Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Sarah Ferguson was on US TV today singing the praises of Andrew. Well she would wouldn't she as he's bailed her out of trouble gawd knows how many times...and she relies on him for money.

She also had the brass neck to spout that she was a woman of integrity.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ive not heard it discussed here but that doesnt surprise me, it was the same when the Americans tried to push Genetically Modified foods into the UK, there is alot of hush hush in our News depts.

Americans food manufactures don't want us to know what we are eating, Oregon just tried to get a law passed to get all proper info on food products, The manufactures spent 25 million in this state to defeat it, they spent a similar amount in Washington state and defeated it there, This tells me they have plenty to hide, you just cant trust American Corparations, its all about the Dollar.

Brits need to stand up against this kind of thing.
Exactly fish ----- thats the whole point they were discussing the topic on the radio today, they were saying how they are trying to push this through without the masses knowing anything about it, its the first time I have heard about this TTIP thing, then I goggled it today and up came a load of info on it, and how hush hush and everything done so secretly, the Americans said that they have been working on this deal with the EU since 2013 and they said they expect to seal the deal and make it happen by the end of 2015,
Hmmmm very interesting, America is not telling the Americans and Europe aint telling the Europeans NOTHING!!! ----- the big corporate machine in all its glory!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Exactly fish ----- thats the whole point they were discussing the topic on the radio today, they were saying how they are trying to push this through without the masses knowing anything about it, its the first time I have heard about this TTIP thing, then I goggled it today and up came a load of info on it, and how hush hush and everything done so secretly, the Americans said that they have been working on this deal with the EU since 2013 and they said they expect to seal the deal and make it happen by the end of 2015,
Hmmmm very interesting, America is not telling the Americans and Europe aint telling the Europeans NOTHING!!! ----- the big corporate machine in all its glory!!!!
England and Europe need to smarten up, they need to tell the USA where to get off with America dictating as it seems to do.

I do think England seems easily led by fantasy that all things American are good, I hate it, the younger generation just fall for it hook line and sinker, as I said before its all about putting Money in Americans pockets, what other reason would they have for doing anything?.

If Brits want to look as healthy as Americans just eat the food. lol
Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

England and Europe need to smarten up, they need to tell the USA where to get off with America dictating as it seems to do.

I do think England seems easily led by fantasy that all things American are good, I hate it, the younger generation just fall for it hook line and sinker, as I said before its all about putting Money in Americans pockets, what other reason would they have for doing anything?.

If Brits want to look as healthy as Americans just eat the food. lol
I agree with all you say here, ----- and the last sentence was very funny, yes all we need to do is eat the food

I weighed myself the other day and I was 12 stone 10 pounds that's 178 pounds, the most I have been since I've been home, I'm only 5 ft 8 in and my usual ideal weight is 11.5 stone = around 160 pounds, so I decided to make a new year resolution and dump 18 pounds as fast as I can,
So I'm cutting out all my usual daily sweet stuff like cake, choc muffins, ice cream, custard etc etc oh and choc digestives, and I'm going to walk every day a couple of miles rain or shine, I started 4 days ago, and so wish me luck, ---- a new trim slim and healthier me is just around the corner (:

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 14th 2015 at 10:48 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all you say here, ----- and the last sentence was very funny, yes all we need to do is eat the food

I weighed myself the other day and I was 12 stone 10 pounds that's 178 pounds, the most I have been since I've been home, I'm only 5 ft 8 in and my usual ideal weight is 11.5 stone = around 160 pounds, so I decided to make a new year resolution and dump 18 pounds as fast as I can,
So I'm cutting out all my usual daily sweet stuff like cake, choc muffins, ice cream, custard etc etc oh and choc digestives, and I'm going to walk every day a couple of miles rain or shine, I started 4 days ago, and so wish me luck, ---- a new trim slim and healthier me is just around the corner (:
You can do it Rodney.

18 months ago my Dr recommended I lose 10lbs and cut back on sugar/starch and red meats, I took him seriously and knew I needed to lose more, so once I got to my 10lb goal I just kept going and lost 25lbs.

I didnt go on some TV advertised diet, I used moderation.

I cut back my bread portions by a third, Id normally eat three slices I went to two, I also cut back a third on all potatoes.

I drastically cut back on sweet stuff, cake, candy and Ice cream, I couldn't cut back on pop as I dropped that a few years ago, but I did cut back on cups of tea, limiting myself to 3 day instead of drinking every cup my wife offered, I love sugar in my tea.

I'm not much of a red meat lover so that was no big deal although I still eat beef a little.

I lost 25 lbs in six months or less, its not that it took a lot of effort and I wasnt exercising at all, just working, I've kept if off for over a year.

I've seen a slight increase in weight over Christmas 3lbs (See's, Roses, Quality Street, Cake and Ice Cream) I'm addressing that now plus.

I love the slimmer me, I feel really good, I find it easy to run again, losing what equals a 25lb bag of dog food off my body sure helps.

I tried dieting years ago, I finished up putting more weight on, so I knew that a program where I'm restricted to certain things would not work for me.

To be honest, I still eat everything Ive always eaten just less of it, if I want an Ice Cream I have one, but I know the trade off, I do have candy on a regular basis but its always a fun size or a portion of a large bar.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can do it Rodney.

