Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I am getting a bit concerned about matters in the UK. I have been doing a lot of reading on different sites. What is going on with the immigration over there? I have been reading about complaints from the UK citizens because some of the animals killed for meat are not stunned before they are killed (halal meat!) - and they should indeed be outraged at this! I never thought I would see the day when Britain would do such a thing.

Are there really so many immigrants over there that "our" British laws are being changed to accommodate them to the extent that it is destroying the British way of life? In my opinion, this is just not right! What other laws have changed because of all these immigrants?

I have also read about immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens.

I went to university in Scotland with students from many other countries. They were my friends and I accepted them gladly. But if they want to stay in "my" country, then they adhere to UK laws. UK laws should not change to accommodate immigrants." If it destroys the British way of life, our culture, then surely some measures to prevent immigration, or at least so much of it, should be put in place. In other words, if they don't like the UK and living a British way of life, then they should perhaps consider leaving.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 11th 2013 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Thanks dunroving,

Good post IF1, I love reading peoples updates on moving home, Ive written many posts on my moving home in the past 2 years, I think it really does help the folk that have not yet made the leap over the pond.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Army twang Roders.
Young. ********
Ohhhhhhhhhhh thanks bluenose ----- didn't know ----- never been in the Army, never liked taking orders, ------ I was more like the rebel James Dean type when I was young
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ohhhhhhhhhhh thanks bluenose ----- didn't know ----- never been in the Army, never liked taking orders, ------ I was more like the rebel James Dean type when I was young
Trust me young Rodney, you would have learnt, either the hard way or any other.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Cheers, is this the cost of renewing a U.S. passport for an adult?
No. It is the cost to renew a British passport here in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
No. It is the cost to renew a British passport here in the UK.
Thank you, Cheers

Last edited by windsong; Feb 11th 2013 at 11:09 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting a bit concerned about matters in the UK. I have been doing a lot of reading on different sites. What is going on with the immigration over there? I have been reading about complaints from the UK citizens because some of the animals killed for meat are not stunned before they are killed (halal meat!) - and they should indeed be outraged at this! I never thought I would see the day when Britain would do such a thing.

Are there really so many immigrants over there that "our" British laws are being changed to accommodate them to the extent that it is destroying the British way of life? In my opinion, this is just not right! What other laws have changed because of all these immigrants?

I have also read about immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens.

I went to university in Scotland with students from many other countries. They were my friends and I accepted them gladly. But if they want to stay in "my" country, then they adhere to UK laws. UK laws should not change to accommodate immigrants." If it destroys the British way of life, our culture, then surely some measures to prevent immigration, or at least so much of it, should be put in place. In other words, if they don't like the UK and living a British way of life, then they should perhaps consider leaving.
Oh ho!

This is a touchy subject with some people. Look at the mess here in the US.
I forget how long you have been away from the UK but it is my impression that some cities in the UK you would be the foreigner.
I'm sure you would find the so called foreigners very nice as you mentioned the students you met in school in Scotland. They are hard working and law abiding with a few exceptions. It is the ones who are British and haven't had a good up bringing that you have to watch out for. For example just look at the number of policemen who have lost their lives while on duty and off duty recently. Shocking.
Windsong, I'm sure we are on the same page in our views but in the US and UK and in the rest of the world the makeup of the population is changing.
Think of the Carabbean and the South Pacific and how things have changed for them with the yuppies moving in from Germany, the UK and the US and Canada.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SPROG? Whats it mean?
I looked it up on Google and I'm still not sure I know what the meaning is.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh ho!

This is a touchy subject with some people. Look at the mess here in the US.
I forget how long you have been away from the UK but it is my impression that some cities in the UK you would be the foreigner.
I'm sure you would find the so called foreigners very nice as you mentioned the students you met in school in Scotland. They are hard working and law abiding with a few exceptions. It is the ones who are British and haven't had a good up bringing that you have to watch out for. For example just look at the number of policemen who have lost their lives while on duty and off duty recently. Shocking.
Windsong, I'm sure we are on the same page in our views but in the US and UK and in the rest of the world the makeup of the population is changing.
Think of the Carabbean and the South Pacific and how things have changed for them with the yuppies moving in from Germany, the UK and the US and Canada.
Yes, I understand what you are saying, Cheers. This animal/meat issue made me see red.

You are right. I was thinking about the USA after I wrote my post. Heaven forbid the UK should become the same, although I see many areas where it is moving in that direction - and many other countries, too. Here comes the global, multinational economies.

In one post I read, someone suggested the UK become what Switzerland is or used to be. Not a bad idea. It has also made me question what Scotland would do about immigration if Scotland ever became a separate country (although that is not my personal choice).

I didn't think about the problem being with the children/young adults of the immigrants but, of course, they are the ones who would be the problem because many of them were probably born in the UK and so it is now their country, too, and they practice what they have been taught by their parents and in their own "religious venues". I wish I could think of a good solution for this mess. Ohh, how I wish the people who pass these laws had thought out all of this much more clearly beforehand!!

Maybe, too, it is time the UK reverted to being an independent country, separate from the EU. I am darned if we should lose control over the laws of our own country.

Of course, no matter what is happening over there, it won't change my decision to return. It is always going to be better than the USA and, above all, it's home.

It would grieve me greatly to see the British culture disappear.

