Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 26th 2011, 6:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Does anyone know why at the start of the long running Aussie soap Neighbors ---- they always have on the screen Ramsey street England?
I bet you know Cheers even though your a yank

PS tomorrow the newest US aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush will cruise into my town Portsmouth and there gonna let loose 6,000 American Sailers on the city,
All the single Brit
Yobs, Blokes better get out of there way, but they have to be back on board ship by 1 am every morning,
Phew I must book meself a train ticket post haste.
Old May 26th 2011, 6:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's America for you - less is never more here! Still, you have to remember that many US politicians and several Presidents have been shot. Lincoln was shot and killed, more recently President Kennedy was murdered, and Ronald Reagan was also shot and wounded badly. Then of course there's RFK and Martin Luther King and Malcolm X who were all assassinated while out in public.

Looked at in that light, you can't blame the secret service for being overly cautious and wanting to put on a show. And of course this President generates a lot more hate from a certain segment of society than any of his white predecessors, so a lot of us worry about his safety.
Oh of course we can understand (notice I am saying the royal we ) the need for the President's safety but we the British public (said in my best Royal voice) are not used to SEEING so much overt security, and not let's forget that Lord Louis Mountbatten and his family were killed by terrorist's and also the Brighton bombings of Maggie T, the London tube bombings etc............so we are not immune to threats and assassinations.......
Old May 26th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Trivia

The cost of obtaining a standard passport over the years has increased greatly. While consumer prices in the UK have increased by 24% from early 1998 to 2009, the price of a passport renewal increased by 269%.[28]

£77.50 – 3 September 2009 – an increase which the Government said was necessary due to a falling number of passport applicants, and also to pay for enhanced passport security measures.

Just sayin'

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; May 26th 2011 at 7:18 pm.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Trivia

The cost of obtaining a standard passport over the years has increased greatly. While consumer prices in the UK have increased by 24% from early 1998 to 2009, the price of a passport renewal increased by 269%.[28]

£77.50 – 3 September 2009 – an increase which the Government said was necessary due to a falling number of passport applicants, and also to pay for enhanced passport security measures.

Just sayin'

Cheers
And significantly cheaper than applying for a British passport from Australia:

Passport fees in Australia are:

Adult passport

32-page passport - $263.45
48 page passport - $306.45
Old May 28th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Quoting:

Best finds:
Haggis, red/black pudding
decently priced/tasting wine
smoked salmon
bacon and brie sandwiches
IRN BRU!!!!!111one
Yorkshire pudding
ostrich burgers
Cornish pasties (and any other pastry dish really)
NHS
salad cream
Parma Ham
Clothes that are not ill-fitting

Worst finds:
European cars (discounting German/Italian - rest are almost as bad as American cars)
council tax
petrol prices
TV "license"
price of beer
English mustard
MOT
toast racks (come on, really? WHAT'S THE POINT!?)
Old May 28th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you read about the Royal Protection Officers car being clamped in Portsmouth yesterday? They arrested the clamper!
I'm thinking what would have happened if they had had the opportunity to have done it to one of the Presidents cars?
Old May 28th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Come fly with me????

news item.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-hour-delay.do
Old May 28th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh of course we can understand (notice I am saying the royal we ) the need for the President's safety but we the British public (said in my best Royal voice) are not used to SEEING so much overt security, and not let's forget that Lord Louis Mountbatten and his family were killed by terrorist's and also the Brighton bombings of Maggie T, the London tube bombings etc............so we are not immune to threats and assassinations.......
I see where you are coming from Barb, we were blown away by this when we first moved here as it all seems over the top, but we are used to it now, Obama is getting what is typical for any US President.
Old May 28th 2011, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

7 hours? I'd mutiny too. They should have been off-loaded. I read that some were connecting from Canada. Mama mia!
Old May 28th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful video - well worth watching, right to the end:
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...6&source=jl999
Old May 28th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

How it is

http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/11052...a_Mountain.htm
Old May 28th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

And significantly cheaper than applying for a British passport from Australia:

Passport fees in Australia are:

Adult passport

32-page passport - $263.45
48 page passport - $306.45
And significantly cheaper then applying for a UK passport in America too, I saved about £100 getting my British passport renewed here in England.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read about the Royal Protection Officers car being clamped in Portsmouth yesterday? They arrested the clamper!
I'm thinking what would have happened if they had had the opportunity to have done it to one of the Presidents cars?
Yes cheers that clamper story made first page news in the Portsmouth local paper last night (The News)
Apparently the clapper refused to take off the clamp unless the officers would show him proof that they were on duty
So the officers just arrested this IDIOT Off with his head I say !!!!!
Old May 28th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers that clamper story made first page news in the Portsmouth local paper last night (The News)
Apparently the clapper refused to take off the clamp unless the officers would show him proof that they were on duty
So the officers just arrested this IDIOT Off with his head I say !!!!!
He was arrested so I wonder if that was enough proof for the clamper that the RPOs were on duty?
Old May 28th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Phew I must book meself a train ticket post haste.
how about Ramsey Street? and calm down its only 6,000 sailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.