Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:32 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
UKwinds thanks a lot for those kind and thoughtful words, I do hear and appreciate all the wonderful advice you are giving me,
and also all the lovely sentiments and advice from all you other great people on here that have responded, thank you all so much curleytops, dunroving, If1, and Sally and the rest that I have not responded to,

Today my Mum ate all her cereal this morning, and all her lunch, and also I cooked us one of her favourite meals, faggots, mash and brussel sprouts, for dinner and she ate it all, so her appetite is coming back thats music to my ears, now if only this darn constant pain in her lungs would go away then she would be able to start being herself again, she takes meds for her condition, but only paracetimal for the pain, and not as often as I would like, she says she does not want to get too used to them, but she takes a couple just before bed time and they do help her,

DON,
Today the phone rang and my Mum answered it and guess who it was, he said to Mum this is Don from Shropshire ---- Rodneys friend, (yes it was our very own Don on this thread) he and his wife have become very good friends of mine over time, ----- so Mum said do you want to talk to Rodney? and he said no I called to talk to you Phyllis and to wish you well and to hope you get better soon, and they chatted for a few minutes,
I was sitting by her side at the time and you should have seen this lovely smile that came over my Mums face, ------ Don you really cheered my Mum up no end, thanks so so so much for your concern and caring words to her,
your the tops!!!!
Rodney.
Rodney you are a cool guy. Are you still taking that trip to the States this year?

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 5th 2013 at 5:46 am.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Rodney you are a cool guy. Are you still taking that trip to the States this year?
No not this year, but my trip is planned for spring of 2014 to Las Vegas to stay for a month with my very good friend Art, but of course that all will depend on how Mum's health is at that time,
Cool guy Huh thats nice
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Oh so sorry, Rodney, I signed the previous message but not this last one. It's Monique, and USC hubby is Daniel, originally from California. We would be honored to meet with you. I have been looking at what is on offer in Portsmouth and there seems to be so much to do. Besides the Irish music there are also film clubs (right up my alley), bike clubs, book clubs, and on and on. We want to be very active in our retirement, but also have time to enjoy a quiet day by the beach just like you mentioned.

JJ also said Pompey was a good choice as far as what we were looking for, and JJ, we still have Norwich on the shortlist too. I guess we will just have to come by and see for ourselves. I am excited to plan our trip. Our daughter is just turning 21 and she will come with us. Not sure if she will want to come back for good when we do move, so this trip is as much about that as it is about us looking for a place to live.

I'm sure it must be much easier to just go back to where you came from. But for me that would be London, and that is just too expensive. Last time I lived there as a single lady, I had a job but lived with my grandmother. Would never have been able to afford a place of my own on my salary.

Yep, I am looking forward to ditching the car, the insurance, the repairs and upkeep...the whole headache. Won't mind taking the bus, and I absolutely love trains. Of course walking or biking is good too. Plan on being outdoors as much as the weather will allow. We are indoors too much in Florida.

Best regards to you and your Mum. I am so glad she is feeling better
Thanks Monique,
Well that will be something for me to look forward to, meeting you and your hubby Daniel, I can just imagine us all at that Irish Pub having a great time and Daniel playing his concertina, is he going to bring it with him on your next rec trip? its kind of a bulky instrument isn't it and heavy, Im just picturing you both going through the security scanner at the airport and all of a sudden it moves in the suitcase and plays a tune
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that John,
when you come out here this year, if you still want to meet up for another drink and maybe Dockyard/ship tour then that would be great, I would love to meet you and June again, your good people, but next time let me choose the Pub we have a very nice Pub right in the high street shopping area called Sir Frances Drake, its part of the weatherspoon empire, beer and ale are very inexpensive, and so are the meals, I checked it out months ago, even had a pint ---- and its only 10 minute walk from my house, ----- if I walk fast
Rodney.
Rodney, we will definitely be there some time this year for a dockyard visit, to see friends in Hythe by Southampton and to have a couple pints with you. Checking out new pubs is on the itinerary .
Not sure on dates yet, will be after new Mary Rose museum opens in the Dockyard. I hope to get to submarine museum too, over in Gosport and I hear the Marines Museum in Southsea is good also.
These are all good suggestions for anyone new visiting Pompey and a walk along Southsea front is good for some fresh air.
John
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

JJ also said Pompey was a good choice as far as what we were looking for, and JJ, we still have Norwich on the shortlist too. I guess we will just have to come by and see for ourselves. I am excited to plan our trip. Our daughter is just turning 21 and she will come with us. Not sure if she will want to come back for good when we do move, so this trip is as much about that as it is about us looking for a place to live.
If timing works out we would be glad to come over to Norwich to meet up.
John
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes it is - I was back there in October and the news was all about it and the city was getting ready for the big year. They were making a video/movie when I was there and several schoolchildren (from both Protestant and Catholic schools) were singing in a choir by the new Peace Bridge. It brought tears to my eyes - how times have changed. When I left in 1977 things were very different and it was a scary place to live. I would love to go back again this summer and attend some of the planned events, but honestly couldn't afford it after going just a few months ago - also my youngest daughter is pregnant (due in June) so I shall be taking my vacation time then to help her with the new baby. This will be my third grand-child and it will be exciting to have a new baby in the family (the other two are ages 7 and 5).
Thanks for your reply Derrygal. The fact that your city is the first winner in this culture competition says everything for Derry's stamina in spite of incredible odds.
Now I am very scared as the past two weeks are a big reminder from the 70's in Belfast. We left in 1972...,my husband was a senior registrar anesthetist in Newry...Border town with the republic. We had to take our one year son out of his bedroom into a windowless corridor on a regular basis when the gunfire was whining overhead.
I love it that your children live close and new baby is on the way:-) both of my children are now long time New Yorkers. They are free thinkers.... Psychiatrist and lawyer ...so not such a huge difference between NYC travel wise and NYC and Belfast.
My best to another Norn Irelander xx
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say (as there are a couple of hours of Christmas left here in the UK, 12th Night is not quite over!) Happy Christmas! and Happy New Year to all on here.

