Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
It's such a shame. Pretty soon it won't matter if you are in the USA, UK, or Hong Kong - they will all look the same. So sad.
Dont agree, the U.K. will always have its very special uniqueness, wether you are bornand raised here or not, but yes in the short few months that I have been home I can definitely see the American influence in so many ways, especially with the food ---- and also the Barbies are catching on fast too, even my next door neihbour had a Barbie yesterday, you should have seen the smoke ---- OMG you should have seen all the smoke --- first time I saw it I thought that there house was on fire, they havent quite perfected the art of Babaquing yet Im afraid
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the increase in Barbecues is maybe one of the things that has sprung out of global warming aside from American influence on The Food Channel etc. (Aussies are big on Barbecue too). The south-east is noticeably hotter than it was thirty odd years ago and a warm spring is far more common now than back in the seventies and with the warmth comes humidity.

As has been chatted elsewhere today, British homes are not really set up for hot weather so folks get outdoors and want to cook and entertain outdoors when the excuse allows or weather justifies.

We need to be prepared for an awful lot hotter weather in the UK than we were used to when last home there, particularly during heatwaves. Depending upon one's own particular reaction to heat this could have a bearing upon where one chooses to relocate to, be it rural, the coast, the North, Scotland etc. - Location Location Location thread

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 25th 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I thought BBQ's were an Aussie invention!!!

We had one at my niece's on Saturday in sunny Manchester. It was quite funny because I am used to these BIG Aussie gas BBQ's with hot plates and griddles etc.

They are only a young couple and it was their first BBQ, it was one of those round ones on stands (called Weber in Oz), you threw in some packets of charcoal bricks from Tesco, lit it and hoped for the best, it wasn't too bad, but not the greatest BBQ food I have ever eaten LOL!!

But it was nice to sit outside in the warm with all the candles burning drinking wine and eating at a barbie, who'd a thunk it in rainy Merry Olde England!!

p.s. Edited to add, I have also noticed little portable BBQ's at Asda just tonight.

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 25th 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think the Carib Indians had something to do with it but we wont go there as their choice of meat is not currently available!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

narrrrrrrrr

But it was nice to sit outside in the warm with all the candles burning drinking wine and eating at a barbie, who'd a thunk it in rainy Merry Olde England!!

After watching the weather in England for the last long while, I am beginning to think that it is a mith thats it rains there
p.s. Edited to add, I have also noticed little portable BBQ's at Asda just tonight.
above
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Royal Wedding Guest List

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13175842
That's very interesting Bee. Hopefully the Archbishop of Canterbury will have his beard and hair trimmed before the ceremony. What a mess!

Stephen Harper (PM of Canada) was invited but declined because we are in the midst of a General Election (May 2). Hopefully he'll be gone.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Can anyone help with a computer issue?

Sometimes a picture isn't received and instead you get a little symbol instead. The symbol is always the same and the best way to describe it as its like a postage stamp, but a fraction of the size, with a little piece torn at the bottom.
I think everyone has seen them from time to time on their screen.

Any ideas???

Cheers
Often size and space issues. Findaproperty.com is really bad for this. Not everyone has a brand new computer with tons of memory.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
The UK is only the size of Texas. To compare to USA you would have to have free calling all over Europe.
I am not comparing it to USA --- I am simply saying thats what I get and thats what Im paying in the U.K. --- the USA was not mentioned
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
We have BT anytime 24/7 calling all over Great Britain, all for £13.27 per month, my broadband 5 gig super speed internet costs and extra £16 per month with unlimited usage.
That's very encouraging. They are about to start charging for internet based upon usage here. Anything to make a buck.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Then again, this is the thread that people were shunted off to to stop that stuff happening in the main thread. Maybe we need a third spin-off thread
This is what I was trying to say. We wouldn't be moving back if where we are living is Shangri-la, even for family. My main approach is to "say it like it is". Some people will be offended by that. So be it. And yes, this is the off-topic thread and it is a forum. If all we want is info we have the all-powerful Google for that, and the Wiki links on this site.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
When we go back, I'm wondering if we'll even bother with a TV. We only use ours as a screening device for shows we download from the Box and once we're there, we can watch everything online on iPlayer, 4oD etc.

I don't think we've sat down and watched a show on TV at its appointed time for 2 years now.
Of my 100+ channels, almost the only things I watch are British shows. It used to be that the summer was all re-runs; now it's the summer and half the winter that are re-runs. I would cancel my cable but I use my computer alot and don't know how you use your computer AND watch a show on it at the same time.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
First place I moved to in the UK, I could only receive 4 TV channels - one of which was in Welsh!

Now I live somewhere that doesn't receive Freeview and the standard channels aren't too hot either.

Luckily, about 3 years back the government introduced Freesat and now I have 100's of channels to choose from! (except my dish stopped working 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the repair man ) And Scotland only gets one HD Freesat channel - mind you, STV doesn't screen half of the regular ITV programs so we get Kenneth McKellar re-runs instead of the latest cutting-edge dramas.
Me and Mum bought a nice 42 inch sony TV a couple of months ago from comet on sale for £399 plus if you pay em £40 extra they deliver and set it up and connect your VCR and CD/DVD player and also program all the channels, we have 99 free channels we dont have a cable box it all runs from the outside antenna on the roof of the house, and its just as clear a picture as when I had cable in Vegas,
The system here in U.K. is I think rather unique --- you buy a new TV and when its hooked up you have all these wonderful channels built inside your TV, just pay your TV licence every year and its all free, ---- unless you are my Mum whos almost 92 and gets her TV licence free of charge

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 25th 2011 at 10:31 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I think that the increase in Barbecues is maybe one of the things that has sprung out of global warming aside from American influence on The Food Channel etc. (Aussies are big on Barbecue too). The south-east is noticeably hotter than it was thirty odd years ago and a warm spring is far more common now than back in the seventies and with the warmth comes humidity.

As has been chatted elsewhere today, British homes are not really set up for hot weather so folks get outdoors and want to cook and entertain outdoors when the excuse allows or weather justifies.

We need to be prepared for an awful lot hotter weather in the UK than we were used to when last home there, particularly during heatwaves. Depending upon one's own particular reaction to heat this could have a bearing upon where one chooses to relocate to, be it rural, the coast, the North, Scotland etc. - Location Location Location thread
I have been thinking about this too Pete. I wonder, in those period cottages where you are sleeping right under the roof, how hot those bedrooms would get. Also wonder if thatch might be a great heat insulator, summer and winter.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

We had one at my niece's on Saturday in sunny Manchester. It was quite funny because I am used to these BIG Aussie gas BBQ's with hot plates and griddles etc.

They are only a young couple and it was their first BBQ, it was one of those round ones on stands (called Weber in Oz), you threw in some packets of charcoal bricks from Tesco, lit it and hoped for the best, it wasn't too bad, but not the greatest BBQ food I have ever eaten LOL!!

Well I dont know Barb but Barbies were not around Australia when I was living there in the mid 60,s at least I never heard of them but USA has been doing BBQ'S since way before MR Ed was on TV and that was a mighty long time ago,
Today me and Mum went to beach together, and guess what I saw, two women and a man sitting on the beach BBQuing ---- they had this real tiny little mini like round BBQ,
It is so HOT here and its been going on for ages this sun and heat, we havent seen rain for such a long time, this is just not the England that I used to know.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's very encouraging. They are about to start charging for internet based upon usage here. Anything to make a buck.
Yes in UK they used to charge for usage years ago ------ not quite sure what happened to change that, probably when that good old word called (COMPETITION) was introduced to England

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.