Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 12th 2015, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
fulwood I use Hotspot shield which gives me a U.K VPN they are based in the States I've not had any buffering issues, always very helpful if I have any problems, I cant watch the local stuff here, tends to do my head in !!!

Just watched Last Tango in Halifax, and now watching Broadchurch, ( The best of British )
I use Hola vpn its absolutely free with no strings ---- you just download it to your computer, never ever had any buffering issues or anything else, I subscribe to netflix but the UK version is not as good as the US version, especially if you like to see all the latest movies like I do, so through my VPN I enjoy the American version of netflix, it has a much larger and better content for movies and TV shows,
also Hola gets me all the american TV channels ---- I sometimes like to watch American news programs and also documentaries.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're all set Rodney. I tried to get my Dad up & running with Hola in Canada but to no avail. I think he's got a bad habit of clicking on things he shouldn't and ends up complicating things so I've just given up with it. He's coming to visit at the end of April so perhaps I'll get him sorted then.

Did you ever get your twinkies?
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Sounds like you're all set Rodney. I tried to get my Dad up & running with Hola in Canada but to no avail. I think he's got a bad habit of clicking on things he shouldn't and ends up complicating things so I've just given up with it. He's coming to visit at the end of April so perhaps I'll get him sorted then.

Did you ever get your twinkies?
Well curleytops about the twinkies ---- you were dead right about tesco having them on there online shopping, they were on offer for £5 for a box of 10 but me being so tight or as in America we say cheap I decided that I could not bring myself to paying like $7.50 for my twinkies!!! so me said to myself I will have to learn to live without my twinkies but it really was not a bad deal because most all of the online American food sites price them at £9.99 wow thats $15 for a small box of those delights that Im very partial to

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 12th 2015 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well curleytops about the twinkies ---- you were dead right about tesco having them on there online shopping, they were on offer for £5 for a box of 10 but me being so tight or as in America we say cheap I decided that I could not bring myself to paying like $7.50 for my twinkies!!! so me said to myself I will have to learn to live without my twinkies but it really was not a bad deal because most all of the online American food sites price them at £9.99 wow thats $15 for a small box of those delights that Im very partial to
Seems like I read somewhere that they are able to make the cream for the Twinkies out of petroleum oil.
You probably also know that Hostess who make Twinkies went out of business for a while. We do have them on the shelves again so who knows.
Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get how Prince Andrew was able to come up with $12,000,000 to pay for a villa in Switzerland?

That's a lot of loot for someone who's out of work.

Cheers

note: I don't know if that's dollars or pounds and I thought the royals were just getting by.

I just did some research.............The Prince has made his millions from several investments in stock markets, a good share in property holdings, and by owning several restaurants in London. He also owns a football team the “London Angels”. Prince Andrew also has a Vodka brand and a perfume targeting the youth in his name.
So now we know!

Last edited by cheers; Jan 12th 2015 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm just confirming what someone wrote about Windsong. She posted Dec 12th, 2014 on "Being back 6 months" forum. (I think she is still in Colorado)
Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm just confirming what someone wrote about Windsong. She posted Dec 12th, 2014 on "Being back 6 months" forum. (I think she is still in Colorado)
Cheers
When she posted she was still in the US awaiting her UK passport.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Hola vpn its absolutely free with no strings ---- you just download it to your computer, never ever had any buffering issues or anything else, I subscribe to netflix but the UK version is not as good as the US version, especially if you like to see all the latest movies like I do, so through my VPN I enjoy the American version of netflix, it has a much larger and better content for movies and TV shows,
also Hola gets me all the american TV channels ---- I sometimes like to watch American news programs and also documentaries.
Wanna see a good documentry?.

Check out last weeks FRONTLINE on PBS.

Gunned down: The power of the NRA.

It shows how the NRA got G.W. Bush voted into power, they explain how a few passionate NRA members threw a few states and Gore lost, all because Clinton wanted background checks at gun shows.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't get how Prince Andrew was able to come up with $12,000,000 to pay for a villa in Switzerland?

Cheers

note: I don't know if that's dollars or pounds and I thought the royals were just getting by.

I just did some research.............The Prince has made his millions from several investments in stock markets, a good share in property holdings, and by owning several restaurants in London. He also owns a football team the “London Angels”. Prince Andrew also has a Vodka brand and a perfume targeting the youth in his name.
So now we know!
Hi cheers, well one thing is for sure ---- the royals are not just getting by is the Queen the richest Woman in the world ---- or does Opra Winfrey top her a little in wealth? that was interesting to read your research about prince Andrew and all his businesses ---- who would have thought!!!!
do you know if all the royals get a salary from the british tax payers? I think they at least get a large sum of money each year that runs into the millions to cover the running costs of there palaces like staff/utility bills/food and council tax etc etc
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wanna see a good documentry?.

Check out last weeks FRONTLINE on PBS.

Gunned down: The power of the NRA.

It shows how the NRA got G.W. Bush voted into power, they explain how a few passionate NRA members threw a few states and Gore lost, all because Clinton wanted background checks at gun shows.
Thanks fish I will check it out!!!!
Im checking into this latest thing I heard today about TTIP transatlantic trade and investment partnership, the Americans I think ----- think its a good Idea ---- more then the Europeans and the British, they were discussing the topic on the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2 today, a few comments from the british phoning in was regarding there concern that we wont be able to control the quality of the meat we eat, saying that we will be forced to buy American beef/chicken/pork etc that is jam packed full of chemicals pesticides and preservatives, not to mention all the processed food
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Im checking into this latest thing I heard today about TTIP transatlantic trade and investment partnership, the Americans I think ----- think its a good Idea ---- more then the Europeans and the British, they were discussing the topic on the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2 today, a few comments from the british phoning in was regarding there concern that we wont be able to control the quality of the meat we eat, saying that we will be forced to buy American beef/chicken/pork etc that is jam packed full of chemicals pesticides and preservatives, not to mention all the processed food
British beef is banned from entering the US. Was that mentioned?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive not heard it discussed here but that doesnt surprise me, it was the same when the Americans tried to push Genetically Modified foods into the UK, there is alot of hush hush in our News depts.

Americans food manufactures don't want us to know what we are eating, Oregon just tried to get a law passed to get all proper info on food products, The manufactures spent 25 million in this state to defeat it, they spent a similar amount in Washington state and defeated it there, This tells me they have plenty to hide, you just cant trust American Corparations, its all about the Dollar.

Brits need to stand up against this kind of thing.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
British beef is banned from entering the US. Was that mentioned?
Great comment... and thats not likely to change.

I see food "Made in China" on the dollar store shelves, Id never trust it, I have to wonder how much chinese ingredients are in American food.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:27 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Great comment... and thats not likely to change.

I see food "Made in China" on the dollar store shelves, Id never trust it, I have to wonder how much chinese ingredients are in American food.
At the World Market most of the body lotions, face cream, etc are made in China. It would probably blow up if you lit a match!
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

So now we know!
cheers - I think you'll find that the information regarding Prince Andrew is incorrect - even a windup - as virtually the same information is given regarding the actor Idris Elba:

Idris Elba Highest-Paid Actor in the World - Mediamass

This is Prince Andres 'bio':

Prince Andrew Highest-Paid Prince in the World - Mediamass

I believe the website mediamass is similar to the Onion - just targeting real people.

Regarding the villa - I believe it was brought jointly with Sarah Ferguson on a joint mortgage - so no need to dish out a load of cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.