Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving
Was it a 70-mile walk? 70 miles = 3,500 kcals = caloric content of 1lb of body fat.
YIKES!!! Before I head into a deep depression, can you come up with a cheery stat to counter this one. Oh never mind, just pass the Hobnobs
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
YIKES!!! Before I head into a deep depression, can you come up with a cheery stat to counter this one. Oh never mind, just pass the Hobnobs

I do three hours a week of intense cardio to burn my junk food calories. That gives me about 2,000 calories of biscuits I can eat a week without gaining weight
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:16 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I do three hours a week of intense cardio to burn my junk food calories. That gives me about 2,000 calories of biscuits I can eat a week without gaining weight
I hope you are keeping yourself well hydrated during that cardio activity. Don't forget to drink lots of liquids, I think a nice Chianti would fit the bill
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I hope you are keeping yourself well hydrated during that cardio activity. Don't forget to drink lots of liquids, I think a nice Chianti would fit the bill
Lots of water, Chianti would take away some of my biscuit calories. Not really! But I don't drink it brings on a migraine and so not worth it to me.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Mommy, any snow yet? We may get some Saturday. The sky is black right now so we should get some rain.

Just did another trip to Walmart for some more biscuits. I also picked up our first eggnog for the season. I saw some fruit cake but I passed on that for now.

Cheers
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Black clouds and wind, no snow. We are usually just below the snow line, it's supposed to be down to 2500 feet tonight. I got the Wood stove burning away nicely.
The rain just started as I was typing!
Old Nov 9th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Just read that apparently well-known actor Bill Tarmey (aka Jack Duckworth) of Coronation St. fame died this morning in Tenerife, aged 71. Very sad, we've lost a wonderful actor and a great voice. R.I.P. Jack, we'll miss you!
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Just read that apparently well-known actor Bill Tarmey (aka Jack Duckworth) of Coronation St. fame died this morning in Tenerife, aged 71. Very sad, we've lost a wonderful actor and a great voice. R.I.P. Jack, we'll miss you!
So tell us more about Scarborough and your house.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Aw, very sad. He played a great character.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

That is sad. I liked Jack and Vera.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I can't wait!
Send boat selling vibes my way, till that monstrosity is gone we are stuck! and can't sell the house.
I'm selling stuff from the yard... sold my small boat, the irrigation pipe, tin roofing, plywood and lumber, windows (all for projects that are not going to happen ). I have started selling some of the inside stuff - small pieces of furniture to create more space, etc. I am setting a goal of listing my house in January but have a long way to go yet.

Good luck with the boat!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

To everyone in U.S.and Canada that have been disparately trying to sell there house for years and years, what amazes me about the property market here in U.K. is when the banking and mortgage collapse happened in 2008, while in America the property values seriously started to plummet, and havent stopped yet, where some parts of the country like Nevada have lost more then 2 thirds of there value, ---- and in the U.K house prices did indeed fall, but nothing really serious, and also houses seem to sell fast here too,
Im only going on what I can see in my city Portsmouth, and I cant see how it can be that much different over the rest of the country,
my next door neighbour put his 80 year old 3 bedroom terraced house up for sale 3 weeks ago for £185,000 and two days ago sold it for his full asking price, and just down the road another house a semi detached terraced house sold for £195,000 also full asking price, his was on the market for 2 months before sold,
My Mothers 3 bedroom terraced house built in the early 1930,s value topped at £200,000 in 2007, a couple of years ago it was worth £165k and now £185k, so the houses seem to be going up again over here, and all around my city I see houses put a sale sign outside and within a short time like weeks or months you pass by the same house and a sold sign is there, so you see what I mean, in my experience the U.K. property market has not suffered much at all, not like the U.S. market,

Last edited by jasper123; Nov 12th 2012 at 3:07 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
To everyone in U.S.and Canada that have been disparately trying to sell there house for years and years, what amazes me about the property market here in U.K. is when the banking and mortgage collapse happened in 2008, while in America the property values seriously started to plummet, and havent stopped yet, where some parts of the country like Nevada have lost more then 2 thirds of there value, ---- and in the U.K house prices did indeed fall, but nothing really serious, and also houses seem to sell fast here too,
Im only going on what I can see in my city Portsmouth, and I cant see how it can be that much different over the rest of the country,
my next door neighbour put his 80 year old 3 bedroom terraced house up for sale 3 weeks ago for £185,000 and two days ago sold it for his full asking price, and just down the road another house a semi detached terraced house sold for £195,000 also full asking price, his was on the market for 2 months before sold,
My Mothers 3 bedroom terraced house built in the early 1930,s value topped at £200,000 in 2007, a couple of years ago it was worth £165k and now £185k, so the houses seem to be going up again over here, and all around my city I see houses put a sale sign outside and within a short time like weeks or months you pass by the same house and a sold sign is there, so you see what I mean, in my experience the U.K. property market has not suffered much at all, not like the U.S. market,
Hi M8 - Same as your observations , here in Shropshire. Hope you and Mother, are both well. Don
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

The interest rate is being kept at about 0.5% - therefore people with interest only loans are paying almost nothing in mortgage payments. This has been going on for almost 5 years. (With savers paying the price). Eventually, interest rates will have to go up - then you will see many people struggling to make their suddenly big mortgage payments.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...bad-yours.html
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
The interest rate is being kept at about 0.5% - therefore people with interest only loans are paying almost nothing in mortgage payments. This has been going on for almost 5 years. (With savers paying the price). Eventually, interest rates will have to go up - then you will see many people struggling to make their suddenly big mortgage payments.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...bad-yours.html
I don't think they can afford to raise interest rates by much for a few years yet, or the economy will go into meltdown because people won't be able to buy anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.