Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 50's, Canadians in the UK - Old Age Security, OAS

Over 50's, Canadians in the UK - Old Age Security, OAS

Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future
Default Over 50's, Canadians in the UK - Old Age Security, OAS

We plan to move back to UK within next few years. I am trying to do some advance planning about Canadian OAS and need some info please.

I have lived in Canada for a total of nearly 16years (we lived in the UK for 4 years and came back to Canada). I understand that OAS is paid at age 65 and that I need to have lived in Canada for 20years after age 18, in order to get it paid to me if I live outside Canada.

How do they calculate 20years ..do they count from birthdate-birthdate each year , do they go from Jan1st -Jan 1st each year? Also, do they count partial years living in Canada ( we moved back in March 2005 - so would 2005 be included ?? )

Also do we have to be resident in Canada just before we claim OAS, or can we claim it a few years later from the UK, when we turn 65 ?

Thanks