British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dunroving Nov 6th 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 10979461)
I love the NHS. The only problem is, that everyone else does too, even the tourists.

I think the NHS has worse problems than NHS tourists, TBH. They are a speck in the ocean compared to the increasing burden of "legitimate" patients who don't take personal responsibility for maintaining their own health.

Bud the Wiser Nov 6th 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10979468)
I think the NHS has worse problems than NHS tourists, TBH. They are a speck in the ocean compared to the increasing burden of "legitimate" patients who don't take personal responsibility for maintaining their own health.

The aging population is perhaps going to be a bigger strain on the NHS. A victim of its own success and a credit to advanced medical techniques and medication.

HighCaper Nov 6th 2013 6:26 pm

To some degree I agree with you. However I believe that someone who contributes to the system or simply by birthright has an entitlement to that public service. Rather than someone who's heard how great the British NHS is and booked a flight from a far off place to take advantage of a service they've never contributed a cent towards.

dunroving Nov 6th 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 10979493)
To some degree I agree with you. However I believe that someone who contributes to the system or simply by birthright has an entitlement to that public service. Rather than someone who's heard how great the British NHS is and booked a flight from a far off place to take advantage of a service they've never contributed a cent towards.

Some of the worst NHS tourists were born in the UK!

dunroving Nov 6th 2013 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10979483)
The aging population is perhaps going to be a bigger strain on the NHS. A victim of its own success and a credit to advanced medical techniques and medication.

Yes, actually, this compounds the lifestyle issue. Ironically, advancements in medical science are allowing us to live longer in spite of our bad habits.

Either way, the tourists pose nowhere near the economic strain of the many "entitled" patients who need constant expensive medical care.

On "999 What's your emergency" last night, there was this lovely 97-year old woman who had tripped and banged her chin. She was full of life and very sprightly, but when the ambulance crew suggested she'd make it to 107 she declared words to the effect of, "Please no. I don't want anyone pumping me full of stuff and jumping up and down on my chest. Let me go peacefully, in my own bed, with my favourite music playing, a pill in one hand and a glass of whiskey, or a gin and tonic in the other" I hope that's how I go too - "DNR"

not2old Nov 6th 2013 6:38 pm

from the Guardian 24 Oct 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ons-nhs-health

"Medical tourism is a lucrative source of income for the NHS, according to a major new study that contradicts many of the assumptions behind the government's announcement that it will clamp down on foreigners abusing the health service.

Eighteen hospitals – those deemed most likely to be making money from overseas patients – earned £42m in 2010, according to researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and York University. Medical tourists spent an estimated £219m on hotels, restaurants, shopping and transport in the UK.

The researchers also found that more people leave the UK seeking medical treatment abroad than arrive in this country for care: about 63,000 people from the country travelled to hospitals and clinics abroad in 2010, while considerably fewer, about 52,000 people, came here"

HighCaper Nov 6th 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 10979509)
from the Guardian 24 Oct 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ons-nhs-health

"Medical tourism is a lucrative source of income for the NHS, according to a major new study that contradicts many of the assumptions behind the government's announcement that it will clamp down on foreigners abusing the health service.

Eighteen hospitals – those deemed most likely to be making money from overseas patients – earned £42m in 2010, according to researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and York University. Medical tourists spent an estimated £219m on hotels, restaurants, shopping and transport in the UK.

The researchers also found that more people leave the UK seeking medical treatment abroad than arrive in this country for care: about 63,000 people from the country travelled to hospitals and clinics abroad in 2010, while considerably fewer, about 52,000 people, came here"

What a load of nonsense ! The only reason British people would leave the UK for medical treatment is if it's cosmetic surgery or fertility treatment etc that they can't get on the NHS and is cheaper elsewhere. Thats my opinion.

not2old Nov 6th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 10979523)
What a load of nonsense ! The only reason British people would leave the UK for medical treatment is if it's cosmetic surgery or fertility treatment etc that they can't get on the NHS and is cheaper elsewhere. Thats my opinion.

I wonder if & the reason why?

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/907.aspx...CategoryID=159

mikelincs Nov 6th 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 10979523)

There are some hospitals, often in the USA, who offer experimental and cutting edge treatment for many rare diseases, especially some types, and degrees, of cancer. Many of these are not yet recognised as 'viable' treatments, so there are a number of UK patients making their way there, usually funded by charities, or the family setting up a fund.

