Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Hello everyone, sorry I havent posted for a while, I think its about 6 weeks or so since Ive posted, that was about the time my almost 95 year old mum had an accident, she slipped and fell at her bowling club, ambulance took her to hospital, found she fractured her hip/fema, next day had operation, followed by 2 weeks in hospital, and since then I have been looking after her at home, at hospital the day after her operation she fell out of bed, and since she has been home she fell once going to the bathroom, so these falls kind of set her back a bit, she walks very slowly around house with the aid of a walker frame, she is off her food, and is on a ton of medications, nurse comes in every day gives her a shot in stomach to stop blood clots, also every day a physical therapist comes in to try and get mum to do excercises, she is recovering slow but I think she will be back to normal in a couple of months, at least thats what Im hoping, --------- and now for the rest of the story!!!!
So guess what ----- the friend that I was going to visit in Carthage Texas and leaving on may 6th, well when mum had the accident I called Him ---- his name is Arthur and told him what happened and that Ive cancelled my flight, and that I cant leave Mum all on her own, and right away he said dont worry I will come and visit you and your Mum in England, (they know each other very well, my mum has spent lots of time with him on her trips over to the states to visit me)
So Art is coming over for 7 weeks and hes flying in on May 4th, and mum and I are looking forward to seeing him very much, ----- he is 60 and hes a New Yorker, and he has never ever been outside of the United States in his life, so I think he is very excited to come here!!!! he only got his first passport last year, he will be staying with us, I think everyone over here will love his accent!!!!!
Take care ya-all
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Apr 27th 2014 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you posted Rodney I didnt want to do it I just wanted you to know how concerned the people on this forum were and let you know. I think like I said in my email with the summer months with us soon your Mum will feel better soon I know it takes time to get back to normal. I think there is a vast difference in the care people get in different parts of the UK and your Mum seems to have been very lucky. I wish her all the best and hope the time you spend with your friends gives you a boost. Once your Mum is better I hope you are back on here with those great posting you do. Letting us know the good and bad of going home. I think yours has been all good and I am sure your Mum feels that way

I think that this confirms that many of us on here become more than posters and ships passing in the night but friends and that happens over a period of time. We were all new to the forum at one time but over the years we have become more than people just searching for informaton and answers. We may never meet but there is a connection with one another.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Glad you posted Rodney I didnt want to do it I just wanted you to know how concerned the people on this forum were and let you know. I think like I said in my email with the summer months with us soon your Mum will feel better soon I know it takes time to get back to normal. I think there is a vast difference in the care people get in different parts of the UK and your Mum seems to have been very lucky. I wish her all the best and hope the time you spend with your friends gives you a boost. Once your Mum is better I hope you are back on here with those great posting you do. Letting us know the good and bad of going home. I think yours has been all good and I am sure your Mum feels that way

I think that this confirms that many of us on here become more than posters and ships passing in the night but friends and that happens over a period of time. We were all new to the forum at one time but over the years we have become more than people just searching for informaton and answers. We may never meet but there is a connection with one another.
Well said, Trotty. Good to hear from Rodney again - sorry about his Mum.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yesterday there was a celebration in town, with massed bagpipes from four towns. Here are some photos I took - they are in the 'snapshot' category but I thought you would like to see tartans and bagpipes and, though it was a windy day, nothing did show, so no need ask, OK? There were lady bagpipers, and young bagpipers as well as men.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644356821734/
Superb Shots - Thank you so much Rosie. Don.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, Thank you for the update. I am so sorry to hear about your mum and hope she will recover soon. What a great friend you have and how lovely that he will visit you and your mum in England. Hope you all have a lovely time.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone, sorry I havent posted for a while, I think its about 6 weeks or so since Ive posted, that was about the time my almost 95 year old mum had an accident, she slipped and fell at her bowling club, ambulance took her to hospital, found she fractured her hip/fema, next day had operation, followed by 2 weeks in hospital, and since then I have been looking after her at home, at hospital the day after her operation she fell out of bed, and since she has been home she fell once going to the bathroom, so these falls kind of set her back a bit, she walks very slowly around house with the aid of a walker frame, she is off her food, and is on a ton of medications, nurse comes in every day gives her a shot in stomach to stop blood clots, also every day a physical therapist comes in to try and get mum to do excercises, she is recovering slow but I think she will be back to normal in a couple of months, at least thats what Im hoping, --------- and now for the rest of the story!!!!
So guess what ----- the friend that I was going to visit in Carthage Texas and leaving on may 6th, well when mum had the accident I called Him ---- his name is Arthur and told him what happened and that Ive cancelled my flight, and that I cant leave Mum all on her own, and right away he said dont worry I will come and visit you and your Mum in England, (they know each other very well, my mum has spent lots of time with him on her trips over to the states to visit me)
So Art is coming over for 7 weeks and hes flying in on May 4th, and mum and I are looking forward to seeing him very much, ----- he is 60 and hes a New Yorker, and he has never ever been outside of the United States in his life, so I think he is very excited to come here!!!! he only got his first passport last year, he will be staying with us, I think everyone over here will love his accent!!!!!
Take care ya-all
Rodney.
First thing I thought of was thank goodness you are home to look after your mum! Wishing her a speedy recovery. Enjoy your friend's visit
~Monique
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
If they did that here, no doubt some people would sue for sexual harassment! I must admit I get tired of the "have a nice day" here. I know the majority of store clerks/shopkeepers don't give a sh*t about what kind of day I have! They are only interested in how much money I spend! I always remember when my youngest daughter was getting married. I decided to "splash out" and purchase an expensive lipstick at a department store (I usually buy the cheaper drug store type). I think the clerk was a little annoyed with me that I only purchased the one item. As I was leaving she told me to have a nice day and also come back and spend more money next time!! I thought she was very rude!
I know what you mean, some of those places make me feel uncomfortable, like no amount of money spent would be enough.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney - Glad you are okay - sorry about your mum. As others have said though, it's wonderful that you are there to help take care of her and great that your American friend is coming to see you. I am sure you will both have a lot of catching up to do.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Between Two Islands. This may be a daft idea but not sure where your property in US is located or size of it. But I used to work for VP at Motorola and we had overseas visitors who came to US for a month or more to work. It was my job to arrange corporate housing for them. So we had company and I would look at apartments and then choose one I believed was best fit. Don't know if this is something you would consider. They were engineers, management personnel etc. I also would consider doing something like that but need transferable skills which I will work on when get back from UK.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Take care ya-all
Rodney.
Hello Rod.
I thought something was wrong, Im glad your Mum is on the mend, I think Art will have a great time in the Uk with you guys, its amazing how plans change, its wonderful that Art will come and see you.

