Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 20th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I just got up and its only 6am+. I was having a nightmare. I wont go into it but I remember I was running late and I parked my car and then when I needed to find it I couldn't remember where I parked it. I looked and looked and looked. I also at some point gave my American Express card to a gas station attendant and his power was down so to cut a long story short he kept my card and he went home and we don't know what he did with my card.
Some times my DW will suggest why I have these nightmares and she suggest it is related to something that happened the previous day. Not in this case though. Nothing related. I think I have them because of the various medications I'm taking.
OK for some of you who attend church/Sunday School or did in the past....Why did they have dreams that were recorded in the bible and they all have interpretations.
End of that.

Birds. They use to call girls in England 'birds' Maybe that ran its course. End of that.

When I just read your post my reaction is I didn't look for any birds, then it hit me that although that's usually the case but on this trip I spent a lot of time looking at birds!
To explain. There was a nest outside my daughters window and it had three baby birds in it that had just been hatched on the day we got there. We could see them from about 4 feet away. We saw them being fed by their parents and then after about 5 days we saw them them leave the nest and take flight. They didn't go far initially but they learn fast.
I have never been that interested in birds in the past but I do like them.
Yes they have birds in Las Vegas and I think their feathers insulate them from the heat.
I envy you on your English Sunday roast and as for me we have started, in the last few days, of having sandwiches for our evening meal. I haven't lost any weight to speak of yet.
We have been getting outside before 8am and working in the garden with my new hedge trimmer. All of the neighbors have gardeners who take care of things but I get satisfaction from doing the job myself.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Bea that was a chance in a life time to get to see all that pageantry. You are a lucky sod!
I generally support royalty but I couldn't help thinking of the cost of this parade especially with all the cuts going on and some of the cuts will effect older people. I don't know if this is true.

Do you keep in contact with DDL/Denise?

I think she said she was going to move again but that was sometime ago.
They live and work in the Windsor area and the flat that they rented seemed super. I'm sorry we continually offended her and she quit. She had good posts.

We had two Denises so I hope I've got the right one. She was an American married to a Brit.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2012, 2:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Bea that was a chance in a life time to get to see all that pageantry. You are a lucky sod!
I generally support royalty but I couldn't help thinking of the cost of this parade especially with all the cuts going on and some of the cuts will effect older people. I don't know if this is true.

Do you keep in contact with DDL/Denise?

I think she said she was going to move again but that was sometime ago.
They live and work in the Windsor area and the flat that they rented seemed super. I'm sorry we continually offended her and she quit. She had good posts.

We had two Denises so I hope I've got the right one. She was an American married to a Brit.

Cheers
Yes I know I am a lucky sod and believe me I am sooo grateful.

Yes Cheers I am still in touch with both Denise's on Facebook. Denise (Charleygirl) wrote to me that Denise (DDL) was at Windsor but it was too late as I hadn't made contact beforehand and there were 20,000 people there and I had no way of contacting her!!

Here are my pics, not great but the best I could do as I am no Islandwoman photographer more of a snapper plus the battery wasn't charged.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dc69f8a2f1

Last edited by Beedubya; May 20th 2012 at 2:51 pm.
Old May 20th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I know I am a lucky sod and believe me I am sooo grateful.

Yes Cheers I am still in touch with both Denise's on Facebook. Denise (Charleygirl) wrote to me that Denise (DDL) was at Windsor but it was too late as I hadn't made contact beforehand and there were 20,000 people there and I had no way of contacting her!!

Here are my pics, not great but the best I could do as I am no Islandwoman photographer more of a snapper plus the battery wasn't charged.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dc69f8a2f1
Good job!

Your pictures were better than the photos in the national press (little flattery here)

Some of the military seem like they need more practice at marching but marching maybe a thing of the past, if so, I understand..

Why do they have to walk and she gets to ride in a big flashy motor car?

Cheers
Old May 20th 2012, 9:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good job!

Your pictures were better than the photos in the national press (little flattery here)

Some of the military seem like they need more practice at marching but marching maybe a thing of the past, if so, I understand..

Why do they have to walk and she gets to ride in a big flashy motor car?

Cheers
Cos she is da Queen!!
Old May 20th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks cheers for clearing up the mystery of the birds in Vegas!!!!
I remember once in the 1980's on one of my infrequent vacations home I took my Son and Daughter to London on the train and there we were at Trafalgar Square all of us with dozens of seagulls perched on our shoulders and heads with literally hundreds of other birds on the ground beneath us, we took pictures, they are my pride and Joy, the Pics and my Kids that is!!!!!

By the way the Sunday roast turned out absolutely fantastic!!!!! Wow the taste was unbelievably great, and the meat was cooked to perfection in the croc pot, I left it on the lowest setting for four & half hours,
Next week Im going to slow cook a chicken in the same way
Old May 20th 2012, 10:38 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

It is almost dinner time here and I have just read your post about the lovely dinner you made and it is making me hungry. Glad it turned out well. I think you could give Gordon Ramsey a run for his money. Once I am back I will need to get the recipe from you and give it a try.

Keep us updated on next Sunday's lunch.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks cheers for clearing up the mystery of the birds in Vegas!!!!
I remember once in the 1980's on one of my infrequent vacations home I took my Son and Daughter to London on the train and there we were at Trafalgar Square all of us with dozens of seagulls perched on our shoulders and heads with literally hundreds of other birds on the ground beneath us, we took pictures, they are my pride and Joy, the Pics and my Kids that is!!!!!
Are you sure they aren't pigeons??
Old May 21st 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope they were pigeons!
Old May 21st 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Yes Barb of course they were hundreds of pigeons not seagulls, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, Oh silly me Just a senior moment I must have been having, funny how those senior moments seem to be more frequent these days
Old May 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just listening to the Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2 and his first item of the day is about Robin Gibb. What a talent he and his brothers were/are.
From the comments being made on the radio it sounds as though he was a lovely person and didn't let success go to his head.
A sad loss.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sally I hope you get to ride on those restored steam trains on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

http://www.nymr.co.uk/
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Strange you should bring that up..

I was watching a clip today from the BBC on the preparations by the military for the Queens Jubilee which was held today at Windsor. The officer, Major Rolf Kurth, who was explaining the preparations had an accent that to me said he was Irish and I couldn't help think how close it was to an American accent in fact I think he could have passed as an American.

Here is the clip. Maybe he is Scottish???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18112625

Cheers
Yes, I agree with Scottish...way back when......
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sally I hope you get to ride on those restored steam trains on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

http://www.nymr.co.uk/
Last time I was up there I was on the last service of the day, and the driver said he normally drove to the ststion where they keep the carriages, and then back to where the loco is shedded, as there were only three people on the train, would we like to ride in the engine cab so he didn't have to amke two journeys, naturally we said 'on your bike. we're not going to ride in a smelly smokey steam engine cab ' I was great fun riding the engine cab, watching them stoking the fire. would have loved to have been a train driver (steam trains only)
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Thank you very much Sally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.