Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
Some have mentioned about foreigners in the UK and last night on NBC they had a long segment on Islamic Sharia Law that is practiced in the UK. They said it would become more widespread. What do you think?

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/201...Great-Britain/
"Sharia courts operate outside of British common law. Their defenders say the courts are legal under a 1996 Arbitration Act that allows people to settle differences through methods of their own choosing."

I suspect that implicit in that act is that ALL sides of the dispute must agree, freely and in an informed manner, to such arbitration.

And more importantly, how can that possibly override basic human rights and criminal law?

I can't believe it's 2013 and we STILL have all this discrimination and oppression.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
"Sharia courts operate outside of British common law. Their defenders say the courts are legal under a 1996 Arbitration Act that allows people to settle differences through methods of their own choosing."

I suspect that implicit in that act is that ALL sides of the dispute must agree, freely and in an informed manner, to such arbitration.

And more importantly, how can that possibly override basic human rights and criminal law?

I can't believe it's 2013 and we STILL have all this discrimination and oppression.
I agree. It is a shame people have their bodies mutilated for breaking the law in 2013.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Folks should worry! - I married a ''foreigner'', and I love her to bits.. Unfortunately my one lot of neighbours, now look the other way when they see either of us outside!
I'm very sorry to hear that Don. I agree with cheers though - it's their loss.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
So anyway they all said that they do prefer Romanian workers, they never complain about anything and they show up to work, and thats what they do!!!
You know I never heard of that term (unsociable hours) until I came back to England, never heard of it in America!!!!
So true! You're expected to work unsociable hours in America
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It is a shame people have their bodies mutilated for breaking the law in 2013.
It's those bits of Sharia law that are still illegal in the UK, it's only civil disputes, not criminal ones that are allowed to be judged.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Sally can you imagine if someone in America went to a job interview and the interviewer said that the only shift available is graveyard shift, and say this person was on unemployment benefits, and they said Oh no I cant work those hours ----and so decline the job, me thinks that they would be taken off of benefits very quickly,
Over here they can decline the job ----- and in fact refuse to work period ever again, and still they will get there benefits ---- forever
Nanny State
But thank goodness Cameron is starting to get tough on these people, its about time!!!! apparently he is giving them three chances to except a job offer and then he will take away there benefits
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, doctors, nurses, all hospital workers, train and bus drivers, airline staff, prison employees, hotel staff...the list is endless.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Yep, doctors, nurses, all hospital workers, train and bus drivers, airline staff, prison employees, hotel staff...the list is endless.
Yes - and thank heavens they do!!! Can you imagine being admitted to the ER with an emergency only to be told that they don't have enough staff as most employees "don't want to work unsociable hours"!!! My daughter is an ER nurse - she works the "graveyard shift". She is a hard worker, very dedicated and realizes that the hours she works comes with the job. I love the UK, but some people there really get on my nerves - they have no idea what it's like to work really hard...................
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's those bits of Sharia law that are still illegal in the UK, it's only civil disputes, not criminal ones that are allowed to be judged.
This puts it bluntly but succinctly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...ords-told.html
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:29 am
Finally Home!

I wasn't any of those and I rarely saw home before 9pm. Still, I suppose making video games (what my last company did) is a vital national service

Can you imagine being admitted to the ER with an emergency only to be told that they don't have enough staff as most employees "don't want to work unsociable hours"!!!
Nurses and doctors work nights here too!! But an hourly-paid accountant isn't expected to work an extra hour here and an extra Saturday there without any pay. That's the big difference.

I think the British way of approaching work is far healthier than the American way, although it does have its drawbacks. My friends all work hard during work hours (I feel I must defend them as this thread has turned into 'bash the lazy Brits'!) but they're not slaves to their jobs.

I'm walking proof of the benefits of this way of life. I run my own business, so my hours are really up to me. Somehow, when I lived in America I never had time for holidays, worked every weekend, and often worked late nights too. Now I'm back and tuning in to the British culture, I stop at 6pm without fail, rarely work on the weekends, and have already had two holidays (and now I'm planning a long weekend away). I'm happier and healthier as a result and guess what - my sales are even better than before. Perhaps because I have more enthusiasm and energy? Whatever the reason, I have a more balanced life now and that can only be a good thing.

I didn't even realize I was throwing my life away because of work until I got back here. I'm eternally grateful to the people here who woke me up and made me see how stupid it all was.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 4th 2013 at 8:46 am.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

As an employee I'd rather work in the UK. As an employer I'd rather work in the US. Maybe there's a need to find some middle ground. ( same with health care ).
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:09 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget it is Shrove Tuesday on the 12th of February.

I love those pancakes (crepes)
I love pancake day! Yum.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In the days of full employment (ie figure around 2% unemployed), the method at the Labour Exchange was to offer people jobs. If they turned down 3 offers they could be debarred from benefit. Not sure that is easy these days with so few jobs on offer.

I saw the interview on Tv with the married couple who were not interested in anything that paid leass than £18,00 a year. Still trying to get my head round that one !
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I love pancake day! Yum.
I jumped the gun and ate pancakes with icecream yesterday

First time I've made them since I was in Oz.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In the days of full employment (ie figure around 2% unemployed), the method at the Labour Exchange was to offer people jobs. If they turned down 3 offers they could be debarred from benefit. Not sure that is easy these days with so few jobs on offer.
The way of tallying this may have changed, but when I worked in employment services it was 5%. That includes all people of working age, so includes those pretty well unemployable due to severe mental and physical problems.

To be below 5% was considered a big problem because there would be many vacancies that were impossible to fill. 5-6% was theoretically the sweet spot where there were jobs for everyone able to work and no economic problems due to unfilled jobs.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.