Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
I must be doing something wrong because I tried Hola.org and I had problems with my speed on the internet.
I didn't even get as far as downloading it. My McAfee program gave me a red alert to the website
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I loaded that Hola program. I think that is the name, and since downloading it I haven't been able to use the internet. I've been on the phone to the server for about an hour and they gave up and are going to send someone out. So I started thinking what changes had I made before the internet went down and I the only thing I've done is downloaded Hola. So Hola told me how to uninstal their program and Bingo I've got my internet back.
I'm not complaining about Hola. They seem to be a legitimate company.

To be precise it slowed my download speed to a crawl.

Hola allows us to receive BBC I think.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the fault of the cable TV company. Hola unblocks a lot of sites that perhaps the cable TV companies don't want to be unblocked. They may have put something in place to deliberately slow it down so you can't use Hola.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Re entertainment.
I think we live in an unusual age. When we watch films/movies we see so many of the actors who have now past on since making these movies. Strange that.

I said to DW, I feel like with so many of the great stars passing on that we have been left behind.

Cheers
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

OMG did you hear the latest news flash? today there was a big three car shoot out in Vegas, las vegas blvd & flamingo, right in the heart of the strip, then the shoot out caused cars to collide into each other, a car went into a taxi and it burst into flames, there calling it the die hard shootings, four people dead, as you all know Vegas is my town I came from, Hmmmm seems to be getting even more dangerous there now, ---- me thinks maybe I got out of dodge just in time!!!![/QUOTE]

Wish I could say the same, I'm still stuck here in Vegas until Christmas and really struggling at the moment

I've obviously been here too long already as the news today didn't seem that shocking

Maybe, because this month so far on the strip there has been a stabbing, resulting in death and a shooting, resulting in two deaths. Also, a work friend of my husbands was mugged last week. That's only the strip, like many on here, reports of daily shootings/deaths are common place.

It takes all my will power to not grab my kids, tuck them under my arm and run to the airport as fast as I can.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some gorgeous photos of the Isle of Wight if anyone is interested.

http://wight-cam.co.uk/WightCAM/HTML/2004/040507.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
OMG did you hear the latest news flash? today there was a big three car shoot out in Vegas, las vegas blvd & flamingo, right in the heart of the strip, then the shoot out caused cars to collide into each other, a car went into a taxi and it burst into flames, there calling it the die hard shootings, four people dead, as you all know Vegas is my town I came from, Hmmmm seems to be getting even more dangerous there now, ---- me thinks maybe I got out of dodge just in time!!!![/QUOTE]

Wish I could say the same, I'm still stuck here in Vegas until Christmas and really struggling at the moment

I've obviously been here too long already as the news today didn't seem that shocking

this month so far on the strip there has been a stabbing, resulting in death and a shooting, resulting in two deaths. Also, a work friend of my husbands was mugged last week. That's only the strip, like many on here, reports of daily shootings/deaths are common place.

It takes all my will power to not grab my kids, tuck them under my arm and run to the airport as fast as I can.

"What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, because this month so far on the strip there has been a stabbing, resulting in death and a shooting, resulting in two deaths. Also, a work friend of my husbands was mugged last week. That's only the strip, like many on here, reports of daily shootings/deaths are common place.

How much longer do you have to stay?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Here are some gorgeous photos of the Isle of Wight if anyone is interested.

