Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi, Rosie - It was so sad for me to see all that you complain of in Frome - To think back to 1971, when 'Joan' my Second Wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon in the area ( actually stayed at a cottage in Chapmanslade) - Frome was then so lovely, clean, and inviting.

Sign of the times- I don't think so - just overall bad manners and upbringing.

Take Care. Don
Hi Don - Nice to see you back on here. I am off to Frome in a few days for a short visit, and am sure I shall have mixed feelings because it IS the cutest town ever (my opinion) but has some really nasty types living in or near to it. What would make it great? Well, ditch the noisy, dirty troublemakers; clean the streets; get rid of dogs in the town center (not meaning to start another BE discussion, as we covered this topic before); make pubs close at 10:30pm like they used to; close down the two city center nightclubs that take the pub 'over swill' and stay open until 3am. And if you do all that, the city center pubs will close as those are the types who keep them in business. Oh, and move the town to the seaside whilst all this removing is going on....
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi, Rosie - It was so sad for me to see all that you complain of in Frome - To think back to 1971, when 'Joan' my Second Wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon in the area ( actually stayed at a cottage in Chapmanslade) - Frome was then so lovely, clean, and inviting.

Sign of the times- I don't think so - just overall bad manners and upbringing.

Take Care. Don
I couldn't agree more. There are also far too many people in this world and it seems the more there are, the more spoiled, shallow and selfish many become.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I couldn't agree more. There are also far too many people in this world
It's fair to say none of us is offering to commit suicide though
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

A common question, whats the weather like today in the UK and how do you feel about it?

For those of you who moved back to the UK, do you wish you had moved back sooner-earlier?

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
A common question, whats the weather like today in the UK and how do you feel about it?

For those of you who moved back to the UK, do you wish you had moved back sooner-earlier?

Cheers
Thunderstormy. I love it but it's hard on little pooch. He's getting better.

And no to the second bit, no point even considering that question as I can't change the past
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's fair to say none of us is offering to commit suicide though
That'd be like having skin cancer removed while lying on a sunbed. Grim analogy, but I'm sure you get my drift
Old Jul 29th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a lot of postings on here about pets going to the UK so I thought I would pass along this warning.
On another forum someone posted that they had just located to the UK with a couple of pets and within a few days of being back one of the cats escaped through the front door. That was a week ago and the kitty hasn't returned yet.
What a blow!

Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

We very often write about the great benefits of free bus travel in the UK for those who are old enough to qualify but I was curious what bus fares cost and in the one sample I got it was outrageous. Try this, £4.60 for a 10 minute ride. Tell me I am wrong.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jul 30th 2013 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
We very often write about the great benefits of free bus travel in the UK for those who are old enough to qualify but I was curious what bus fares cost and in the one sample I got it was outrageous. Try this, £4.60 for a 10" ride. Tell me I am wrong.

Cheers
Where is that fare for? And is that 10 inches you are referring to?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Where is that fare for? And is that 10 inches you are referring to?
I think that " can mean minutes.

The fare is on Stagecoach buses around Maidenhead.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

In making my plans to return, I like to cover ALL possibilities, so . . . how long do you have to wait before you can file for unemployment benefits after you return? I don't think I will need it but it is always better to be prepared.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
In Australia (not at the chains) I used to ask for a burger with the lot, and would expect meat, tomato, lettuce, egg, beetroot, onion, pineapple and sauce. Quite a mixture but delicious
Aries I would love to meet you one day ------ your nuts!!!! I like people like that, that Oz Burger sounds a recipe for a heart attack
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

In making my plans to return, I like to cover ALL possibilities, so . . . how long do you have to wait before you can file for unemployment benefits after you return? I don't think I will need it but it is always better to be prepared.
windsong I thought your plans to come home were when you were retired age,

anyone NOT of working age (as they say here) which is 65 for a man and a little younger for a woman at the moment still, they CANT apply for unemployment benefits, regardless if they are entitled to any part of a British state pension or not!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
windsong I thought your plans to come home were when you were retired age,

anyone NOT of working age (as they say here) which is 65 for a man and a little younger for a woman at the moment still, they CANT apply for unemployment benefits, regardless if they are entitled to any part of a British state pension or not!!!!
Rodney, I am going to try to get over there a lot sooner - and I will still be of working age.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I am going to try to get over there a lot sooner - and I will still be of working age.
Does this help - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...tizens_hrt.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.