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 7th 2013 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10979162)
Are you sure? Isn't there something referred to as the 'postcode lottery'?

Mind you I hope you're right. I'd hate to see the NHS start to go the same way as the American system.

I dont speak from personal experience, I was told about this by my cousin who is a counciller in the Notts area, he was saying a family member could sometimes get an operation quicker if they were willing to travel, he added most people dont want to leave their comfort zone...

I've heard of the postcode lottery and can only assume it means some people live in areas with better NHS care... please correct me if I'm wrong...

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 7th 2013 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10977164)
We've been discussing G.M. foods, I live near the Washington state border, right now there is an initiative on the ballot #522 to change labels on food products that have Genetically Modified contents.

The Major chemical companies don't want this, they have been running advertising saying this will increase the price of food, these companies have spent $23 million to scare Washington people with their adverts.

The people who want food labeling have spent $6 Million to spread their message, according to poles it could go either way.

Why spend $23 million in one state, I'm sure they are worried this issue would spread across the USA.

Just to let you know the chemical companies won, only 6% of the money spent on this initiative came from Washington State.

Apparently California went thru this too, The Chemical companies spent 47 Million in that election, Something tells me they are scared, why else would they be willing to spend so much money...

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 7th 2013 2:36 am

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 10979527)

Wow that brought up lots of issues Id never considered, Great Info...

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10979962)
Just to let you know the chemical companies won, only 6% of the money spent on this initiative came from Washington State.

Apparently California went thru this too, The Chemical companies spent 47 Million in that election, Something tells me they are scared, why else would they be willing to spend so much money...

Yes it got defeated here.

We had the same scaremongering ads with horrified mum looking at high prices in the supermarket :rolleyes:

mikelincs Nov 7th 2013 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10979960)
I dont speak from personal experience, I was told about this by my cousin who is a counciller in the Notts area, he was saying a family member could sometimes get an operation quicker if they were willing to travel, he added most people dont want to leave their comfort zone...

I've heard of the postcode lottery and can only assume it means some people live in areas with better NHS care... please correct me if I'm wrong...

Usually the 'postcode lottery' refers to hte way the local NHS work, some of them are happy to pay for certain new drugs, others feel the money would be better spent on more hip replacement ops, or quicker referrals for certain diseases. The probem is that some drugs do not have blanket approval, usually the expensive newer ones, and sometimes the local NHS will claim that they haven't been fully tested in clinical situations, or that the benefits from them isn't much better than the current drugs.

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 7th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10979993)
Yes it got defeated here.

We had the same scaremongering ads with horrified mum looking at high prices in the supermarket :rolleyes:

The actors they use are Crap.

People are into this now, its only a matter of time.

jasper123 Nov 7th 2013 9:36 am

One thing that has not been said here regarding operations and waiting times,
the NHS will not give anyone a knee replacement or hip replacement if they are too heavy, these people are put on an indefinite waiting list until they loose a certain amount of weight, I do speak with some experience, one of my Mum's lady friends is not too old, she is in her late 60's but is considered obeste, and to be fair she is very large, looks like I would say about 60 or 70 pounds over weight, the NHS gave her a minimum weight loss that she has to loose before she will be allowed an operation on her hip and knee, she keeps complaining and says she finds it very hard to loose any weight at all!!!!
But of course she can have the operations if she goes private and pays for it out of her own pocket!!!!

Englishmum Nov 7th 2013 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10980253)
the NHS will not give anyone a knee replacement or hip replacement if they are too heavy, these people are put on an indefinite waiting list until they loose a certain amount of weight, I do speak with some experience, one of my Mum's lady friends is not too old, she is in her late 60's but is considered obeste, and to be fair she is very large, looks like I would say about 60 or 70 pounds over weight, the NHS gave her a minimum weight loss that she has to loose before she will be allowed an operation on her hip and knee, she keeps complaining and says she finds it very hard to loose any weight at all!!!!
But of course she can have the operations if she goes private and pays for it out of her own pocket!!!!

This is why the NHS doctors do not want to operate on your mum's friend unless she loses weight (the link has some technical terms but you will get the gist of it):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227108.php

chris955 Nov 7th 2013 11:27 am

I reckon that is fair enough, in most cases obesity is self inflicted and if you want to have a major operation and weight is going to be a major factor in your recovery then as I say it is fair enough.