Glad to see you back, all the best to your Mum...
Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Between Two Islands. This may be a daft idea but not sure where your property in US is located or size of it. But I used to work for VP at Motorola and we had overseas visitors who came to US for a month or more to work. It was my job to arrange corporate housing for them. So we had company and I would look at apartments and then choose one I believed was best fit. Don't know if this is something you would consider. They were engineers, management personnel etc. I also would consider doing something like that but need transferable skills which I will work on when get back from UK.
Not a daft idea for many people, I'm sure, but I don't think our property would work for this, and then the same thing applies as for renting it out--need to take everything personal out of it including clothes etc....thanks for the thought, though.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see your post Rodney--wishing your Mum a continued good recovery and I'm sure you and your friend will have a great time--and how exciting for you to be able to show him a completely new place and country!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

between two world..
Islandwoman120....
Dunroving......
Curleytops.....

Your postings made me really homesick. I miss everything on your lists. Here are just a few:

Churchbells
Ancient gravestones
buses
sweet shops
secondhand bookstores
robins, not the giant ones we have
songbirds
being called love..although my neighbour who is from England calls me love...
hedgerows...I was sad to read how the hedgerows were destroyed in many places years ago but now they are replanting them as they realize what good they did. I did buy a book which I was going to use when I came home but I am now going to try and do it here along the back of my garden behind the stone wall. The books called "Hedges" by Averil Bedrich gives a list of plants to make a hedgerow. I also bought a lovely book called 'The Garden Birds Handbook', it full of wonderful ideas and birds of the UK. Its published by the Wildlife Trust......It tells you how to feed identify and attract bird to your garden.

I could go on and on......But my heart won't take it.......
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney so pleased to hear from you but sorry about your mom. It must be so hard for you to see her struggling but good news that Art is coming over and I am sure that this will make your mom rally more as she will have something to look forward to! Have a perfect time with your friend and hope your mom gets back to herself soon. Take care
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:17 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
between two world..
Islandwoman120....
Dunroving......
Curleytops.....

Your postings made me really homesick. I miss everything on your lists. Here are just a few:

Churchbells
Ancient gravestones
buses
sweet shops
secondhand bookstores
robins, not the giant ones we have
songbirds
being called love..although my neighbour who is from England calls me love...
hedgerows...I was sad to read how the hedgerows were destroyed in many places years ago but now they are replanting them as they realize what good they did. I did buy a book which I was going to use when I came home but I am now going to try and do it here along the back of my garden behind the stone wall. The books called "Hedges" by Averil Bedrich gives a list of plants to make a hedgerow. I also bought a lovely book called 'The Garden Birds Handbook', it full of wonderful ideas and birds of the UK. Its published by the Wildlife Trust......It tells you how to feed identify and attract bird to your garden.

I could go on and on......But my heart won't take it.......
The birdsong is definitely one of the things I love about being back. I never fed the birds in my garden in Canada, mainly because I had two terriers who operated a zero tolerance bird policy in their airspace. LOL!!
Although, surprisingly, two hummingbirds used visit my garden in the summer, I think the honeysuckle attracted them.

Changed days, now I feed the birds and have been rewarded with many visitors. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is feed my feathered friends and make sure they have enough water, even although I haven't even had a cup of tea! I have even taken to making my own suet & peanut butter cup cakes for them. My birds expect nothing but the best!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.