Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Is it possible to open one long distance? Preferably, I'd like to open an account with Nationwide in England.

Secondly, how do I arrange for a U.S. private pension to be paid into a UK bank account? Do I do that before I leave the USA? I don't want to leave open any bank accounts when I leave.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Originally Posted by windsong
Is it possible to open one long distance? Preferably, I'd like to open an account with Nationwide in England.

Secondly, how do I arrange for a U.S. private pension to be paid into a UK bank account? Do I do that before I leave the USA? I don't want to leave open any bank accounts when I leave.
Do you have any HSBC bank branches in your State? (It was originally the British 'Midland Bank' then became HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation....but it is a British operated bank, with many branches in various countries). It may be possible for you to open an account with a branch in the US and then open a UK account once you move there, based on the relationship you have started with them in the States. However it is best for you to actually write or speak with someone in authority rather than the local bank teller or manager in the US who most likely won't have a clue if or how to facilitate this; you will need to do a bit of detective work and possibly contact an HSBC manager who is used to dealing with expats....do a dig around on their US and international websites.

OTOH, you may wish to consider opening an offshore account in the British Isles (ie. Isle of Man, Guernsey or Jersey) with a 'High Street' UK bank; not only for tax reasons but when you do move to the mainland UK you should be able to transfer your offshore account seamlessly to a mainland branch (do speak with a bank rep first to confirm this).

We have had one for many years on the Isle of Man and it operates exactly like any usual bank - we have a checking account but they're called 'current accounts' in the UK eg. we can do internet or telephone banking, have a cheque book (rarely used these days) and ATM/debit cards. Many offshore banks also offer a choice of pounds sterling accounts, US $ and Euro checking accounts, plus also savings accounts. Without proof of a UK address (eg. utility bills, rent/mortgage, council tax or being on the electoral register) it may be your best option right now.

By the way, we do all international money transfers between the US/UK/Switzerland with http://www.xe.com as they do not charge fees for outgoing or incoming transfers and the rates are competitive (certainly better than our banks' fees!). They do check that you are not an international money launderer though so it takes a few days to set up and they phone you to check that you are bona fide.

However, Nationwide International only seem to offer savings accounts offshore....but it may be worth considering opening an account just to get you started off. If you want a checking account you may wish to consider offshore branches of banks such as HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Natwest etc. and their websites should give info on how to open an account and phone numbers to call with any enquiries:

http://www.natwestinternational.com/...fshore-banking

http://international.lloydsbank.com/...FYZd3godQ3kA-w

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/ho...lp/expats.html

http://www.nationwideinternational.com/questions.htm

Your second question about transferring a US pension into a UK bank account I can't answer - but I understand that a very regular poster here, Rodney aka Jasper was able to do this when he moved from Las Vegas to Portsmouth - if he doesn't spot this post then perhaps you can send him a private message.

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 2nd 2013 at 7:52 am.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

International banks like Citibank and HSBC offer such services but not the local UK banks.

Citibank has worked quite well since they provide a global view of accounts and the minimum balance requirement is global.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I would second Englishmum's suggestion, that is, open a pound sterling account at a bank in the Isle of Man. When you become a resident in the UK, you can use that account for you banking needs. At some point, go into the local branch of that bank and get them to transfer it from the IoM to the local UK branch.

I have an account at Nationwide in the Isle of Man, it was a separate company, but as it happens a few days ago, they sent me a letter to say the IoM company will be dissolved and the IoM operation will be managed by the actual Nationwide Building Society in the future.

So if you open an IoM account while still in the US, you can get your pension deposited in your new account, without having to wait till you're in England to do it ...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent an email to nationwide last night to see if I could do this. I will let you know what they say. With HSBC you have to have a certain amount of funds for their accounts, I believe it was 25k when I last checked.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I sent an email to nationwide last night to see if I could do this. I will let you know what they say. With HSBC you have to have a certain amount of funds for their accounts, I believe it was 25k when I last checked.
Well, all the banks that operate in the IoM have full instructions on how to open an account on their websites, so you simply fill out the application, gather the necessary documents (e.g. notarized copy of passport, utility bill, etc.) and mail it off. Depending on the type of account, there may be a minimum opening balance required.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not looking in IOM I was looking to open in UK.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I'm not looking in IOM I was looking to open in UK.
OK, sorry
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

No problem, if the UK option doesnt work out your info will come in handy for plan B.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's the email response I got from nationwide about opening an account before I am resident in the UK. Seems that it is possible you just need the right documentation.