18 months ago my Dr recommended I lose 10lbs and cut back on sugar/starch and red meats, I took him seriously and knew I needed to lose more, so once I got to my 10lb goal I just kept going and lost 25lbs.

I didnt go on some TV advertised diet, I used moderation.

I cut back my bread portions by a third, Id normally eat three slices I went to two, I also cut back a third on all potatoes.

I drastically cut back on sweet stuff, cake, candy and Ice cream, I couldn't cut back on pop as I dropped that a few years ago, but I did cut back on cups of tea, limiting myself to 3 day instead of drinking every cup my wife offered, I love sugar in my tea.

I'm not much of a red meat lover so that was no big deal although I still eat beef a little.

I lost 25 lbs in six months or less, its not that it took a lot of effort and I wasnt exercising at all, just working, I've kept if off for over a year.

I've seen a slight increase in weight over Christmas 3lbs (See's, Roses, Quality Street, Cake and Ice Cream) I'm addressing that now plus.

I love the slimmer me, I feel really good, I find it easy to run again, losing what equals a 25lb bag of dog food off my body sure helps.

I tried dieting years ago, I finished up putting more weight on, so I knew that a program where I'm restricted to certain things would not work for me.

To be honest, I still eat everything Ive always eaten just less of it, if I want an Ice Cream I have one, but I know the trade off, I do have candy on a regular basis but its always a fun size or a portion of a large bar.
Hi fish, WOW thats great, good for you!!! and you kept it off for over a year already, I think the way you tackled it was the best way to do it, cutting down on everything, (smaller portions) but the same types of food, including a sweet treat now and then, thats the way Im going to do it too, I mean I feel whats the use of all that effort and time taking lots of weight off only to some time afterwards put it all back again, hence what you say diets dont work, certainly not in the long term anyway, I also dont drink pop/soda never have, just always knew that it wasn't good for me and full of sugar not to mention all that caffeine, who needs it? potatoes yep like you I still eat them but much smaller portions, bread only ever had it three times a week, and always as a sandwich for lunchtime, never with a meal, it was cold and windy today so I still went out for my walk but I only had a nice brisk 20 to 30 minute walk, I think that will be enough as long as I do it every day, I thought that 2 miles every day was a little too ambitious for me, it sounds good when you say it but actually doing a 2 mile walk every day ---- well hmmm maybe not!!! Im going to weigh myself every Saturday, I feel lighter already, Ill let you know how the first week went in a couple of days
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have FitBits...our goal is 10K steps a day. it really encourages you to get the steps up.

It syncs up to all my Apple devices...but you can sync it with other computers, tablets, smart phones etc.

Fitbit Official Site for Activity Trackers & More
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have FitBits...our goal is 10K steps a day. it really encourages you to get the steps up.

It syncs up to all my Apple devices...but you can sync it with other computers, tablets, smart phones etc.

We have those, my nephew bought everyone in the family a fitbit for Christmas 2013, around 15 of us, we wear them everyday, my wife can track everyone on her android phone, we can all see each others steps and related info.

I'm not a very competitive person by nature but I must admit its fun when there are 15 close family members competing, we've had some great laughs over this device, then again we love a good laugh.

My neice is the top person most weeks with over 100.000 steps, The weeks of Christmas and New Years I was #1, but that was that, now my neice is back in the fight and #1.

Last week I did 70.500 steps, Ive had weeks over 80.000, its not that difficult as long as you remember to wear your fitbit, there are days when Ive totally forgotten it which ruins my weekly totals, the worst thing is losing it.

My wife doesn't like losing to me and she often wins.

I wear my fitbit in my tight fitting socks.

They are quite durable, I ran over my wifes with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it didnt leave a mark.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Hi jerseygirl, WOW Ive never heard of fitbit before, sounds great thanks for sending the link ---- I will check it out!!!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi jerseygirl, WOW Ive never heard of fitbit before, sounds great thanks for sending the link ---- I will check it out!!!
I have the small one...the Zip. I've had it for over 2 years. Hubby has the new Charge.

The Zip doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the others have...but it suits me.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you looking to buy physical activity gadgets, the Garmin VivoFit and VivoSmart seem to get the best reviews from researchers I know who use them (I do a fair bit of research on use of technology for physical activity promotion - though I steer clear of gadgetry myself!)
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Nike one that connects to the iPhone and tracks your activity. If I could figure out how to get it started I'd be set.
I have gained weight coming back, but I had lost too much in the stress of the move. I gained it all back and it bought dome friends with it.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have a Nike one that connects to the iPhone and tracks your activity. If I could figure out how to get it started I'd be set.
I have gained weight coming back, but I had lost too much in the stress of the move. I gained it all back and it bought (dome friends) with it.
Hi MITF whats -------dome friends?
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MITF whats -------dome friends?
I think it's a typo. I think she meant to type "some friends". The S is right next to the D on the qwerty keyboard.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats all on these fitness iinitiatives!

I do try to watch what I eat and I walk a lot--need to do more weightbearing exercise though-- anyway am thinking of getting an old-fashioned pedometer to measure steps as don't have the smartphone etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.