It's great to see old friends checking in like trotty (hope hubby gets well soon, trotty) and charleygirl and regular posters like jasper (hope your Mum's recovery continues apace!) and sallysimmons and dunroving, and too many others to mention like celticspirit and J.JsOH, and also all the new friends who've joined us like happyglow and perthhomeschool....

SO many friends on here....all the best to everyone for plans and hopes and dreams to become reality!

I've been in UK since before Christmas and have been enjoying it very much...family, food, Christmas celebrations, etc etc.....back to routine soon though.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your moms illness Rod. I hopes she is on the mend.
Fullwood, Sorry about you losing your brother. Chin up!
I've not been contributing much because I haven't figured out how to write from my ipad.
That said, I've got bronchitis and I've had it about 2 weeks. I'm on medication and under the doctor.

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Misc.

The new, to us, Downton Abbey series tonight on the telly in the US.

I got an ad on my computer, today, from Cunard saying they are taking reservations on the QM2. The fare is $999, I think, one way. No change from the last offering.

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Monique,
Well that will be something for me to look forward to, meeting you and your hubby Daniel, I can just imagine us all at that Irish Pub having a great time and Daniel playing his concertina, is he going to bring it with him on your next rec trip? its kind of a bulky instrument isn't it and heavy, Im just picturing you both going through the security scanner at the airport and all of a sudden it moves in the suitcase and plays a tune
I think you may be thinking of an accordion? A concertina, also known as a squeeze box, is much smaller. Not sure that he will travel with it though, as it is quite valuable.

Well I have now reached Jan 2012 in the Moving Back Part II forum! And I haven't skipped a post. Taken me a few months to get there going from all the way at the beginning of Part I

So I am at the part (kind of like a soap, innit?) where Beedubya is just about to start her job as a house manager, and I am thinking, that sounds like a job I would like, and no rent to boot. Hubby would be retired, but I couldn't until age 66, thanks to the new rules...and I'm only 54 now

So not sure how it went, or if she posts on here anymore, but do you have such places down your way that you know of? Must start to do some investigating.

Wishing you and your Mum a very happy and healthy new year, and look forward to meeting in person.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
If timing works out we would be glad to come over to Norwich to meet up.
John
John, how very kind of you! Would love to meet you and June and get some perspective about living in Norfolk. Not familiar with the region at all. London gal for the most part, with 3 years in boarding school outside of Totnes, Devon.

Daniel quite fancies us in Cambridge, but I told him not likely unless he would be happy to give up a roof over his head and food on the table.

Since Doctor Who obsessed DD is coming with us, we must make the obligatory trip to Cardiff. We will plan Norfolk on the way there or back. Looks like we will spend more time in trains than on land.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Happy New Year everyone! (Ill be 47 in three weeks so can I join??)

Just 10/11 weeks till i return....what a year its going to be! xx

All the best to you all!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

All the best to you all!
Sure! I was 47 when I joined I think (or 48?) and no one threw me out.

This year I'll hit the big 50 which is a little distressing ... but at least I'll be doing it in Yorkshire!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you may be thinking of an accordion? A concertina, also known as a squeeze box, is much smaller. Not sure that he will travel with it though, as it is quite valuable.

Well I have now reached Jan 2012 in the Moving Back Part II forum! And I haven't skipped a post. Taken me a few months to get there going from all the way at the beginning of Part I

So I am at the part (kind of like a soap, innit?) where Beedubya is just about to start her job as a house manager, and I am thinking, that sounds like a job I would like, and no rent to boot. Hubby would be retired, but I couldn't until age 66, thanks to the new rules...and I'm only 54 now

So not sure how it went, or if she posts on here anymore, but do you have such places down your way that you know of? Must start to do some investigating.

Wishing you and your Mum a very happy and healthy new year, and look forward to meeting in person.
House manager ---- well I would think that would be possible here ----- lots of big hotels on the sea front etc, and lots of high rise apartment complexes, mostly council owned,
Im absolutely proud of you for reading all those thousands of posts, your really determined arent you and we all on here should be very happy that you are showing so much interest in all our little non fictional stories
Acordion ----- yes your right that was what I had in mind, now a concertina is same princible isn't it ---- without the keys ---- and much smaller and lighter I think
Mum is feeling much better thank you Monique and everyone else too, she still has the same pain in lungs but that will probably take quite some time to ease off, if at all, but she is coping with it very well,
Take care,
Rodney
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

All the best to you all!
Welcome youngster
I was 64 when I joined this thread, Im 68 this year, and Don is 82, but there are many on this thread who are in there early 50's and some joined a few years before they reached 50 ---- just like you, ---- no problemo
What makes you interesting is that you say you only have 11 weeks before you come home, we get so excited for people like you, and we give you all our support, and feel free to ask us any questions and advice on anything at all, we are good at that,
You will get help from people who are still not home yet ---- and also from all the people who have already made that big leap to the other side of the pond, im one of em
If you dont mind ----- where are you living now? and how long you lived there for? please tell us a little about you and what brought you to this big decision to come home?
Warning ----- we are a very nosy lot on hear you know just joking
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.