Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Almost Christmas! Where has everyone gone - this is the most silent thread ever. All the best to everyone, where ever you are.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Almost Christmas! Where has everyone gone - this is the most silent thread ever. All the best to everyone, where ever you are.
Well, Rosie, I don't know about everyone else, but Tim & I will be all alone, over Christmas - unless of course, you care to call round! Merry christmas -love Don
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Christmas to you Rosie! And to all!

Where are we?--running around doing all those last-minute things we thought we had so much time for!

Speaking for myself, anyway!

Tina
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I am in workman and move preparation hell. Currently trying to open an HSBC account online (so we can transfer it to the UK when the time comes) sitting at the dining room table because workmen are decorating the room where I usually work. My husband is at the tip dumping some crap. I have barely had time to think of Christmas and everyone I know is getting Amazon vouchers. Hopefully I can make it up to them next year.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I guess everyone is busy - Merry Christmas to you and all the best for 2012!!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here. We spent the day shopping, I haven't done a proper grocery shop here for a few weeks so the canned and frozen stuff was low, and I went to a big discount grocery store in the nearest big city $200 later Dh nearly fainted there wasn't that much either and just about everything I got was on special. I did buy a half ham for Christmas day $15 best price I could find.
That plus a trip to a couple of other shops and a quick lunch means we were out all day.
Have a lovely Christmas Islandwoman.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rosie Im here. been busy too, putting up the christmas tree, decorating it and the house with all the usual christmas stuff, doing shopping, buying presents, going to family christmas parties, OMG there isn't enough hours in a day, Mum & I say we will enjoy christmas but we will be sooooo glad when its all over so then we can just relax and get back to a normal routine again,
have a lovely Christmas Rosie and a wonderful new year,
Rodney x hugs
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Good! We are back up and running. Yes, I know it is 'the season' but I hate all the crowds and rush, so like some of you, I look forward to Boxing Day!

I thought I would let you know that this Christmas season bears absolutely NO resemblance to the last one, when I moved into my chilly little bedsitter, knowing absolutely no one other than the real estate agent and my landlord.

It was, without doubt, one of the loneliest times of my adult life - moving to a new place just before Christmas is not to be recommended! Anyhow, if you remember - or even if you don't - I was able to get all the bedding I needed from the Oxfam shop, who had everything I needed, and I went in there last week to thank them again, and they had not forgotten the occasion, so it must have been meaningful for them too. I use Oxfam, and two other charity shops, almost exclusively - certainly I check them first, before going any place else for material goods.

Have as good a seasonal break as you are able to, wherever in the world you are located, and keep writing in a positive manner so we can get this thread into a happy place again!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Happy Christmas to you Rosie! And to all!

Where are we?--running around doing all those last-minute things we thought we had so much time for!

Speaking for myself, anyway!

Tina
Likewise! Decided to make presents for my 2 friends that I invited to Christmas dinner . Blessings of the sacred Solstice!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here - just been busy at work this week. Believe me when I say I work for Scrooge! Pays half decently but wants blood and more! I will be online tonight and this weekend.

Got to run to get ready to see Scrooge who would not let me have the day off today!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody, just wanted to pop in and say have a wonderful Christmas wherever you are. I only have limited Internet access thanks to the almighty BT stuffing up my connection.

I am heading up north tomorrow on the Virgin Pendolino , Christmas Day at my nephews, Boxing Day visiting the family and the next day heading back darn sarf.

Wishing you all you wish yourself and hope your dreams come true, ESPECIALLY those of you who are planning to head back home.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

A GREAT BIG HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS ON THIS THREAD, AND I TRULLY HOPE THAT YOU ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT NEW YEAR, cause you all deserve it,
Just wanted to say that anyone out there still having doubts about coming back home, then dont, cause although it does take a little while to absorb everything in your new world here, it sure is worth it in the end,

About Christmas, now Im back home I can honestly say that in America I did not celebrate christmas EVER, only cause I had no family out there,
and to my mind without your family Christmas isn't anything, a lot of you have families in your adopted countries where you made your life, like spouse, kids, grandkids, well I didn't have that over there, ----- but I sure have it now my family is obviously much smaller now with most of them already dead, ---- but I tell you ----- I am hanging on to what Ive got left and cherishing every little minute, it seems like I can say now, Im actually finally happy once again, and believe me it feels good, and I can feel myself just smiling more now, you know that real easy smile/laugh that just comes over you when you are most happy,

But I can tell you this though, and Im just speaking for myself only here, I doubt if I would have come home if I didn't have any family here,

You got to have someone or something to come home for, everyone seems to have there own reason for coming home ---- and not just cause they are home sick, If this is what you really want to do KEEP YOUR DREAM ALIVE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN, forget about watching all those old re-runs of British TV, ---- come over and enjoy them first hand, and get your teeth into some really decent fish & chips with real strong picked onions & mushy peas
Take care everyone,
Rodney.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
A GREAT BIG HAPPY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS ON THIS THREAD, AND I TRULLY HOPE THAT YOU ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT NEW YEAR, cause you all deserve it,
Just wanted to say that anyone out there still having doubts about coming back home, then dont, cause although it does take a little while to absorb everything in your new world here, it sure is worth it in the end,

About Christmas, now Im back home I can honestly say that in America I did not celebrate christmas EVER, only cause I had no family out there,
and to my mind without your family Christmas isn't anything, a lot of you have families in your adopted countries where you made your life, like spouse, kids, grandkids, well I didn't have that over there, ----- but I sure have it now my family is obviously much smaller now with most of them already dead, ---- but I tell you ----- I am hanging on to what Ive got left and cherishing every little minute, it seems like I can say now, Im actually finally happy once again, and believe me it feels good, and I can feel myself just smiling more now, you know that real easy smile/laugh that just comes over you when you are most happy,

But I can tell you this though, and Im just speaking for myself only here, I doubt if I would have come home if I didn't have any family here,

You got to have someone or something to come home for, everyone seems to have there own reason for coming home ---- and not just cause they are home sick, If this is what you really want to do KEEP YOUR DREAM ALIVE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN, forget about watching all those old re-runs of British TV, ---- come over and enjoy them first hand, and get your teeth into some really decent fish & chips with real strong picked onions & mushy peas
Take care everyone,
Rodney.
A very Merry Christmas to you too Rodney and all the best for 2012.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....I am so glad to read the joy in your words about being home its been a struggle for you but I think you are doing well and appreciating what it really is all about. "Being Home" with loved ones and feeling a part of something bigger. Give you Mum a big hug from me.

I think you misunderstood when I said about my I Pad, it wasnt my son that bought it for me it was my husband, my son got it through his company at a discount and he downloaded 'netflix' onto it for me.

We are going to have a quiet Christmas just my husband my daughter and my son. My other son came today with his wife and his 3 boys. We had a lovely time. I sometimes wonder if the whole idea of Christmas is lost on the younger generation.

Dontheturner...I hope you and Tim have a lovely day. I do hope your eyes are improving.

Beedubya...Hope the journey to family is a safe one and you have a good time.

To all others on the forum A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HEALTHY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR. May God keep you all safe and Bless each one of you. May all your dreams be fulfilled.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 3:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Take care everyone,
Rodney.
This happy post made my heart smile I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the season and I understand just what you're saying about not celebrating here. I don't even have a tree this year.

My best friends were all together tonight and I'm sad about not being there. But hopefully next year!

Merry Christmas Rodney - and everyone. May all our dreams come true in 2012.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.