Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
I didn't write much because I got interrupted
I am fascinated by everything here especially the different kinds of cars that we don't get in the US.
Everyone is very helpful here.
I've had my favorite pastries so I have to cut back to get my sugar down. I had my second fish and chips today. Very good. 5.30 pounds seems standard price for them. I also had my almond tart, custard, blackcurrent and Neapolitan.
I've mentioned about minorities in the UK and where am now the are almost none existent. The Irish Ferries crew are all from the former Soviet block countries and they tell me they live on board the ferry and get to go home frequently.
I have been to Tesco frequently to get my phone connected and I spoke to a customer and she said she was from Korea.
All the people I see daily are about our age.
We are in a nice rural cottage and it has twobathrooms It has lots of hot water.
Tomorrow we are to a factory outlet store and then on to Chester.
I love it here!
Cheers

Sorry about the mistakes but they come from using my iPad
Hi Cheers! I can see I shall soon have to look out for you! - Not far from us in Shropshire! Take Care. You WILL enjoy Chester - of that I am sure. Don
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Cheers....You sound as if you are having a wonderful time. But when you mentioned Chester my heart missed a beat. My beautiful hometown. So many memories I hope you enjoy walking through the Rows and through the Precinct. Down by the river and Marks and Spencers......Did you pass through Hoole. Did you go to the Cathedral or the indoor Market.
We are going to the indoor market and the Costco.
We have tearoom picked out before we left home. It is in chester.
8.17 am.
My daughter got her suitcase delivered yesterday. She should have got it when she arrived on Friday night. A warning here!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers....You sound as if you are having a wonderful time. But when you mentioned Chester my heart missed a beat. My beautiful hometown. So many memories I hope you enjoy walking through the Rows and through the Precinct. Down by the river and Marks and Spencers......Did you pass through Hoole. Did you go to the Cathedral or the indoor Market.
As a child my father would take his children, us, on a none stop Crosville bus from the ferry in Birkenhead to Chester on Sundays. That was big stuff to me at that age.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
You seem to be having a good time cheers, Im so glad that you like it here
Chester is one of my favorite places, I must make my way up there one day again, last time I was there was 1960 so its probably changed just a little cheers I know you told us but I forgot ------ when was the last time you were in the UK?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Have you been to the chippy yet?
Twice I think.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
It sounds like you are having FUN, wait till you get to Chester, I've only been once, last year, its a fascinating place, I'm sure plenty of forum members will be envious...

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself, I told you the cars where cool didn't I, are you renting a car, if so spill the beans...

The food, don't get me started... Fish n Chips, Pie n chips, mushy peas, batter bits, sausage, and roast beef, its all good Huhhhh Ive hardly touched the surface, be sure to get some chocolate, Frys Chocolate Creams, Crunchies, Raspberry Ruffles and Thorntons are always on my list, there is a Thontons in Chester Enjoy...
We are renting two cars. One is for my daughter. She has a big Volvo, diesel. We both have automatic transmissions. She has GPS in hers.
My car is a ford, mid size. Both are Black in color.
We are surprised that Hertz would rent out cars with scratches and dents on them. They probably make money repairing them.
Don,t ask me to explain why we have two cars?? We travel in a convoy.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

We are renting two cars. One is for my daughter. She has a big Volvo, diesel. We both have automatic transmissions. She has GPS in hers.
My car is a ford, mid size. Both are Black in color.
We are surprised that Hertz would rent out cars with scratches and dents on them. They probably make money repairing them.
Don,t ask me to explain why we have two cars?? We travel in a convoy.
Wow Two cars, you are really spending the cashola, Im a big fan of Volvo's, it was the best car I ever rented, Id bet the Ford is a Mondeo, a nice car too, Automatic is the way to go, it makes the UK so easy... Enjoy...

Be careful in that indoor market, I enjoyed that place for a while, it took me back in time, I bought some walkers toffees from some ladies, I was chewing the very first one and broke a tooth, Yikes, $850 for a cap...
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow Two cars, you are really spending the cashola, Im a big fan of Volvo's, it was the best car I ever rented, Id bet the Ford is a Mondeo, a nice car too, Automatic is the way to go, it makes the UK so easy... Enjoy...

Be careful in that indoor market, I enjoyed that place for a while, it took me back in time, I bought some walkers toffees from some ladies, I was chewing the very first one and broke a tooth, Yikes, $850 for a cap...
I just checked and it is Ford Focus.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheers! Welcome to the UK. Glad that you got here safely, and are enjoying the local area. Happy vacation, happy travelling and happy eating!

If you do make it down to Devon, please let me know - perhaps we can meet up and enjoy a pub meal or tea room.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I understand this, but yet I don't find it to be the case.

