Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Oz to Uk schooling question - yrs 10/11

Oz to Uk schooling question - yrs 10/11

Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:25 am
Just Joined

rparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant futurerparsons66 has a brilliant future
Default Oz to Uk schooling question - yrs 10/11

Hi

We have been in Perth for 9 years (apart from a year back in the UK last year). My kids are in Years 10 and 8 in the Perth system. We had been intending to stay until my son finished high school and my duaghter year 10 and thought the transition would not be so bad - they both want to return which is good. We are here for financial reasons. But it has all gone pear shaped on us. I am in the Uk at the present as my father has just had a massive stroke, completely unexpected, after an operation. Obviously we are now looking at returning sooner but I am overwhelmed by how much we may have stuffed up our kids education.

Can anyone tell me what the situation would be returning to the UK? Obviously the year my son would go into have already started their GCSE's so if we returned in the New year he will already have loads to catch up on. Alternatively I have heard that if we wait till he finishes year 11, (I know, another year but I will have also finished my teacher training as well then) he can go straight into A levels here. I dont know where to find out that for sure though.

Sorry I am rambling but my head is all over the place. We had hoped to settle in the UK last year and only returned to Oz reluctantly for a final three year stint for money. That has backfired on us completely, and we need to return sooner. I wish we had never returned but then there is little point in going down that path!

Any ideas about school would be great.

Thanks

Becky
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:13 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz to Uk schooling question - yrs 10/11

We are returning to the UK after Christmas after being here in Perth for 5 years. Our children are in year 12 (daughter just finished yesterday) year 9 and year 4.

My daughter in year 12 will take her TEE'S next week and we are having difficulty finiding out from here and the UK what those exams will be worth in the UK. I have been told on the forum here by someone that they will be equivalent to A levels and need to get them transerred here but the council here say it can't be done here and must be done in the UK. I just wanted to try and confirm everything.

My daughter who is in year 9 is already missing out on her school work in the UK as they will have started back in September and we won't be back and start looking at schools until January 7th. I have been told though that they do get much more help back in the UK and people have said that there children have caught up and passed their exams okay. I don't think they put a child back in the UK a year but I'm not sure. Hopefully she will chose the subjects she enjoys and cope wth the work and catch up.

The think my boy who is currently in year 4 will be fine.

Everything should work out for your children with the schooling and I am glad our's are going back to UK education as here it is poor.

Hopefully someone will reply to your thread with help and advice and I shall look out for that too!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:42 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rparsons66
Hi

We have been in Perth for 9 years (apart from a year back in the UK last year). My kids are in Years 10 and 8 in the Perth system. We had been intending to stay until my son finished high school and my duaghter year 10 and thought the transition would not be so bad - they both want to return which is good. We are here for financial reasons. But it has all gone pear shaped on us. I am in the Uk at the present as my father has just had a massive stroke, completely unexpected, after an operation. Obviously we are now looking at returning sooner but I am overwhelmed by how much we may have stuffed up our kids education.

Can anyone tell me what the situation would be returning to the UK? Obviously the year my son would go into have already started their GCSE's so if we returned in the New year he will already have loads to catch up on. Alternatively I have heard that if we wait till he finishes year 11, (I know, another year but I will have also finished my teacher training as well then) he can go straight into A levels here. I dont know where to find out that for sure though.

Sorry I am rambling but my head is all over the place. We had hoped to settle in the UK last year and only returned to Oz reluctantly for a final three year stint for money. That has backfired on us completely, and we need to return sooner. I wish we had never returned but then there is little point in going down that path!

Any ideas about school would be great.

Thanks

Becky
Hello,
In kind of the same boat and really feel for you, in the 3 years we have been here my sister and mum have passed away though fortunately I was able to get back for my Mum. I hope your Dad makes a good recovery, I know the pull all too well of sick family member in England and spouse and kids back in Oz.

Anyway I intend to go back when my eldest finishes year 10 here, so he can apply for the British army and my youngest will be in year 10 there and year 9 here (goodness, had to think about that one). I also feel guilty for messing up his education, a Mum's perogative I suppose, so I will have to help him as much as I can. I know when I was at school you could retake your GCSE's (O levels when I was at school) in the lower 6th (year 11) so I am trying not to worry too much, I hope that is still the case as that would help wit the whole 3 year residency period before uni so no overseas fees (silver lining hopefully).
Anyway I am rambling, but I wish you and your family all the best.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

Don't panic/beat yourself up !We are in a not too dissimilar boat & things have worked out a lot better academically than i had feared.We have been in Oz 8years & my children are 16 & 18. My daughter was half way through Year 11 in NSW & has just started Lower Sixth in the UK (so effectively 'going back' half a year - I would recommend doing this if you have the choice). She is at a highly selective,academic girls school & is right up at the top of her A level subjects - eg people talking about Oxbridge etc. We thought she would be miles behind & she clearly isn't.

My son is finishing his HSC in NSW but applying to English unis - just put his UCAS form in & so far only got one offer - but that is for a respectable course,at a respectable uni & the offer is for a manageable UAI(80%). Unis have not even asked about his school certificate exams - only his UAI.

You can ( & we have) gone around in circles about schooling but our personal experience is that the move has been far less traumatic than we expected academically, & socially has been fantastic - my daughter has had nothing but incredibly positive treatment from teachers & peers alike in the UK & has had the horizon broadening experience of 8 years in a different culture. Those of us who are a tad disenchanted with Australia forget too easily the mystique about it that drew us there to start with, & that is still felt by many Brits at home.

You really have my sympathy - I have spent too long on a plane in the last 8 years going backwards & forwards for really sick parents & have been wracked by remorse at not being in the UK. Your children will be fine & you are in the right place.Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry am being lazy (just about to go to bed), and not read all the thread, but we took a 15 year old from scotland to oz (that was 18 months ago), and in her words , the school and education system that she came from is far superior than wot she is at now, quite frankly they might struggle, but am sure the school will be sympathetic, and perhaps you could also get a tutor there, to get them up to scratch,

from wot ave experienced they seem to learn 'alot of crap here', its all about power point, and talking, and the teachers, well , alcoholics anyomous could get a few clients from them, if i had the money i would send them to private here, at least there would be a half hope they would have a half decent education.;

sorry , am signing off now, had a bad education week wif me kids,

GOD WOT AVE I DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Becky please see my respone to another thread about secondary school and GCSE's it might help.