Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
One of the few things I don't like about England is the xenophobia about immigrants. As someone who emigrated myself, I resent the closed attitude of so many here and the crap printed in the papers (like the Daily Express piece someone posted above). My own family moan on about Romanians and I just leave the room when it starts.
Folks should worry! - I married a ''foreigner'', and I love her to bits.. Unfortunately my one lot of neighbours, now look the other way when they see either of us outside!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Folks should worry! - I married a ''foreigner'', and I love her to bits.. Unfortunately my one lot of neighbours, now look the other way when they see either of us outside!
Their loss
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:35 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Trotty glad you have made a decision. What can you tell us about the new house?

I'm a little stressed in making plans for going to the UK this summer. Just the booking for 4 cottages is a strain. My DW is doing all the choices and I'm taking care of the booking.

I think you are doing the right thing for you. Taking care of your health is number one.

Cheers
Four cottages! Are you inviting all of us?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mallory
Four cottages! Are you inviting all of us?

I think 4cottages is the name of the company that hires out accomadation..I THINK !!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

How about 1 cottage for each week. Four weeks = four cottages.

We just got the tickets for Downton Abbey this morning. The tickets sell out fast.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't forget it is Shrove Tuesday on the 12th of February.

I love those pancakes (crepes)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few things I don't like about England is the xenophobia about immigrants. As someone who emigrated myself, I resent the closed attitude of so many here and the crap printed in the papers (like the Daily Express piece someone posted above). My own family moan on about Romanians and I just leave the room when it starts.
Ugh, I'm with you, have the same problem especially with one family member. I find it REALLY offensive, comments I wouldn't even repeat as quotes, but their minds are so closed there is no point trying to change them. I just end up getting upset so like you I just get out as fast as possible.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Don't forget it is Shrove Tuesday on the 12th of February.

I love those pancakes (crepes)
Mmm crepes... I like them french style, paper thin, fresh from the griddle and filled with something gorgeous like gooey cheese
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks Mallory, I know you are right, and of course I have thought of all these eventualities about injury, death, etc........Speaking of which, I believe that if I were a widow, if not a citizen I'd miss out on one of the survivor's benefits or something....yet another reason to become USC.

I don't know, I feel so torn about the whole thing, I was brought up with such a strong respect for the truth that I find it hard to say those words about renouncing allegiance when I don't mean them.

And yet practically speaking it's a good idea...

tina
You need to look at the N-400 instructions - I believe the 5-year 'eligibility to naturalize clock' resets if you've been out of the country for a a while (I'm not sure if it's 6 months or 12).
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dontheturner.....They don't know what they are missing put it down to their ignorance. I hope your beautiful wife realizes that we are not all like that. Just the idiots....

Jasper...Thankyou I am still a little sad I dont think that will ever change but I will just do what I have always done one day at a time......

J.JsOH..That road can have a lot of bumps and turns in it but its how you travel it that counts and I am trying to glide over the bumps

lf1..If I have helped guide one person home or made someone reconsider the move abroad before really thinking about then I will be happy. We have all come along way on here.

Cheers... I love my pancakes with lemon juice and sugar I cant wait to make them. My Mother made the best. I can see them now with a dish of lemons on the table and caster sugar........
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

mummy in the foothills.......Its funny but I was fine till I had to tell my sister that I was not coming home I had a hard time not bursting into tears I did not want to upset her. I feel like a failure at times but I know for now its the right thing to do. I know that I have let some down, I have had friends sending me brochures and papers so I could look and houses and I feel so bad. I was just so close. The hardest will be taking our belongings out of international storage and today I found the file with all the information for my OH visa. I could not bring myself to chuck it so I just filed it.

Between two worlds......Yes we dont live far from Portsmouth. In fact I was in the centre tonight. We live in North Hampton its just down the road. I went to an art show with a friend I met at the cancer art class. If nothing else the awful decease opened up new avenues to me. We now meet at one of the girls homes once a week for our own art class. Sad to say most of them are non-curable. But you wouldnt know it. So brave. You just carry on. One is Greek one is German one is from Japan and another is an American and off course me I am English right to my bones.. No oath can change that.

curlytops... Thankyou for your kind wishes. I have met such great people on here some have become good friends. There are more that one who battles with the difficulties of going home its not always so easy as most of us know and some of those who get home but leave family behind are always pulled in two directions..
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty, you can still visit your sister, if your Dh isn't up for it, then maybe he can take a break alone or at your daughters while you visit.
It is sad that you looked forward to it so much, but you have to do what is right for you and yours, timing is everything and it's not right at the moment for you.
Maybe plan an annual trip gives you something to look forward to and a chance to see your sister.
I bet you'll be glad to unpack the boxes and see all the things you have around you again.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=trottytrue;10520246]dontheturner.....They don't know what they are missing put it down to their ignorance. I hope your beautiful wife realizes that we are not all like that. Just the idiots....
QUOTE]

Hi again Avril, I am so sad, that I may not meet you - but hey, you are remaining so cheerful.- So good luck, and we are all gunning for you.
All these ignorant ones, just make Tippawan laugh - she thinks it so funny.
The very nature of Thai people (ladies in particular) is, they are so ''non-confrontational'' they never argue or fall out with you.

The result is, you are just wasting your breath, in trying! That is why, they are so loveable.

Take Care. Don
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday one of the segments on the Jeremy Vine show on BBC Radio 2 was they were discussing Romanian workers in the U.K. a lot of employers called in, they were Farmers, Factory owners, etc etc and they said that most of there work force were Rumanians, they said that the majority are such hard workers and that they will work any hours, the farmers said that sometimes we work 8 hours a day but sometimes we have to work 12 hours or more, they said that most English people are not prepared to work unsociable hours, and most dont want to do that kind of work period,

and they all said that they do put an ad in the paper when they are hiring and english people do apply and get the Job ---- but most only last a day or two and find the work is just too hard for them, or they dont like the hours,
and some showed up for the interview thinking the Job was just part time, and when the were told it is full time they said that they will not work over 16 hours a week otherwise they will loose there government benefits

Absolutely Unbelievable!!! but thats the kind of mentality that breeds in a lot of people in the U.K. unfortunately one really cant expect much else, as most of these British people have been living in a Nanny State there whole lives,

So anyway they all said that they do prefer Romanian workers, they never complain about anything and they show up to work, and thats what they do!!!
You know I never heard of that term (unsociable hours) until I came back to England, never heard of it in America!!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some have mentioned about foreigners in the UK and last night on NBC they had a long segment on Islamic Sharia Law that is practiced in the UK. They said it would become more widespread. What do you think?

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/201...Great-Britain/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.