In order to open an account with Nationwide, you will need to hold a UK residential address.

As you will be a new customer, you will need to provide two items of identification. One is to prove your name and the other is to prove your address.

The evidence we require is shown in the following lists, we just need one item from each list.

To provide proof of name please supply one of the following:

- UK based Bank or Building Society Debit or Credit card (not including Nationwide). This must be accompanied by an original statement less than 3 months old
- Full UK Driving Licence (paper or photo card and paper counterpart)
- Valid Full Passport or European Economic Area (EEA) Member State ID Card
- Current benefit book
- Letter from Benefits Agency (less than 12 months old)
- HM Revenue and Customs Notice of Coding (less than 12 months old)
- Birth/Adoption certificate (up to the age of 18 years only)

To provide proof of address please supply one of the following:

- Gas or Electricity bill (less than 3 months old)
- Telephone bill (not mobile) (less than 3 months old)
- Mortgage statement (less than 12 months old)
- Water bill (less than 12 months old)
- Council tax bill (less than 12 months old)

Where a previous address is overseas, we'll need to see one of the following:

- An overseas Bank Statement (less than 6 months old)
- An overseas Utility Bill (less than 6 months old)
- An overseas Driving Licence

You must choose one item from the name and address list and you cannot use the same source more than once e.g. debit card and statement count as one check only.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Opening UK Bank Acct before Leaving USA

Here's the email response I got from nationwide about opening an account before I am resident in the UK. Seems that it is possible you just need the right documentation.

In order to open an account with Nationwide, you will need to hold a UK residential address.

As you will be a new customer, you will need to provide two items of identification. One is to prove your name and the other is to prove your address.

The evidence we require is shown in the following lists, we just need one item from each list.

To provide proof of name please supply one of the following:

- UK based Bank or Building Society Debit or Credit card (not including Nationwide). This must be accompanied by an original statement less than 3 months old
- Full UK Driving Licence (paper or photo card and paper counterpart)
- Valid Full Passport or European Economic Area (EEA) Member State ID Card
- Current benefit book
- Letter from Benefits Agency (less than 12 months old)
- HM Revenue and Customs Notice of Coding (less than 12 months old)
- Birth/Adoption certificate (up to the age of 18 years only)

To provide proof of address please supply one of the following:

- Gas or Electricity bill (less than 3 months old)
- Telephone bill (not mobile) (less than 3 months old)
- Mortgage statement (less than 12 months old)
- Water bill (less than 12 months old)
- Council tax bill (less than 12 months old)

Where a previous address is overseas, we'll need to see one of the following:

- An overseas Bank Statement (less than 6 months old)
- An overseas Utility Bill (less than 6 months old)
- An overseas Driving Licence

You must choose one item from the name and address list and you cannot use the same source more than once e.g. debit card and statement count as one check only.
Windsong asked how she could open a UK bank account (preferably with the Nationwide) before leaving the USA. The above procedure to open an account is for UK residents only; no-one living outside the UK is going to be able to provide a utility bill, council tax bill or mortgage statement with their name and a UK address on it!

The choice therefore seems to be to open an offshore account on the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey and then transfer to a UK mainland bank after moving to the UK or to wait until moving to the UK and getting established there before opening a bank account.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Either way you're not actually going to be able to open a bank account in the UK before arriving. Even transferring the account from the IoM is going to require the same proof of UK address after you arrive. Personally I would just wait until I got back and open it once I had a place to live and registered for council tax. It might be worth giving Nationwide a ring and asking their opinion. IMHO their customer service, whether in person or on the phone, is second to none. From the US the number is 011 44 1793 656789.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Those 2 statements seem a bit contradictory to me..

I think the only way one could do it would be if you had a property in the UK already (so could show a mortgage statement)... however, if you were already paying a mortgage, you would likely already have a UK bank account...
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No it does not seem possible. The all important phrase is "In order to open an account with Nationwide you will need to hold a UK residential address"

If one is not already living in the UK how do you accomplish this looking at all the proof they require as to your UK residency.

In other words you need to be a resident.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No it does not seem possible. The all important phrase is "In order to open an account with Nationwide you will need to hold a UK residential address"

If one is not already living in the UK how do you accomplish this looking at all the proof they require as to your UK residency.

In other words you need to be a resident.
actually it is possible! They know that I will not be resident in the UK until April/may and that I want to open the account before I return. Given I know my temporary address in the UK since I will be staying with my parents they take that as "holding an address". I just need a copy of my passport and my US driving license and I am all set to open the account. Just verified this with them via email!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.