Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This is why the NHS doctors do not want to operate on your mum's friend unless she loses weight (the link has some technical terms but you will get the gist of it):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227108.php
Yes thats very interesting reading, and of course the hospital would not operate, too much risk to the patient I would think is the main reason, but that would be too simple, and nothing is ever that simple, a part of the reason for a no op policy on heavy people must also be ----- why should we!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
The very little bit I know about this subject is that all manangement is under the gun to increase sales. If their sales go down then they are out of a job. Up at the top the CEOs have to perform for the stockholders or they get bounced. Think of it as a game that the kids play on their computers and they thrive to win. Well thats that side of the story looking at the other side. Employees are just a means to atchieve sales and they have to work hours at any time of the day This is a big thing to me that I remember in 'England' in my day that shops were closed on Sunday and this allowed people to get together as family and friends and plan for that day, now I'm afraid that the businesses want to be open 24 hours so as to increase sales again. Shops use to close at 5:30 or 6pm and the employees had a life! You should hear the Americans scream because they can't shop 24 hours a day in England like 'back home' its so inconvenient for them! I always think of the employee side. Sorry. Some shops use to close at 1pm on Saturday and the employees could go to the match or ?? I think that was a long time ago because they went to early closing on Wednesday so to be open all day on Saturday. My point is family and culture was important and unfortunately they are taking the American view that if your family gets in the way of your job then get a divorce!

OK vote for me if you agree! Family and culture is more important than materialism and convenience in shopping(higher sales).

I'm really not this hostile but I do have my opinions.

Yesterday we saw the hostility to Tesco in Bristol and I was caught in between because I hate, hate violence against the police and property period. On the other had we have Tesco who in my opinion go around and grease hands to open up all over, pay low wages (so I'm told) and they end up ruining towns and villages by closing down the neighborhood shops that people could walk to.

and furthermore its all Dunrovins fault
cheers you have got my vote for sure!!! and if you ever want to run for senator, remember you are never too old, we need people like you to change the way things are!!!
Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
cheers you have got my vote for sure!!! and if you ever want to run for senator, remember you are never too old, we need people like you to change the way things are!!!
Wh ...?

Where did you get that post from Cheers? I must have missed that one - or is it a really old one? Not sure what I did to create mayhem in the retail industry ...
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wh ...?

Where did you get that post from Cheers? I must have missed that one - or is it a really old one? Not sure what I did to create mayhem in the retail industry ...
Yes dunroving it is an old post of cheers I dug up from way back, Just thought it was an interesting subject, the short reference to you at the end was just banter, a little lightheartedness, humor,
Old Nov 9th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tomorrow night is the last episode of Dowton Abbey for all us lot who are already in UK
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow night is the last episode of Downton Abbey for all us lot who are already in UK
Already? Is there going to be a Christmas special like last year? If so, I hope they don't have any more nasty surprises planned.

Must say that after the shocker a few weeks back, they haven't been too sensationalist but I do feel that the stories are being tweaked just to satisfy the American audience.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:02 am
Ping-ponger

Yes dunroving it is an old post of cheers I dug up from way back, Just thought it was an interesting subject, the short reference to you at the end was just banter, a little lightheartedness, humor,
Phew, I thought I was going a bit crazy when I couldn't remember it or see it. Realised it was banter, I just didn't remember it.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Already? Is there going to be a Christmas special like last year? If so, I hope they don't have any more nasty surprises planned.

Must say that after the shocker a few weeks back, they haven't been too sensationalist but I do feel that the stories are being tweaked just to satisfy the American audience.
Yes dunroving I also hope they have a Christmas special like last year, I think you are right about thinking that the producers and writers of Downton Abbey have the American audience in mind a lot when they make each episode, as it has become so big over there with a much bigger audience then here in the UK, and I did read that the whole series is made with mostly American money!!!! am I right in thinking that, do you or anyone out there know if this is true?
Old Nov 9th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding Downton Abbey and the Americans - it has a huge following here. Also, I was in Macy's department store last weekend and they have a new display of fashion (costume) jewelry there called "Downton Abbey", necklaces, earrings, etc copied from the style worn during that period. Very nice I must admit. My daughter bought some earrings!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I got a call last evening, Shipping arrives Tuesday. I have got the boys to get days off to help out, so I hope it goes smoothly. We cleared the Garage out of just about everything. We'll see what happens. Of course the water board decided to dig on the road leading to ours. I hope the truck can get past.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I got a call last evening, Shipping arrives Tuesday. I have got the boys to get days off to help out, so I hope it goes smoothly. We cleared the Garage out of just about everything. We'll see what happens. Of course the water board decided to dig on the road leading to ours. I hope the truck can get past.
Good for you Pauline, I hope all arrives in perfect shape, it will be an early Christmas for you...

I didnt know the UK was into Water Boarding... lol...
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, Christams special 2013.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...e-going-to-die
Old Nov 9th 2013, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Here you go, Christams special 2013.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Maybe put a spoiler alert on that post - some Downton fans might not want to read what's in it. Finding out what is NOT going to happen is almost as annoying as finding out what IS going to happen.

I honestly think film and TV critics have a mean streak - why else would they drop spoilers into their articles? Bloody tossers.

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 9th 2013 at 3:16 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am a member of netflix and I have been watching the first two episodes of season one of leverage staring Timothy Hutton, I loved it!!! never seen one before, it said that season one started in 2008, I was still in America then, it must have escaped me, anyone know if its still going over there, I just love it how big movie stars in the U.S. ping pong from the big screen to the smaller screen like they do
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of TV shows. The second season of Last Tango in Halifax starts this month on BBC 1. I really enjoyed the first season, so I am looking forward to the next installment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.