dinner (cheddar cheese, mushrooms & ham). I also made some this morning for my playgroup, we had Nutella & banana, the kids had peanut butter & banana. Everyone in the group loves to see what I make, as it's usually something they've never heard of before. Last week I had playgroup at my house & made Flapjack, apparently that's what pancakes are sometimes called here, the only thing I could think of that it was comparable to is Granola.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I made pancakes last night for us, we had savory ones for dinner (cheddar cheese, mushrooms & ham). I also made some this morning for my playgroup, we had Nutella & banana, the kids had peanut butter & banana. Everyone in the group loves to see what I make, as it's usually something they've never heard of before. Last week I had playgroup at my house & made Flapjack, apparently that's what pancakes are sometimes called here, the only thing I could think of that it was comparable to is Granola.
ooohh...flapjacks...now that brings back memories...I haven't had one of those in ages...
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:26 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
ooohh...flapjacks...now that brings back memories...I haven't had one of those in ages...
They were yummy, I made some the next day for a valentine's playdate too! Me likes to cook!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:36 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: pancake day in the Uk, whats your fave topping??

Mmmmm....very full up right now!

Had a pancake with cheddar, blue cheese and mushrooms.

Then had a pancake with lemon juice and sugar.

Naturally they were the thin 'crepe' style pancakes. Mmmmm
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: pancake day in the Uk, whats your fave topping??

Here's a fun article about pancake day from the BBC in Wiltshire:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conte..._feature.shtml

It has some good suggestions for sweet or savoury fillings too
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chef in Dallas
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY EVERYONE !

English Pancakes
Ingredients

8 ounces plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 egg
2 egg yolks
2 ounces butter
½ ounce caster sugar (extra fine granulated)
1 pint milk (20 fluid ounces)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
pinch of salt
Sugar, lemons and Oranges for garnish
1 tablespoon vegetable oil to “season the pan”

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ½ oz sugar and salt
Add the egg and yolks followed by the milk and vegetable oil and continue whisking until there are no lumps
Melt the butter in a small pan until it is golden brown and whisk into the pancake mix. Leave the batter to rest for about 15 minutes
Heat an 8 inch pancake pan – or small frying pan and add the 1 tbs vegetable oil and spread it around the base of the pan. Carefully heat the oil until it starts to smoke and then pour it into a small bowl for later use if needed and return the pan to the heat
Pour about two tablespoons of the batter into the pancake pan, tilting the pan to coat the base evenly. Cook until the base is golden brown and then turn or toss to cook the other side
Turn out the pancake onto an upturned dinner plate and repeat step 5 with the remaining batter, stacking the pancakes
Serve straight away with the lemon and orange wedges and sugar
If you want to make the pancakes in advance then lightly butter an ovenproof tray and sprinkle each pancake with sugar. Fold them in half and then half again arranging neatly on the tray. Cover the tray with foil and bake in a 350f / 175c degree oven for about 15 minutes. Serve with the lemon and Orange wedges
Makes about 20 (8 inch) pancakes

I've never tried making pancakes with the sugar in the mixture. My husband likes his pancakes covered in enough sugar to rot your teeth on contact, and freshly squeezed orange juice.