in need of major advice!

Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:21 am
Just Joined

JANET ALLSOPP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default in need of major advice!

hi there i am in need of some very important advice... i am a british citizen i moved to canada when i was 12 and have been here on student visas, now here is where it gets intresting, i have been in canada for 6 years and i have not had up to date paperwork for close to 2 years now and i am trying to get back to the uk.

i will be coming back alone with no family left over in the uk i will not have a place to go or even anyone to meet me at the airport.

are there any seveices out in london that can help me with my sistuation i am only 19 years old and have no clue whats next or even if my citizenship still stands

if anyone has any advice or knows what i can do please dont hold back
i need all the advice i can get right now

my time line for returning is in the couple months once i have figured out where i have to once im there and if i am able to apply for assitance
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of major advice!

I don't see why your citizenship would be revoked. Do you have a UK passport still? You will need a passport to travel anywhere internationally. By no paperwork, do you mean that your Canadian paperwork expired, or that your British passport expired?

If you go to the website direct.gov.uk, that will tell you about government services that might be available to you when you get back.

ETA - you might also find some useful information in the 'Useful UK Links' sticky thread too.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:42 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to apply for a British Passport which should be no problem. However there is not really a support network for returning expats. Perhaps you could tell us more about your circumstance which might help us to make suggestions. Are you worried about being deported from Canada due to your incomplete paperwork? What skills do you have? How much money do you have to support yourself. Most benefits require a period of residency so that may be an issue.

You may have distant family members who may give you a roof over your head until you can get work.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

You can't 'lose' your UK citizenship.

If push really comes to shove, you could ask the UK embassy to repatriate you, tell them you have strayed from the path due to bad advice, and can they help you.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul B
You can't 'lose' your UK citizenship.

If push really comes to shove, you could ask the UK embassy to repatriate you, tell them you have strayed from the path due to bad advice, and can they help you.
You are expected to pay your own fare back to the UK. I think first of all the OP needs to apply for a British PP.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 9th 2011 at 2:03 am.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:37 am
Just Joined

I do have a valid British passport and the reason why my paperwork wasn't updated was because my legal caregiver at the time went over seas to afghan and his wife couldn't sign them because he forgot to leave a letter saying that I am in his wife care until he returns so it just got put on the back burner... Sorry in advanced for my bad spelling and grammar I'm doing this off my iPod. I do not have any money to my name since I was in Canada on student visas so therefor I can't work. And yes Being deported is my worst fear, my step family out here is the only family i have known. My mother passed away when I was 5 and my farther was never in the picture. I do have one step aunt who lives in bermingham where I used to live before I moved to Canada and she has already told me that she can't do anything to help me out and closed her door to me

And now I'm 19 just graduated highschool last June
I'm surposed to be in the prime of my life and I'm watching it fly by me

I do not have any specific skills but i am wanting to get into modeling and also go back to school to work on becoming a child psychologist
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JANET ALLSOPP
I do have a valid British passport and the reason why my paperwork wasn't updated was because my legal caregiver at the time went over seas to afghan and his wife couldn't sign them because he forgot to leave a letter saying that I am in his wife care until he returns so it just got put on the back burner... Sorry in advanced for my bad spelling and grammar I'm doing this off my iPod. I do not have any money to my name since I was in Canada on student visas so therefor I can't work. And yes Being deported is my worst fear, my step family out here is the only family i have known. My mother passed away when I was 5 and my farther was never in the picture. I do have one step aunt who lives in bermingham where I used to live before I moved to Canada and she has already told me that she can't do anything to help me out and closed her door to me

And now I'm 19 just graduated highschool last June
I'm surposed to be in the prime of my life and I'm watching it fly by me

I do not have any specific skills but i am wanting to get into modeling and also go back to school to work on becoming a child psychologist
Janet I suggest you contact Dean via BE Private Message and explain your situation. He'll be able to offer you advice.

Plse let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are expected to pay your own fare back to the UK. I think first of all the OP needs to apply for a British PP.
Unless you have no money, then they will loan it to you. No freebies though, they want it back eventually.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Paul B
Unless you have no money, then they will loan it to you. No freebies though, they want it back eventually.
Exactly.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know why you came to Canada, and why those looking after you didn't adopt you or do something to get you permanent status when you arrived. What on earth were they thinking?.

However, if there is a geniune humanitarian reason behind all this, then it might be possible to apply for permanent residence on that basis.

Find a Canadian immigration lawyer. If you choose a good one who has experience of this kind of case, it might at least be worth discussing.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What a horrible situation to be in so young. You caregivers really did drop the ball, shame on them. I hope you can at least get Canadian permanent residence and then take your time to sort out where you want to be.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

its not my caregivers fault they have done everything they could for me. and yes i have looked in to h&c cases and it would take 3-5 years to even be processed when in those 3-5 years i could be living a fullfilling life back in england where i can actually work and go to school and really better myself
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

its not my caregivers fault they have done everything they could for me. and yes i have looked in to h&c cases and it would take 3-5 years to even be processed when in those 3-5 years i could be living a fullfilling life back in england where i can actually work and go to school and really better myself
Do you realise if you want to go to uni you will have to pay International Student fees?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

please explain more, if im a british citizen then would i be accepted for some sort of loan after a couple years of being back there.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

please explain more, if im a british citizen then would i be accepted for some sort of loan after a couple years of being back there.
I don't think so...but that's just a guess. Normally you have to be a resident of the UK for 3 years prior to attending uni.

There's loads of info in past threads...use the BE search function to search for past threads. It's located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search...then in the box on the left hand side of the page put in International Student Fees...click on Search Titles Only. Make sure you highlight the MBTTUK forum before you search.

There may also be info in the BE Wiki.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.