Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i just call it exercise vic.... it's all part of retail therapy
If I get the chance to shop there again one day I promise not to moan
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by britvic
If I get the chance to shop there again one day I promise not to moan
somehow i believe that
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

MouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to allMouseyCat is a name known to all

Hi,
Reading is OK, I go there every week but I am not sure about work etc, however I am sure there are Jobs as I have friends who live and work there. From London Paddington you can get a train to Reading (25 mins) - that quick!
There are some nice villages, I know because I got lost going to a friends wedding. However I would say come down and have a look.

My suggestion - Weybridge - Esher (and surrounding areas) - I think you get the best of both worlds. It's almost country like but not quite - and of course there's the river thames going through chertsey etc. Actually there's a nice village in chertsey called lyne - really nice.

Weybridge / Esher - about 30mins to london - there might be a quicker service for people going to work. Nice parks - woodlands etc - it doens't feel like you are 30mins away from London.
Good Luck.
You are right, Hounslow is not nice at all.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MouseyCat
Hi,
Reading is OK, I go there every week but I am not sure about work etc, however I am sure there are Jobs as I have friends who live and work there. From London Paddington you can get a train to Reading (25 mins) - that quick!
There are some nice villages, I know because I got lost going to a friends wedding. However I would say come down and have a look.

My suggestion - Weybridge - Esher (and surrounding areas) - I think you get the best of both worlds. It's almost country like but not quite - and of course there's the river thames going through chertsey etc. Actually there's a nice village in chertsey called lyne - really nice.

Weybridge / Esher - about 30mins to london - there might be a quicker service for people going to work. Nice parks - woodlands etc - it doens't feel like you are 30mins away from London.
Good Luck.
You are right, Hounslow is not nice at all.
I'm from the Wokingham area and I'm looking to move back there during 2007. Wokingham is close to Reading which is great for shopping and IT jobs. There are lots of villages close by like Finchampstead, Binfield, Warfield etc. Wargrave is nice too as is Henley. The Thames Valley area is a good place to base yourselves - I can't wait to get back!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I'm from the Wokingham area and I'm looking to move back there during 2007. Wokingham is close to Reading which is great for shopping and IT jobs. There are lots of villages close by like Finchampstead, Binfield, Warfield etc. Wargrave is nice too as is Henley. The Thames Valley area is a good place to base yourselves - I can't wait to get back!
Welcome fishfinger
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Welcome fishfinger
Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll have loads of questions to ask shortly:-)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll have loads of questions to ask shortly:-)
Why Fishfinger ? mat be you miss them but sorry to tell you this you might get some stick over that name choice Please do stay around then, there a good lot.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why Fishfinger ? mat be you miss them but sorry to tell you this you might get some stick over that name choice Please do stay around then, there a good lot.
I see what you mean BritVic! lol I never thought of that (whoops)

I was purely thinking of the Birds Eye version when I came up with that name, I was brought up properly you know ;-)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see what you mean BritVic! lol I never thought of that (whoops)

I was purely thinking of the Birds Eye version when I came up with that name, I was brought up properly you know ;-)
Why not put your self on the meet & greet USA section alote more of us will see ya there & may be a little about yourself nice to have you on board.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

I Lived in Tadworth in Surrey (Near Epsom Downs), still have my house there and would love to go back there, one day I Hope/wish everyday. Nice Village, great pubs in the village of Walton on the Hill, and you have Reigate/Redhill 15 Mins (the new Croydon) or Croydon which is 30 Mins by Train, Loads of work there.

Some other Nice places around already said are Esher, Shepperton,

Good Luck

Sandra
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
I Lived in Tadworth in Surrey (Near Epsom Downs), still have my house there and would love to go back there, one day I Hope/wish everyday. Nice Village, great pubs in the village of Walton on the Hill, and you have Reigate/Redhill 15 Mins (the new Croydon) or Croydon which is 30 Mins by Train, Loads of work there.

Some other Nice places around already said are Esher, Shepperton,

Good Luck

Sandra
then you'll know my fav indian restaurant..le raj
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Chobham nice, close to Central London, and both airports, and also a nice village feeling to it.

The bottom line is your finances and how much you can afford.

Originally Posted by DDL
Wish the choice of where to live when we return were that easy! But then I suppose we are fortunate in that we do (to a certain degree) have a choice as to where we want to live.

Thought I'd invite y'all in on the discussion. (Pull up a chair and I'll put the kettle on.)

I am USC; hubby is UKC (awaiting receipt of permanent residency card; can apply for US citizenship end Jul 07).

We are late 40s/early 50s. No children (been there, done that). I am 20+ year legal secretary, hubby works in IT (webmaster, search engine optimization, blahblahblah) and has worked for the council before.

We previously lived in Hounslow :scared: (not my favorite place) - crap place to live, but affordable and 30 min. drive into central London. (And we took full advantage - saw and did sooooooo much). Plus, his folks and other family about 15 min. away. However, we DON'T want to return to that area.

Here is our list of ideal requisites. Of course, we realize that compromise is probably going to be a necessity on any one (or more):

1. Rental accomodation (no $ to buy yet) in trad village: pub, tearoom ; church; village hall; etc.

2. Near a major/big city/town for employment (preferably without a murderous drive in to work)

3. Convenient access to international airport (for European travel and travel to US)

4. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to Plymouth (where his kids/grandkids are) preferably 4 hrs or less to Plymouth

5. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to London (where his parents/family are)

Suggestions anyone?

Father-in-love has suggested Reading (for work) - he says there are some nice villages surrounding. We wouldn't know.

He also mentioned Guildford (for work) - just looking at map, it doesn't appear any villages surrounding Guildford?

And also Salisbury .... or even Chard.

Floor's open, and thanks in advance.

Denise
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TruBrit
then you'll know my fav indian restaurant..le raj
Yes been there a few times, great food.
Also used to go to a little Indian restaurant in Walton on the Hill which was great, looked like it needed a good refurb, but very Traditional, great for when you fall out of the pub on a Friday night. God how I miss it, How I miss the pub and a Decent Curry.

Where are you from?

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 8th 2007 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mercedes
The bottom line is your finances and how much you can afford.
exactly
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Yes been there a few times, great food.
Also used to go to a little Indian restaurant in Walton on the Hill which was great, looked like it needed a good refurb, but very Traditional, great for when you fall out of the pub on a Friday night. God how I miss it, How I miss the pub and a Decent Curry.

Where are you from?
check your karma there's a little message on there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.