Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

As I digress.. For those interested in my exploits (what exploits!).. I want to move back to England but seem to just talk the talk and not walk the walk (beginning to hate that phrase)..I'm not earning enough to pay off debt (not that much) and $422 a month taken out for student loans, trying to top off USAA retirement account and add to savings. Thus one has decided to work 6 days a week for several months. So tired of bloody talking and not seeing any progress. I only work 5 hours per day for 3 days of my 6 day work week - so not too bad. I have a great job - I do speech with kiddos from 2-16.. If I don't do it I fear I will be like my brother and die here... Dwane would have been 52 today.. Rough day but will get thru it..
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
As I digress.. For those interested in my exploits (what exploits!).. I want to move back to England but seem to just talk the talk and not walk the walk (beginning to hate that phrase)..I'm not earning enough to pay off debt (not that much) and $422 a month taken out for student loans, trying to top off USAA retirement account and add to savings. Thus one has decided to work 6 days a week for several months. So tired of bloody talking and not seeing any progress. I only work 5 hours per day for 3 days of my 6 day work week - so not too bad. I have a great job - I do speech with kiddos from 2-16.. If I don't do it I fear I will be like my brother and die here... Dwane would have been 52 today.. Rough day but will get thru it..
Sorry this must be a really tough day for you Sounds like you are really taking things in hand in order to achieve your goals. Hang in there fulwood. You will make it
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Perth..
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Sorry this must be a really tough day for you Sounds like you are really taking things in hand in order to achieve your goals. Hang in there fulwood. You will make it

Yes...hang in there!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You have a very large {{squishy hug}} from the bottom of the world Fulwood.

With determination and a spirit like yours, you will get there.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all. My roommate and her husband wrote me a lovely card and bought me a box of Typhoo tea! Today wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - so that's good. When I got the Typhoo I kept saying"Can you ride tandem?" only realize it's PG Tips that did that commercial. Everyone is most kind - thank you.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

God Bless you Fulwood. Life has been very tough for you. Loneliness is so very sad. Never thought it would be mine either. After my almost near fatal accident in Belfast last year, I had to come back here for proper neurological care. ER was wonderful, but seeing consultants didn't exist. Sucks. I hate being here especially as my daughter and her husband living in NYC moved to Stratford upon Avon four weeks ago. It's been so difficult to find somewhere to rent with two tiny dogs (both under 5lbs) My brother has put me in touch with a rental company. I live in hope......
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck and stay positive, you will get there.

I don't want to die here either so I can relate.

You are one of the good people, you could have just flew the coop and left debts behind you like so many did, but you have morals, It will pay dividends in the end, plus you wont be looking over your shoulder, Good for you.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 11:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all. My roommate and her husband wrote me a lovely card and bought me a box of Typhoo tea! Today wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - so that's good. When I got the Typhoo I kept saying"Can you ride tandem?" only realize it's PG Tips that did that commercial. Everyone is most kind - thank you.

The ad I remember is...'Dad do you know the piano is on my foot? You hum it and I'll sing it.'

Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get here, Fulwood. I know you will. It took me almost six years to get here from the time I realised I had made up my mind to come back. I was hit by the recession badly and unemployment followed. Eventually, I had to move many miles away to a place I knew I could find a good job. Even then it wasn't easy but I did it and I know you will, too.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Blue cheese should be ok for a week -actually its already mouldy, thats what the blue is, but I know what you mean!
have a look at your fridge for a thermostat/temp control. It may not actually be set cold enough.
Then have a look at what you keep in it -things like jam and ketchup don't really need to be in the fridge, so they can come out to make room for veg if necessary. You will have less of a problem in a month or so when the weather is colder again, you'll find more fruit and veg stays ok out of the fridge.

If you are really stuck, look at getting a small tabletop fridge as an extra to what the landlord provides. Argos is good for stuff like that, in fact if you haven't discovered Argos yet, do so! A whole new easy shopping world! You can browse the catalogue at home or on the net, order it, pick up in store, and they have some really cheap bargains.
My nieces used to spend hours browsing the catalogue, especially near christmas -it was known as the Laminated Book of Dreams!
I saw an Argos store the other day so the next time I am down that way I will go inside and see what it's all about.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So I see on the British news the sea is giving Devon another bashing.
You OK Islandwoman?
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fulwood,
fish is right in saying you are a good person, we all have bad days, and sometimes life gets so darn complicated and hard that we sometimes think to ourselves why bother!!! but we go to bed and wake up in the morning and hey presto its a brand new day, I like to smile at strangers on the streets when I pass by, most of the time I get a smile back, it feels good and comforting somehow, I sometimes think the stranger male/female that I just received a return smile from may be having bad problems in there life right now, but they did manage a smile, it made me feel good and probably for a second or a minute ---- made them feel good too!!!
YOU just hang in there, I already know that you are a very positive person ---- just reading so many of your posts over the years, so chin up!!! and keep a nice British stiff upper lip
take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im a Johnnie Walker fan too, I used to listen to him at lunchtime in the 70s.

Cilla did lots of good and made people very happy, she made a real difference.

Heck Id forgot about Alfie, I love that film, she did some lovely Burt Bacharach songs, so powerful and clear...
Hi Fish,
Yes Cilla was a lovely person and a great performer and TV host, I remember her when she was real young and just bursting with talent, and a good singer, 72 is way too young, she will be greatly missed by so many!!!

as for Johnnie Walker, yes me too, I used to listen to him on the radio in the 70,s too, ----- and he is still going strong after all those years, ----- and I also am still a big fan of Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky ---- preferably black label,
So if ya ever want to buy me a Birthday present ----- I wouldn't say no to that!!!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish,
Yes Cilla was a lovely person and a great performer and TV host, I remember her when she was real young and just bursting with talent, and a good singer, 72 is way too young, she will be greatly missed by so many!!!

as for Johnnie Walker, yes me too, I used to listen to him on the radio in the 70,s too, ----- and he is still going strong after all those years, ----- and I also am still a big fan of Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky ---- preferably black label,
So if ya ever want to buy me a Birthday present ----- I wouldn't say no to that!!!
Hahahaaaa I bet you wouldn't mind a bottle, I havent tasted Whiskey since I was a teenager...

Happy Birthday Rod, when ever that is, Mine's in March, just so you know Id like a Honda Fourtrax, get saving ... Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.