http://wight-cam.co.uk/WightCAM/HTML/2004/040507.htm
Ooh, thanks so much! This is where we dream of moving back too, if we can find jobs that is.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Ooh, thanks so much! This is where we dream of moving back too, if we can find jobs that is.
I can see why. It's gorgeous!!! This is the first time I have seen the Isle of Wight. I had no idea it was like this.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a tech geek so don't know why folks having issues. they have Facebook page and are responsive. The only issue I have is the odd buffering but occurs far less frequently than when I had expatshield. I really right now do nothing but watch BBC. I watched about 4 hours of programming last night. It is not configured yet for Windows 8. When I installed it you have options and I did if for Google Chrome configuration (if that is even the right word). I'm not telling folks to use it - it's an option. I barely watch ITV player anymore since you have to pay for a lot of stuff. I watch Coronation Street on YouTube. Does anyone know what other British TV programs you can get on YouTube. Somebody says you can get Escape to the Countryside. There are some good links on Trailer Park about television and options. I just was so tired of cable and especially the commercials..
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
I am not a tech geek so don't know why folks having issues. they have Facebook page and are responsive. The only issue I have is the odd buffering but occurs far less frequently than when I had expatshield. I really right now do nothing but watch BBC. I watched about 4 hours of programming last night. It is not configured yet for Windows 8. When I installed it you have options and I did if for Google Chrome configuration (if that is even the right word). I'm not telling folks to use it - it's an option. I barely watch ITV player anymore since you have to pay for a lot of stuff. I watch Coronation Street on YouTube. Does anyone know what other British TV programs you can get on YouTube. Somebody says you can get Escape to the Countryside. There are some good links on Trailer Park about television and options. I just was so tired of cable and especially the commercials..
Pay-per-view programs are the way of the future so we should expect every channel to do this eventually. TV is coming to the computer and many sites already offer it. Even some of the major orchestras worldwide are offering pay per view online.

I found Hola to be very responsive as you say because I contacted them with a question when I first installed it. I installed it as an extension of my browser (Firefox on a Mac) and it works fine.

In the past I have found both Coronation Street and Escape to the Country on YouTube. I also found Mr. Bean, old programs of Benny Hill, The Apprentice and Britain's Got Talent. I don't use YouTube for TV shows much because they used to limit their video length to 10 minutes but in some cases it has been increased to about 20 minutes but even that is not long enough for hour-long shows. Having said that, I have found a few videos on YT that are an hour in length.

In my own case, because I have had a YT account for a long time, have a significant number of viewers and uploads, I was allowed to bring over to YT a recording of an event we streamed on another web site that was over one-hour in length. I think the criteria is different for every channel. Also, if a channel owner is a YouTube "partner" it makes a difference, too.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 22nd 2013 at 3:40 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw that on he News yesterday I thought about you, I really did, its amazing how it becomes so common place living in an area that is surrounded by this crap...

We live in a fairly decent place but murders and hit and run deaths are out of control right now, Yesterday there was a march on the state capitol, these people were carrying weapons, not just hand guns either, they want to eliminate ALL gun laws in Oregon...
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:48 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the Downton Abbey crowd and Pollyanna.

NOTE: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOST CURRENT EPISODE.

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/down...on-3-episode-7

Last edited by lf1; Feb 22nd 2013 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am being pedantic, but if part of the reason for changing the name of this thread was to attract new posters who are seeking advice, support etc re moving back, shouldn't the thread be moved into the main "Moving Back" forum vs the "Rovers Return" sub forum.

As I recall, the original thread was in the main forum. My apologies to Pollyanna for raising this issue again as I suspect my most recent "Downton" post has made her head straight to the virtual pub. LOL

Last edited by lf1; Feb 22nd 2013 at 7:01 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Maybe I am being pedantic, but if part of the reason for changing the name of this thread was to attract new posters who are seeking advice, support etc re moving back, shouldn't the thread be moved into the main "Moving Back" forum vs the "Rovers Return" sub forum.

As I recall, the original thread was in the main forum. My apologies to Pollyanna for raising this issue again as I suspect my most recent "Downton" post has made her head straight to the virtual pub. LOL
Actually, YES, If1. You're not being pedantic, I agree with you, and you're right, the original thread was in the main forum.

I didn't even remember or think about this when suggesting the name change.

But yes, it would be better back in the main forum. It's harder to find in Rovers Return (and in fact when the once-new chit-chat subthread went there, I'd no idea where everyone had gone). In the main forum you can see all the threads at a glance.

If you want to broach this with a PM to Pollyana (thereby forcing her to lift her head from her pint!!!)in case she's not following the thread at the moment --you'll have avoid mentioning A Certain Programme in any PMs of course--you have my support!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.