PS: I forgot to mention, per your comment, Cheers, that I have been away 30 years. I never wanted to come to the USA and always regretted it. At the time I had little choice in the matter.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 11th 2013 at 11:27 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I looked it up on Google and I'm still not sure I know what the meaning is.
Sprog is a slang term for a child.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
My Irish neighbour tells me that it means a child and is short for "sprung from a bog". Course he drinks a lot so he could be having a lend...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

SPROG? Whats it mean?
Sprog = Youngster!!! A purest compliment, Rod. Hope your Mother is on the up and up. Love to her, from us both.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Child? Wowee! Not in my reckoning. Came from my stint in the Royal Air Force, and was used to describe new entrants, but for only the first six months.

Although, when I think about the connection, I suppose it could be!

Last edited by dontheturner; Feb 12th 2013 at 6:43 am.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I understand what you are saying, Cheers. This animal/meat issue made me see red.

You are right. I was thinking about the USA after I wrote my post. Heaven forbid the UK should become the same, although I see many areas where it is moving in that direction - and many other countries, too. Here comes the global, multinational economies.

In one post I read, someone suggested the UK become what Switzerland is or used to be. Not a bad idea. It has also made me question what Scotland would do about immigration if Scotland ever became a separate country (although that is not my personal choice).

I didn't think about the problem being with the children/young adults of the immigrants but, of course, they are the ones who would be the problem because many of them were probably born in the UK and so it is now their country, too, and they practice what they have been taught by their parents and in their own "religious venues". I wish I could think of a good solution for this mess. Ohh, how I wish the people who pass these laws had thought out all of this much more clearly beforehand!!

Maybe, too, it is time the UK reverted to being an independent country, separate from the EU. I am darned if we should lose control over the laws of our own country.

Of course, no matter what is happening over there, it won't change my decision to return. It is always going to be better than the USA and, above all, it's home.

It would grieve me greatly to see the British culture disappear.

PS: I forgot to mention, per your comment, Cheers, that I have been away 30 years. I never wanted to come to the USA and always regretted it. At the time I had little choice in the matter.
windsong if you keep on taking all this stuff so seriously you will have a heart attack, life is so short as it is, listen when we are all gone life and the world will still continue on whatever path it decides to take, nothing you or I can do about it,
The way I look at it all is as long as we can stop North Korea starting the third world war then maybe we will all have a chance, but all the time China & Russia continue to suppy them with whatever they need ----- I cant see how we can stop them really,
Barclays is in trouble, there laying off 4,000 more people, --- said today that in 2012 they only made £600 million ------ but in contrast in 2011 they made £6 billion in profits, whats going on here?
I saw the British film awards the other day on tetellynd hohonestlyt looked like the American acacademywards ---- without all the glamour, I think Britain had a couple of films, and the rest came from U.S. the whole of the royal opera house was filled with mostly American superstars ---- with a little sprinkle of British stars, Hmmmm it was quite strange to watch, they did say that last year Britain did invest only a third of there usual amount of pounds in movie making,
the British music awards are coming up next, I wonder how many actual awards will be given to British artists, and will America also dominate that industry too?
Well keep safe and all of you who are still in your adopted countries take a deep breath of relief!!!! ----- at least your not eating horse meat when you think your eating cows beef ------ or are you? ----- how would anyone know?

Oh yes its alright her though cause the label says 100% British Beef ---- so thats what it is right? yeah right
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:43 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

windsong if you keep on taking all this stuff so seriously you will have a heart attack, life is so short as it is, listen when we are all gone life and the world will still continue on whatever path it decides to take, nothing you or I can do about it,
The way I look at it all is as long as we can stop North Korea starting the third world war then maybe we will all have a chance, but all the time China & Russia continue to suppy them with whatever they need ----- I cant see how we can stop them really,
Barclays is in trouble, there laying off 4,000 more people, --- said today that in 2012 they only made £600 million ------ but in contrast in 2011 they made £6 billion in profits, whats going on here?
I saw the British film awards the other day on tetellynd hohonestlyt looked like the American acacademywards ---- without all the glamour, I think Britain had a couple of films, and the rest came from U.S. the whole of the royal opera house was filled with mostly American superstars ---- with a little sprinkle of British stars, Hmmmm it was quite strange to watch, they did say that last year Britain did invest only a third of there usual amount of pounds in movie making,
the British music awards are coming up next, I wonder how many actual awards will be given to British artists, and will America also dominate that industry too?
Well keep safe and all of you who are still in your adopted countries take a deep breath of relief!!!! ----- at least your not eating horse meat when you think your eating cows beef ------ or are you? ----- how would anyone know?

Oh yes its alright her though cause the label says 100% British Beef ---- so thats what it is right? yeah right
Rodney,

After I finished watching a recorded programme, the TV went to the awards show so I saw a little bit of it before heading to bed. I was struck at how many Americans were presenting and felt the whole thing was very Hollywood, so not to my taste at all.

I was chatting with the village butcher (one of my fellow Ugly Sisters), the other day and he was saying that sales of mince have shot up since the horsemeat story broke. I haven't had too many ready meals since being back, except for a couple from M&S, (love their Mousakka) and the homemade meals available from the butcher. If anything, I hope this situation will be good for the smaller businesses like the local butcher etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.