Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 5th 2015, 5:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by lf1
Congratulations and good luck with the move. Are you moving to France or NE England?
Both. :thumb up:

51/49% UK/Fr for now.... (aged relative there needs a bit of looking after)...
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes it certainly is!!!!
Indeed! That speaks to me!

perthhomeschool here Rodney and Gail and everyone else. Dropped the homeschool. DD is now 23 and long gone - so thought it about time
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Hoping to, it was a long hard process with lots of stress along the way. MY OH is British and does not really want to go back. I met him there 14 years ago when working and living there on my ancestry visa, not thinking we would move to Canada. I had ILR and stupidly we never thought they would change the rules for spouses and when we left I had only 1 year to arrive into Canada or lose the opportunity plus I had to wait 2 years in UK for citizenship as I had just switched to spouse from ancestral so we never gave it another thought and moved over. I have been unhappy here since 2010 when I found this wonderful group and saw that I was not alone at all. Even though I did not live a long time in UK, I settled there as if it was "home" as I feel my soul belongs there! I am from Cape Town and my upbringing was very English and always considered that my ancestral home! Like you I am also 58 and will probably try to find a part time job but luckily we kept our house there as well as having a house here! We will probably not move back to the house in UK and look for a nice bungalow in South Devon to retire too as OH will be retired. I am trying to figure out which visa to go back on. I tried to find out if I could go on Returning Resident visa but apparently I have been out of country too long and owning a house is not close enough ties. Bummer that would have been the easiest route to go!

Houses in our area do not sell fast so once again I am probably going to have to be patient but this time I am not changing my mind and allowing OH to persuade me to stay here! My friends and family are all in either UK or Cape Town and those in CT visit UK often as they have so many connections there! No one wants to visit us here!

I admire you, I did what you did when I was 45 and moved to UK from CT with my container of furniture, no job and a place to stay with a friend for a month. Best decision I ever made, I landed a great job, bought a house and settled in as if I was meant to be there! Think my past lives were always there
SO delighted you are back on track! Race you over there
~Monique
Old Jun 5th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Indeed! That speaks to me!

perthhomeschool here Rodney and Gail and everyone else. Dropped the homeschool. DD is now 23 and long gone - so thought it about time
Hey Perth how you doing? when are you coming home?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hey Perth how you doing? when are you coming home?
NEXT YEAR
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

NEXT YEAR
Brilliant I'm real happy for you
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:24 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Both. :thumb up:

51/49% UK/Fr for now.... (aged relative there needs a bit of looking after)...

I am a newcomer to the area and I am still discovering Northumberland. What an undiscovered gem it is. Love France too, but haven't managed a trip since being back in the UK. Too busy enjoying the rural life after the concrete jungle of Calgary. Best of luck with your relocation.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Ah ok, feelbritish, this, with your update above, explains it. How great that your OH is willing to move now. I do hope he likes it once you do, and if he himself is British that should surely help?

Once you get to the knowledge "I do not want to end my days here," that is an important step and recognition.
Oh dear!! My husband keeps coming out with that phrase.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I am a newcomer to the area and I am still discovering Northumberland. What an undiscovered gem it is. Love France too, but haven't managed a trip since being back in the UK. Too busy enjoying the rural life after the concrete jungle of Calgary. Best of luck with your relocation.
I think you're in the Borders? My aged relative (FIL) is in Newcastle which is where we'll look for a rental when we get there in about 4 weeks (we can stay with him at first), but I have a sister who lives just outside Airth near Stirling and will be passing through border country regularly on visits to her.

Who knows, we could meet sometime?

Edit: I've just checked that mapping thingy in the sticky: you're in Kelso, a lovely place to be. Good choice.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 6th 2015 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

SO delighted you are back on track! Race you over there
~Monique
When I saw the "Perth" I thought it was you but not quite sure Would it not be great if we both arrive around the same time? We are looking at Devon now and there are some nice rentals (bungalows) 2 bed for around £600 and although we want to buy in order to feel settled we will probably rent somewhere there in a central position to explore the county, that and NW Somerset around Minehead and N Cornwall too! I am spending far too much time on Rightmove now again. We have not had one phone call for a viewing yet May be a long wait again. I am also thinking of working part time until I get to 66 and can start claiming my British OAP! Mainly to satisfy my visa requirements if I go that route and also for extra spending money for travelling around UK exploring those wonderful places in our caravan! Mind you if we get there in early summer we may just buy a caravan and camp for a few months! OH is still not really happy about going, but is resigned to it!
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Hi to all my old friends on here, ( I was Charleygirl) its been 6 months since I was here on expats! Amazing where has the time gone.. I am now back in the UK, very happy, renting a wonderful little house and loving life.. but as always miss my children dreadfully, not sure that will ever end . But i was back there in Sept and Feb and they have all visited me.
So good to see Jasper, Fish, Between two worlds ( that kind of fits me) and Cheers and some old names here, not looked back through the thread yet.. but will do over the next couple days, to see how everyone is.
It is a year ago yesterday I moved back here again after trying to live back there in the USA for 6 months. Everything is going well and I hope everyone here is managing to get closer to their dream!
Old Jun 7th 2015, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Hi to all my old friends on here, ( I was Charleygirl) its been 6 months since I was here on expats! Amazing where has the time gone.. I am now back in the UK, very happy, renting a wonderful little house and loving life.. but as always miss my children dreadfully, not sure that will ever end . But i was back there in Sept and Feb and they have all visited me.
So good to see Jasper, Fish, Between two worlds ( that kind of fits me) and Cheers and some old names here, not looked back through the thread yet.. but will do over the next couple days, to see how everyone is.
It is a year ago yesterday I moved back here again after trying to live back there in the USA for 6 months. Everything is going well and I hope everyone here is managing to get closer to their dream!
Well! Welcome back to the thread - I did wonder how you were and where you were in the world. Where exactly have you landed now? I am in Dawlish, Devon by the seaside, in a tiny cottage about 1 mile from the actual coast, on the top of a windy, and sometimes misty, hill. Still restless, so watch this space, but where I go next, it will be close by with a friendly group of like minded folk.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Its really good to see you, I thought you'd end up back in the UK, its just where you've always needed to be.

Good Luck as always and thanks for stopping by.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 8:42 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you're in the Borders? My aged relative (FIL) is in Newcastle which is where we'll look for a rental when we get there in about 4 weeks (we can stay with him at first), but I have a sister who lives just outside Airth near Stirling and will be passing through border country regularly on visits to her.

Who knows, we could meet sometime?

Edit: I've just checked that mapping thingy in the sticky: you're in Kelso, a lovely place to be. Good choice.

Yes, I am in that area and it is indeed a lovely spot. I don't think I will ever tire of the beautiful landscape. I crossed the border today and had a very pleasant day out to Morpeth. I really like that town and love that it still has a department store, Rutherford & Co, where I had a rather tasty bacon and avocado sandwich for lunch (that combo might be a good topic for the Cdn forum) LOL!! I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't yet visited Newcastle so that it is on my to do list. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to meet up in the future.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, I am in that area and it is indeed a lovely spot. I don't think I will ever tire of the beautiful landscape. I crossed the border today and had a very pleasant day out to Morpeth. I really like that town and love that it still has a department store, Rutherford & Co, where I had a rather tasty bacon and avocado sandwich for lunch (that combo might be a good topic for the Cdn forum) LOL!! I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't yet visited Newcastle so that it is on my to do list. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to meet up in the future.
We're seriously considering Morpeth. FIL lives in Gosforth, on the north edge of Newcastle, so Morpeth is only about a 20 min drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.