Englishmum Nov 7th 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10978510)
I understand about your medical fears - but it very much depends on where you live. Some areas have long waiting lists, some don't. It also depends on the severity of your need - if it is life-threatening you would be given priority.

Here's info on the guide to NHS waiting times:

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rig...g%20times.aspx

There is a subheading: 'Comparing Waiting Times'

"You can exercise your right to choose the hospital you are referred to by comparing hospitals across England on this website" (see link below):

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Hos...ch/7/Hospitals

You can read reviews by patients at various hospitals across the country about their experiences and all the links to the hospitals state the waiting times for particular departments from referral to treatment.

mikelincs Nov 7th 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10980375)
I reckon that is fair enough, in most cases obesity is self inflicted and if you want to have a major operation and weight is going to be a major factor in your recovery then as I say it is fair enough.

Not in all cases, if you have severe arthritis, then it is very difficult to exercise to lose weight as the normal methods of walking, cycling etc visits to the gym are not possible.

feelbritish Nov 7th 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10980253)

I do think that is fair! Why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for someone to have an operation when they will not look after themselves. Maybe should be applied to smoking and drinking as well? It is not just overeating that causes problems. But then these people pay the tax on those items and a lot of junk food is now going to be taxed heavily! A very difficult topic.

feelbritish Nov 7th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10980675)
Not in all cases, if you have severe arthritis, then it is very difficult to exercise to lose weight as the normal methods of walking, cycling etc visits to the gym are not possible.

There are exceptions to every rule and should be taken into consideration but seeing that it is dangerous to operate on Obese people I for one would try my utmost to lose the weight rather than put myself in that dangerous position

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 3:45 pm

Obesity is often a factor in infertility, too, but some obese women will continue to demand IVF.

rebs Nov 7th 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980809)
Obesity is often a factor in infertility, too, but some obese women will continue to demand IVF.

As will women with low BMIs which can also be a factor in fertility.

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10980824)
As will women with low BMIs which can also be a factor in fertility.

That's true - I was only going by what a doctor told me he saw in his clinics, maybe very thin women also present.

Mallory Nov 7th 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980809)

Obesity in infertility situations is most often due to the woman having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Obesity is a side effect of this, and it is extremely hard to lose the weight, almost impossible for some. Women with PCOS have terrible difficulties getting pregnant, and often have multiple miscarriages. It is a hormonal problem. Diabetes is often present. Obese people should not be passed over for IVF treatment if they have PCOS - that would be grossly unfair. They often go years trying to get pregnant before they are diagnosed as having PCOS.

Not saying that all obese women have PCOS, but you can't tell by just looking at someone's appearance whether or not they have a medical problem. It's a heart breaking situation, and it is not uncommon by any means.

dunroving Nov 7th 2013 4:20 pm

Can you get baldness treatment on the NHS?

rebs Nov 7th 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10980880)
Can you get baldness treatment on the NHS?

Only if your BMI is within acceptable values :p

Sally Redux Nov 7th 2013 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10980888)
Only if your BMI is within acceptable values :p

I think the point is not to punish people, but make them aware that the treatment may not be successful.

rebs Nov 7th 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10980894)
I think the point is not to punish people, but make them aware that the treatment may not be successful.

I know.. I think that's probably true...

I've known a couple of ladies that have had fertility treatments and all of them were incredibly focussed on maximising the chances of success - taking care of what they ate etc almost to the point of obsession.

jasper123 Nov 7th 2013 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10980367)
This is why the NHS doctors do not want to operate on your mum's friend unless she loses weight (the link has some technical terms but you will get the gist of it):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/227108.php

Yes thats very interesting reading, and of course the hospital would not operate, too much risk to the patient I would think is the main reason, but that would be too simple, and nothing is ever that simple, a part of the reason for a no op policy on heavy people must also be ----- why should we!!!!