Let me explain.

I am one of those 'keep-to-myself' Brits. I am shy and scared to impose myself on others. My husband is also quite reserved but less shy than me, so he's been introducing himself to people as we walk around the village. I am always a little bit uncomfortable when he does it (because my inner-Brit is saying 'don't intrude, don't be a pest, don't make a fuss') and yet every single time he's done it, it's ended well.

In America, no one in our town talked to us. No one waved at us. None of our neighbours ever invited us for dinner. But I don't think that's America versus the Uk. I think that's because we didn't know how to behave in order to connect in a strange culture. I say that because so many Americans claim that it's easy to make friends in America, and hard to do it here, and yet I was lonely for over 15 years in America and for 6 in Canada.
When I first arrived in the USA I was quite shy and reserved. I am still reserved but less shy. I must say it's been extremely difficult to make friends with people here over the years and, in fact, I have led a lonely life here for the most part.

Working in public relations and dealing with the public has helped tremendously and if I am in a situation where I feel a little shy these days, i simply imagine I have my working PR hat on and it disappears.

Work aside, I am usually a quiet, contemplative sort of person who likes privacy. At the end of the day when work has ended I love going home to my sanctuary/solitude. My business requires me to deal with people in a very public way and when I am finished with that, I retreat into my home or into nature to contemplate, "create" and relax.

It takes time to make close friends. It takes time to peel the layers of that "onion" to get to know someone really well. I don't believe in "instant clicks". It's all fake, in my opinion. It confused me for years but these days I shrug it off and put no importance on instant clicks because they really are not real.

I do think I have the skills (because of PR work) to break through that British exterior gradually and in a nice way. I don't think I will have any trouble at all making friends over there.

I think you are absolutely right about it not being a UK/USA thing but rather the case that we never learned how to connect here the way Americans do - and perhaps we really didn't want to.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 19th 2013 at 10:50 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest Ds just moved to Hoole, it looks nice.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I think you are absolutely right about it not being a UK/USA thing but rather the case that we never learned how to connect here the way Americans do - and perhaps we really didn't want to.
Good point - 'we didn't want to'. I was talking with two ladies in their 80s today, and both of them said they did not want visitors, don't want anyone coming over for a cup of tea or a talk, and enjoy going out on their own. Yet they are the first ones to the coffee mornings here, are very friendly when you meet them, enjoy palling up with someone to go to lunch or on a bus ride. I appreciate not having a daily visitor, as these places are very small, but it is the mindset I cannot understand. Sometimes the US looks very favourable from my viewpoint, then I remember: no job/no home/no car/no medical.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked and it is Ford Focus.
Thanks...
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:38 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Good point - 'we didn't want to'. I was talking with two ladies in their 80s today, and both of them said they did not want visitors, don't want anyone coming over for a cup of tea or a talk, and enjoy going out on their own. Yet they are the first ones to the coffee mornings here, are very friendly when you meet them, enjoy palling up with someone to go to lunch or on a bus ride. I appreciate not having a daily visitor, as these places are very small, but it is the mindset I cannot understand. Sometimes the US looks very favourable from my viewpoint, then I remember: no job/no home/no car/no medical.
I honestly don't think I didn't want to ... I just didn't have the language or the ability to. Nor did I have any understanding of the underlying culture, which made connection difficult.

People have been so friendly here - perhaps it's a north-south difference. We have had invites galore, just from my husband introducing himself.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I honestly don't think I didn't want to ... I just didn't have the language or the ability to. Nor did I have any understanding of the underlying culture, which made connection difficult.

People have been so friendly here - perhaps it's a north-south difference. We have had invites galore, just from my husband introducing himself.
I do think it is a more of a north-south divide, though not completely, as some of the people who are very reserved are from the north. The most open people I have met here are ex-Londoners.

Also the European culture means people tend to entertain in cafes and restaurants rather than in their own homes. My American and Jamaican family and friends find this strange, as we are, by nature, very open and welcoming and entertain in our homes and back yards - think of barbecues at the slightest hint of celebration. At one time in the US I used to belong to a church where, within a few weeks of joining, I was welcomed to meals, barbecues, and field trips, and the ladies used to meet in each others homes for tea. Sometimes we would have breakfast in a restaurant before church services began, though more often it was a trip to a restaurant for lunch after the service.

It may be that the people who retire here are mostly singles, as the partner has died, and they are suspicious of new people, or just plain shy. I know there are a lot of lonely older people around, but if they cannot relate to others, they will continue to be lonely. I won't stay here for long if I don't find some companionship soon - I am not made to be this solitary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.