Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 28th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Rod, about 6 months ago you wrote that in order to use your computer you had to sit on a suitcase in the hallway so as to be close to the power or computer connection. Is that still the way it is?

Did the Yanks leave Portsmouth yet? Its amazing to me that a ship with so many crew on board can swell the population of a city so much. I wonder if they were required to wear civilian clothes on the city streets?

Cheers mate
Old May 28th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Im here waiting on chit chat ---- where are you old bean?
Old May 28th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK.

So you know.

I think that is amazing because they are still a very small percentage of the population compared with what a city in the US would be.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod, about 6 months ago you wrote that in order to use your computer you had to sit on a suitcase in the hallway so as to be close to the power or computer connection. Is that still the way it is?

Did the Yanks leave Portsmouth yet? Its amazing to me that a ship with so many crew on board can swell the population of a city so much. I wonder if they were required to wear civilian clothes on the city streets?

Cheers mate
Oh THERE U ARE, NO I got a power outlet put into the wall right under the phone so the modem sits side by side with phone, the outlet cost me £70 Yeah I know that was rather expensive and same thing would have cost me about $40 in U.S. but when we are living here we have to constantly remind ourselves that we are not in the States anymore and we have to try and not convert the sterling price of something to U.S. Dollars ---- Im still doing it 6 months later, that is the hardest thing to quit doing I think. --- everything I buy ---- say its a nice big whole chicken for £4 at the co - op the little cash reregisternside my head goes Hmmmm thats around $6.
Yes cheers I did read that they were required to wear civillian cloathes on the street so as not to upset the poor local lads he he he he

Last edited by jasper123; May 28th 2011 at 3:41 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK.

So you know.

I think that is amazing because they are still a very small percentage of the population compared with what a city in the US would be.
Hmmmm are u sure mate? seems odd, they probably mean percentage wise per capita.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers I did read that they were required to wear civillian cloathes on the street so as not to upset the poor local lads he he he he
So did you see any or are they in another part of town. They are easy to spot because of their haircuts and "go Raiders" jackets ...and dollar bills falling out of their pockets.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

So did you see any or are they in another part of town. They are easy to spot because of their haircuts and "go Raiders" jackets
Well there ships the aircraft carrier AND THE DESTOYER sailed into Portsmouth at the gun warf area of portsmouth which is about 3 miles from where live but I did take a bus down there yesterday but I must have been too early so I came back home cause it was not a nice day --- very windy and chilly and cloudy, today the same, so here in the south the weather is changing for a few days.
Old May 28th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmmm are u sure mate? seems odd, they probably mean percentage wise per capita.
See Wikipedia-Portsmouth-demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth

^ BBC South Today 11/4/08

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK, particularly the most skilled.[50] According to 2007 estimates, the ethnic breakdown of Portsmouth's population is as follows: 86.4% White British, 3.8% Other White, 1.7% Chinese, 1.6% Indian, 1.3% Mixed-Race, 1.2% Bangladeshi, 1.0% Other ethnic group, 0.9% Black African, 0.7% White Irish, 0.6% Other South Asian, 0.4% Pakistani, 0.3% Black Caribbean and 0.1% Other Black.[51]
Old May 28th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

See Wikipedia-Portsmouth-demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth

^ BBC South Today 11/4/08

Portsmouth is the City with the highest number of emigrants, in the UK, particularly the most skilled.[50] According to 2007 estimates, the ethnic breakdown of Portsmouth's population is as follows: 86.4% White British, 3.8% Other White, 1.7% Chinese, 1.6% Indian, 1.3% Mixed-Race, 1.2% Bangladeshi, 1.0% Other ethnic group, 0.9% Black African, 0.7% White Irish, 0.6% Other South Asian, 0.4% Pakistani, 0.3% Black Caribbean and 0.1% Other Black.[51]
Yes like I said cheers ---- they are saying percentage wise per capita, its not saying that there are more immigrants living in Portsmouth then any other English city, it is just saying percentage wise of the population of Portsmouth ---- we have the highest percentage thats all!!!!
Old May 29th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

And significantly cheaper then applying for a UK passport in America too, I saved about £100 getting my British passport renewed here in England.
Can I immigrate on my Canadian passport? My UK one has expired and I don't really want to send it to Washington DC for renewal.

Last edited by bandrui; May 29th 2011 at 8:31 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Can I immigrate on my Canadian passport? My UK one has expired and I don't really want to send it to Washington DC for renewal.
What do you mean emigrate? If your British you are allowed back to UK to live permanently, you can enter on your canadian passport but if you do that you will get a stamp in your passport dated so you will only be able to stay in UK temporarily,
You better just get your UK passport renewed before you leave unless you want to give yourself unnecessary problems.
By the way when are you going home for good?
Old May 29th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I wonder if there is anyone that has already taken the plunge and are already over here in UK,
Its about steaks, I have bought steaks 3 times so far from three different places ---- last one was lidle ---- anyway each time I cook it in the pan it comes out as tough as leather, the one I cooked today was sold as a top sirloin, now we all know in America that top sirloin steak is so tender when fried,
This one bought over here was absolutely full of gristle and the little meat that you could actually kind of chew OMG it takes about 100 chews to just chew a little piece of meat, tough like leather,
Any comments from anyone about British Steak meat would be welcome.
Rodney.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I wonder if there is anyone that has already taken the plunge and are already over here in UK,
Its about steaks, I have bought steaks 3 times so far from three different places ---- last one was lidle ---- anyway each time I cook it in the pan it comes out as tough as leather, the one I cooked today was sold as a top sirloin, now we all know in America that top sirloin steak is so tender when fried,
This one bought over here was absolutely full of gristle and the little meat that you could actually kind of chew OMG it takes about 100 chews to just chew a little piece of meat, tough like leather,
Any comments from anyone about British Steak meat would be welcome.
Rodney.
The UK steak cuts are named in a different manner. I found out the hard way just as you have. The best I can say is don't buy supermarket meat, but go to a reputable butchers shop. I have given up on supermarket meat, and only buy from the local butcher if I want meat. They understand the different names and can advise you correctly.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:34 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper, I know what you mean about steaks. Meat in general. Whole different language

I've found the best one for frying is rump steak. A butcher recommended that to me. It varies, but most of the time it's as good as sirloin in North America. Had a nice piece last night.

Sirloin here, which was strip loin over there, is never good. I don't know why as it's the same cut, but it's always chewy.

But meat is cheaper in North America. Course it's probably packed with hormones and other bulk-up chemicals, which isn't good for us, but it can be awfully tasty.

OTOH, lamb is great over here, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Islandwoman, I do shop at a local butcher, but the two best rump steaks I've had have been from supermarkets. One was ASDA, the other Sainsbury's. Don't know why -- unless the animals were pumped full of the above chemicals!

Bev
Old May 29th 2011, 3:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The cuts are different Rodney.
Scroll down on here it has the cow and the cuts explained for UK and US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef It looks like the US sirloin is UK Rump steak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.