jasper123 Nov 8th 2013 3:41 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9322200)
The very little bit I know about this subject is that all manangement is under the gun to increase sales. If their sales go down then they are out of a job. Up at the top the CEOs have to perform for the stockholders or they get bounced. Think of it as a game that the kids play on their computers and they thrive to win. Well thats that side of the story looking at the other side. Employees are just a means to atchieve sales and they have to work hours at any time of the day This is a big thing to me that I remember in 'England' in my day that shops were closed on Sunday and this allowed people to get together as family and friends and plan for that day, now I'm afraid that the businesses want to be open 24 hours so as to increase sales again. Shops use to close at 5:30 or 6pm and the employees had a life! You should hear the Americans scream because they can't shop 24 hours a day in England like 'back home' its so inconvenient for them! I always think of the employee side. Sorry. Some shops use to close at 1pm on Saturday and the employees could go to the match or ?? I think that was a long time ago because they went to early closing on Wednesday so to be open all day on Saturday. My point is family and culture was important and unfortunately they are taking the American view that if your family gets in the way of your job then get a divorce!

OK vote for me if you agree! Family and culture is more important than materialism and convenience in shopping(higher sales).

I'm really not this hostile but I do have my opinions.

Yesterday we saw the hostility to Tesco in Bristol and I was caught in between because I hate, hate violence against the police and property period. On the other had we have Tesco who in my opinion go around and grease hands to open up all over, pay low wages (so I'm told) and they end up ruining towns and villages by closing down the neighborhood shops that people could walk to.

and furthermore its all Dunrovins fault:lol::lol:

cheers you have got my vote for sure!!! and if you ever want to run for senator, remember you are never too old, we need people like you to change the way things are!!! ;)

dunroving Nov 8th 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10982272)
cheers you have got my vote for sure!!! and if you ever want to run for senator, remember you are never too old, we need people like you to change the way things are!!! ;)

Wh ...?

Where did you get that post from Cheers? I must have missed that one - or is it a really old one? Not sure what I did to create mayhem in the retail industry ... :ohmy:

jasper123 Nov 9th 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10982447)
Wh ...?

Where did you get that post from Cheers? I must have missed that one - or is it a really old one? Not sure what I did to create mayhem in the retail industry ... :ohmy:

Yes dunroving it is an old post of cheers I dug up from way back, Just thought it was an interesting subject, the short reference to you at the end was just banter, a little lightheartedness, humor,

jasper123 Nov 9th 2013 10:32 am

Tomorrow night is the last episode of Dowton Abbey for all us lot who are already in UK :(

dunroving Nov 9th 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10983551)
Tomorrow night is the last episode of Downton Abbey for all us lot who are already in UK :(

Already? Is there going to be a Christmas special like last year? If so, I hope they don't have any more nasty surprises planned.

Must say that after the shocker a few weeks back, they haven't been too sensationalist but I do feel that the stories are being tweaked just to satisfy the American audience. :thumbdown:

dunroving Nov 9th 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10983547)
Yes dunroving it is an old post of cheers I dug up from way back, Just thought it was an interesting subject, the short reference to you at the end was just banter, a little lightheartedness, humor,

Phew, I thought I was going a bit crazy when I couldn't remember it or see it. Realised it was banter, I just didn't remember it.

jasper123 Nov 9th 2013 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10983574)
Already? Is there going to be a Christmas special like last year? If so, I hope they don't have any more nasty surprises planned.

Must say that after the shocker a few weeks back, they haven't been too sensationalist but I do feel that the stories are being tweaked just to satisfy the American audience. :thumbdown:

Yes dunroving I also hope they have a Christmas special like last year, I think you are right about thinking that the producers and writers of Downton Abbey have the American audience in mind a lot when they make each episode, as it has become so big over there with a much bigger audience then here in the UK, and I did read that the whole series is made with mostly American money!!!! am I right in thinking that, do you or anyone out there know if this is true?

Derrygal Nov 9th 2013 1:22 pm

Regarding Downton Abbey and the Americans - it has a huge following here. Also, I was in Macy's department store last weekend and they have a new display of fashion (costume) jewelry there called "Downton Abbey", necklaces, earrings, etc copied from the style worn during that period. Very nice I must admit. My daughter bought some earrings!

Mummy in the foothills Nov 9th 2013 2:27 pm

I got a call last evening, Shipping arrives Tuesday. I have got the boys to get days off to help out, so I hope it goes smoothly. We cleared the Garage out of just about everything. We'll see what happens. Of course the water board decided to dig on the road leading to ours. :banghead: I hope the truck can get past.