Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Hello Everyone, can not believe it has been such a long time since I was here. brief catch up, moved back to the UK August 2011, having left my 3 children behind they were 20 and twins 19.. was back in the UK for 2 and half years and loved it. I got to spend time with my mum who passed away aged 90 last year. I loved being home after 17 years in the USA.. anyway my children missed me, I missed them, so I made the painful decision for me to go back to NH in Dec last year.. was never happy but got a nice job and was staying with friends. But like so many, hardly saw my children, now 23 and 22, So came back to UK on June 5th for a couple of months to decide.. and have decided I want to be here, so will be going back to USA next week to pack up my stuff again!!
I hope every one of my old expats friends are all ok.. I have missed you all.
Trotty I will see you when I am back...I promise!
Will try and do some reading and catching up again..
Good for you, its amazing how the UK can pull on our heartstrings, I hope it works out well for you.

At least you spent some quality time with your Mum so you have no regrets there, over time things have got clearer for you.

Thanks for the update.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone, thank you for the well wishes. I arrived late Thursday... lovely to be met by my daughters, son was working.. I have to admit to feeling very overwhelmed and have thought many times already Oh god what have I done.. but already I have helped my daughter out with some issues.. spent some time with all 3 of them.. I have wonderful friends that I am staying with.. but feel very lost actually. Woke to snow yesterday.. and my heart sank. I am in New Hampshire though so knew it was going to happen and today more snow.. Not feeling good about much at the moment but it is early. I have to get a car, with limited cash and a job pretty soon...Depressed would describe my mood..but time will tell.
It is really tough being an Expat..
This is one of your old posts so I thought I would post it for others to recollect.

Cheers

PS I think you are in Nottingham?
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Hi my old pals Fish and Cheers, I am in Leicester.... I am a Brit through and through..miss the UK so much when not here.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips..since you like me are a car guy I thought I would ask you about some of the TV series from British television and about the cars they show from about 60 years ago and they all look like were borrowed from an car museum. They are all in pristine condition but on thing I noticed is that some of them have present day brake lights on them. Think two bright fog brake lights. I'm even wondering if cars back then even had brake lights on them and if they did it would have been a flimsy single light.

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do they still sell Hovis in the UK?

I've asked this before but what is everyone's opinion on a good British newspaper. The one I have settled on for now is the London Telegraph. I don't think I like the Guardian. My second choice is the Express.

My dad used to take the Daily Mail but since they merged with the Sun I think it went down hill.

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney and Islander are missing from here for awhile???
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Fish and chips..since you like me are a car guy I thought I would ask you about some of the TV series from British television and about the cars they show from about 60 years ago and they all look like were borrowed from an car museum. They are all in pristine condition but on thing I noticed is that some of them have present day brake lights on them. Think two bright fog brake lights. I'm even wondering if cars back then even had brake lights on them and if they did it would have been a flimsy single light.

Cheers
60 Years ago isnt that long ago in terms of cars, Im sure lights where on all cars then, decades before that Id guess some were 6 volt, not so bright but they didnt go so fast and the roads werent packed with cars back then.

I know the VW bug was a 6 volt system at one point.

If you want to see some good car shows go to the Velocity channel, We are into the Wheeler Dealer car show, its British, Im sure you would like it, id seen it in the UK years ago, now we have it and Im hooked.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi my old pals Fish and Cheers, I am in Leicester.... I am a Brit through and through..miss the UK so much when not here.
I must admit I had been wondering about you and figured you were stuck here, Im glad you are going back, sometimes it take a back n forth to figure it out, I know when I was back in the UK I never thought about being here, that says it all, I would have stayed if I could have got a job but things were tough back then.

Good Luck, Stay happy.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Do they still sell Hovis in the UK?

I've asked this before but what is everyone's opinion on a good British newspaper. The one I have settled on for now is the London Telegraph. I don't think I like the Guardian. My second choice is the Express.

My dad used to take the Daily Mail but since they merged with the Sun I think it went down hill.

Cheers
Yes, Hovis is still available but not the crusty loaves you are perhaps remembering, it is now yet another sliced option. Tried it once, didnt like it, went off to find a proper crusty wholemeal loaf. Hovis - Our Range

Daily papers - can't help you, I don't use them regularly. I do read whatever papers I happen across in pubs - my fav local has Daily Mail.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Sep 2nd 2014 at 8:48 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone, can not believe it has been such a long time since I was here. brief catch up, moved back to the UK August 2011, having left my 3 children behind they were 20 and twins 19.. was back in the UK for 2 and half years and loved it. I got to spend time with my mum who passed away aged 90 last year. I loved being home after 17 years in the USA.. anyway my children missed me, I missed them, so I made the painful decision for me to go back to NH in Dec last year.. was never happy but got a nice job and was staying with friends. But like so many, hardly saw my children, now 23 and 22, So came back to UK on June 5th for a couple of months to decide.. and have decided I want to be here, so will be going back to USA next week to pack up my stuff again!!
Kids!! shame you didn't see so much of them, I know we see less and less of our oldest now he's off living and working in England, but when he visits it's lovely. I'm sure your brood will come and visit you in UK.
Nice you have now made the decision to come back home for yourself, not for anyone else.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh - you are becoming a ping-ponger!! All the best to you.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Lestergirl, so happy to see your post. I have thought about you and how you were faring. Sorry to hear that you don't see your children much, but as someone said "job well done" they are independent and moving on with their lives. I came back after my short stint in the U.K. I got the wobbles and came back to the U.S. My U.S husband and I are planning on going back to the U.K via Ireland and doing the surrender Singh route. It's not definite.I know I want to go home. We have our trailer up for sale at the moment but not much interest in it. Good luck to you .I wish you all the best.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Denise we were just talking about you over brekky the other morning wondering how you were getting on. Glad you've made a decision you're happy with, now it's time to think about your own well being; you deserve to be happy. Good luck with the new move and don't be a stranger here.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Lestergirl! How great to see you back! Thank you so much for the catch-up.

Everything changes! Your feelings then were different from your feelings now. You and the kids are different now.

Much here for us all to learn from.....

(And I have never met trotty in person but when you see her, give her a hug from me.)
Lestergirl, nice to hear from you again, and thanks for putting us up to date,
great to know you have decided to return to UK for good,

The words above from BTW ring so true dont they, ---- our feelings do indeed change over time, we change, everything changes,

Im still here at home with Mum and we are still getting along well together, and Im so lucky to be able to spend this time with her,
its been almost 4 years since I came home, and in that time Ive gone through a lot of changes, and like most of us it really has not been easy to settle down here, but Im so happy I made the move, this is where Im supposed to be at this time in my life, I know that
now,
I also have never met trotty/Avril ----- although over the years since I have known her I regard her as a very good friend, she even just recently sent my Mum a parcel of gifts, including a nice book for her to read ----- which she loves!!!! trotty is so thoughtful and kind, and this I think is fantastic ---- especially as she has so much to have to deal with in her own life, and now Hubby is not well either,
So Lestergirl when you see her please give her two hugs --- one from me and one from my Mum!!! ---- Thanks!!!!
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Sep 4th 2014 at 11:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.