Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Everyone has been very helpful and patient with you. Some have tried to tell you that many are getting fed up of your attitude...and now you come out with the above comments.

Just about everyone who has contributed to this thread are nice people...they come on BE to help others. I think you are being very unfair not only with the above comments...but with some of the comments you have posted in other posts today.

If you want people to continue to help you...you should think very carefully about the tone of your posts. Most of us are very sympathetic to the position you find yourself in...we are doing our best to support you but you in turn must do your bit too.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
You and I will have to agree to differ. In my opinion calling someone's posts a "soap opera" is CERTAINLY rude, at least my parents would have thought so and taught me similarly. Maybe not to you, though. I wouldn't dream of calling someone's dire circumstances a soap opera. I wouldn't be so cruel. But that's me and thank G** I have the class that I have!

Clan, indeed!

I said I wouldn't respond but I did - but only this one.

I hope there is an END to the rudeness here and I sincerely hope no one else will ever again be the brunt of it.
Everyone else is rude...right...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I've been thinking a lot about what you said about people in the UK always taking holidays and day trips. This is one of the main, if not the top reason that I think about going back to England.

My brother doesn't have a lot of extra cash but he's always going somewhere. This weekend he's off to Yarmouth for a few days, then somewhere else and somewhere else. I can't even keep up with it !

Then he asks me: What have you got planned? Aaagh. Nothing,,, except work, work, work, work in the garden, work in the house, fix the fence, clear up, take the recycling, etc., etc., etc., etc. Boooriiiing.

I have dreams of getting up, catching a bus to a neighbouring town for market day, having a weekend in London, going to the seaside for a few days, driving around to see the villages, going through France in a campervan... and more! This is what keeps my goal alive.

I have, however, just booked a ticket to come in July for a month I shall be connecting with several old school friends and longtime friends in my hometown (Bedford) then summoning all my courage to rent a car and drive around before visiting more friends and heading to London for a few days.

I remember my childhood as a string of day trips, picnics and holidays. They were the best of times!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Rodney, I've been thinking a lot about what you said about people in the UK always taking holidays and day trips. This is one of the main, if not the top reason that I think about going back to England.

My brother doesn't have a lot of extra cash but he's always going somewhere. This weekend he's off to Yarmouth for a few days, then somewhere else and somewhere else. I can't even keep up with it !

Then he asks me: What have you got planned? Aaagh. Nothing,,, except work, work, work, work in the garden, work in the house, fix the fence, clear up, take the recycling, etc., etc., etc., etc. Boooriiiing.

I have dreams of getting up, catching a bus to a neighbouring town for market day, having a weekend in London, going to the seaside for a few days, driving around to see the villages, going through France in a campervan... and more! This is what keeps my goal alive.

I have, however, just booked a ticket to come in July for a month I shall be connecting with several old school friends and longtime friends in my hometown (Bedford) then summoning all my courage to rent a car and drive around before visiting more friends and heading to London for a few days.

I remember my childhood as a string of day trips, picnics and holidays. They were the best of times!
Hi Linda,
July Huh!!! well thats just around the corner, I will PM you my phone number and maybe we can get together for a coffee & chat ---- not sure where Bedford is? ---- WOW a whole month holiday for you, I bet your looking forward to the trip.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

You and I will have to agree to differ. In my opinion calling someone's posts a "soap opera" is CERTAINLY rude, at least my parents would have thought so and taught me similarly. Maybe not to you, though. I wouldn't dream of calling someone's dire circumstances a soap opera. I wouldn't be so cruel. But that's me and thank G** I have the class that I have!

Clan, indeed!

I said I wouldn't respond but I did - but only this one.

I hope there is an END to the rudeness here and I sincerely hope no one else will ever again be the brunt of it.
Does this mean windsong has finally left our thread ------- never to return,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I hope so
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks for that! I now have coffee all over my keyboard
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
wow you get a good deal in Wales. Until we decided to go back to our home in UK and before my holiday there I spent far too much time on Rightmove!
Indeed! We did our research and Wales was by far the most economical. Being highly allergic to the stuff I might have issue with living in Mold or any Mold street though
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Does this mean windsong has finally left our thread ------- never to return,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I hope so
Rodney, remember you have a heart condition. Keep the stress level down

Seriously though, I am hoping for a speedy resolution to your condition. Please keep us posted.

~Monique
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

How would anyone like to be homeless in America!
Homeless in the UK isn't any better. Plenty of people living in tents, sheds, sleeping on benches or in shop doorways in the UK.

The UK stopped housing people if they make themselves homeless i.e. don't pay their rent; move to the UK for benefits (moved with no job or money to pay their own rent).

No access to foodbanks either now, without a referral.

Last edited by formula; Jun 17th 2014 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Legal position for homeless in England is summed up here

Rights for homeless people - Merton Council

Rather different in Scotland, where I live. We actually have empty houses available for let because of population decline !
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Legal position for homeless in England is summed up here

Rights for homeless people - Merton Council

Rather different in Scotland, where I live. We actually have empty houses available for let because of population decline !
I did wonder after I wrote that, if the rules for housing people in Scotland is different to the rest of the UK mainland.

I suppose if Scotland vote, "Yes" those empty house will be filled with returning Scots when they swap their UK/EU passposts for a Scottish passport.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Most areas in Scotland do NOT have empty houses. I live in one of the island areas where there has been extensive population loss.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Most areas in Scotland do NOT have empty houses. I live in one of the island areas where there has been extensive population loss.
My niece just moved to the Isle of Skye - I've never been there but judging by the photos my sister has sent me, it's absolutely beautiful. I plan on staying there for a few days on my next trip back to the UK (hopefully next year).
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Derrygal.....there are some beautiful islands off the coast of Scotland. Do you remember that series they did with the catholic priests, they lived on an island it was really beautiful.

Jasper123... I hope you get your pacemaker soon, my brother has one and it's working fine. How is your Mum doing.

I think what I miss most about not being home is the independence you have, you have excellent bus service and trains. The fact that so many people do take tours through the UK is another plus, I remember my Mother would take mystery tours around the Chester countryside she always enjoyed it and even though she would go on her own she would meet up with people.

I remember how difficult I was finding it to decide on an area to live so many really beautiful places to settle. My friend returned and settled in Dorset she loves it.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120.....how are things going have you made any decisions yet about moving to another area. It can be really hard settling in and take quite a long time and the missing your friends in the US and moving back to be with them , but I think you should hang on a while longer. Look into different areas to move to. You have such a great talent with your photographs I am sure you could make a business of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.