Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
actually it is possible! They know that I will not be resident in the UK until April/may and that I want to open the account before I return. Given I know my temporary address in the UK since I will be staying with my parents they take that as "holding an address". I just need a copy of my passport and my US driving license and I am all set to open the account. Just verified this with them via email!
Then the latest e-mail you have received appears to contradict the earlier e-mail which specifically asks for a residential address and proof of such.

One would assume that the proof they required would be that the applicant had a residence and not his relatives etc.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

But if you read further down about the address being outside the country they state that they would need documentation of that address. I explained my situation very carefully and made it clear that I want to open the account before I return so I can start transferring money.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

a question further on post #2... in addition that is

anyone have an opinion or from personal experience on which IOM bank is the best as far as ease to open current account with minimal opening balance and minimal to zero service charges?

just came back after I posted..

Just went & did a quick search for comparisons

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...t-for-you.html

Last edited by not2old; Dec 7th 2013 at 11:29 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

for natwest, what about the following

http://www.natwestinternational.com/...t-account.ashx
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
for natwest, what about the following

http://www.natwestinternational.com/...t-account.ashx
I'm new here and have been reading avidly over the last week.

Living in Canada for forty years and thinking of moving back within the next year as my husband died recently and my only family is in London. I just called about this account and the basic requirement is having a minimum balance of ₤25,000 at a really low interest rate or some large amount going into ther account on a regular basis which wouldn't apply to me as I'm retired.

Is anyone aware whether the other offshore accounts have similar requirements? I'll call them all if necessary to get info.

Thanks, Maggie
Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:04 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

actually it is possible! They know that I will not be resident in the UK until April/may and that I want to open the account before I return. Given I know my temporary address in the UK since I will be staying with my parents they take that as "holding an address". I just need a copy of my passport and my US driving license and I am all set to open the account. Just verified this with them via email!
Quite often though, what you get told via email and over the phone is different to what actually happens whey you step into the branch. A lot of times the person who emails or you telephone interprets the guidelines differently, which is why you get contradictory advice. I know this first hand from the experience my son had when he went back to the UK.

So when you go back to the UK it would be really beneficial to others yet to make the move if you would pop back to this thread and update everyone as to whether opening the account went smoothly for you.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No it does not seem possible. The all important phrase is "In order to open an account with Nationwide you will need to hold a UK residential address"

If one is not already living in the UK how do you accomplish this looking at all the proof they require as to your UK residency.

In other words you need to be a resident.
A couple of years ago when I was in the Nat West a young couple in front of me were trying to open an account. They were living with parents and therefore had no utility bills in their name...because if this they were unable to open an an account.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 1:43 am
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first moved to the UK in 2002, Nat West let me open a Solo savings account showing my passport and an international driving licence. It was quite straightforward and they let me fill a form to change my mailing address soon after.