Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:13 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Wish the choice of where to live when we return were that easy! But then I suppose we are fortunate in that we do (to a certain degree) have a choice as to where we want to live.

Thought I'd invite y'all in on the discussion. (Pull up a chair and I'll put the kettle on.)

I am USC; hubby is UKC (awaiting receipt of permanent residency card; can apply for US citizenship end Jul 07).

We are late 40s/early 50s. No children (been there, done that). I am 20+ year legal secretary, hubby works in IT (webmaster, search engine optimization, blahblahblah) and has worked for the council before.

We previously lived in Hounslow :scared: (not my favorite place) - crap place to live, but affordable and 30 min. drive into central London. (And we took full advantage - saw and did sooooooo much). Plus, his folks and other family about 15 min. away. However, we DON'T want to return to that area.

Here is our list of ideal requisites. Of course, we realize that compromise is probably going to be a necessity on any one (or more):

1. Rental accomodation (no $ to buy yet) in trad village: pub, tearoom ; church; village hall; etc.

2. Near a major/big city/town for employment (preferably without a murderous drive in to work)

3. Convenient access to international airport (for European travel and travel to US)

4. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to Plymouth (where his kids/grandkids are) preferably 4 hrs or less to Plymouth

5. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to London (where his parents/family are)

Suggestions anyone?

Father-in-love has suggested Reading (for work) - he says there are some nice villages surrounding. We wouldn't know.

He also mentioned Guildford (for work) - just looking at map, it doesn't appear any villages surrounding Guildford?

And also Salisbury .... or even Chard.

Floor's open, and thanks in advance.

Denise
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by DDL
Wish the choice of where to live when we return were that easy! But then I suppose we are fortunate in that we do (to a certain degree) have a choice as to where we want to live.

Thought I'd invite y'all in on the discussion. (Pull up a chair and I'll put the kettle on.)

I am USC; hubby is UKC (awaiting receipt of permanent residency card; can apply for US citizenship end Jul 07).

We are late 40s/early 50s. No children (been there, done that). I am 20+ year legal secretary, hubby works in IT (webmaster, search engine optimization, blahblahblah) and has worked for the council before.

We previously lived in Hounslow :scared: (not my favorite place) - crap place to live, but affordable and 30 min. drive into central London. (And we took full advantage - saw and did sooooooo much). Plus, his folks and other family about 15 min. away. However, we DON'T want to return to that area.

Here is our list of ideal requisites. Of course, we realize that compromise is probably going to be a necessity on any one (or more):

1. Rental accomodation (no $ to buy yet) in trad village: pub, tearoom ; church; village hall; etc.

2. Near a major/big city/town for employment (preferably without a murderous drive in to work)

3. Convenient access to international airport (for European travel and travel to US)

4. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to Plymouth (where his kids/grandkids are) preferably 4 hrs or less to Plymouth

5. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to London (where his parents/family are)

Suggestions anyone?

Father-in-love has suggested Reading (for work) - he says there are some nice villages surrounding. We wouldn't know.

He also mentioned Guildford (for work) - just looking at map, it doesn't appear any villages surrounding Guildford?

Denise
Reckon my old home town fulfils your criteria. Nailsworth is in the Cotswolds and close to Bristol, Bath, Cheltenham and Gloucester, short drive from Birmingham, 90 minutes from London, close to both M4 and M5 motorways, mainline rail access in Stroud direct to London and about 50 mins from Bristol airport. The town itself is a great little place with all the amenities you mention, plenty of rental propeties in the area (it being a popular investment location), beautiful countryside, plenty to see and do locally including Westonbirt Arboretum, Cotswold Waterpark and more national trust land than private. Worth a look I reckon. Good luck back in the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by DDL

Suggestions anyone?

Denise
Reading sounds the right part of the country to meet all those criteria. 30mins on the train to Paddington, so London is accessible, plus Reading/M4 corridor itself being home to a pretty big IT sector.

My husband works in Reading (well, his company HQ are in Thames Valley Park so he goes most weeks for a day or two, altho he's home-based here in Cheshire). One thing that really troubles him is the congestion, and he find the peak-time journeys to and from Reading pretty arduous (when I say 'peak', some days this seems to be from 5am onwards!) This is as much a problem up here in the NW as it is down in Berks, however. My only piece of advice would be to thoroughly research the journey to work, from where you will be living.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:17 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

sunninghill,ascot ,windsor for me but most probably be poole or bournemouth
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with Hutch's idea, there are a lot of nice places in the west country within commute distance of Bristol/Bath.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Have you thought of Oxford/shire? Close to M4/M40. Lots of small villages surrounding it for rentals. Bus link which takes about 1hr30 mins to get to Heathrow from central Oxford. Easy train link to London/Reading.
Obviously depends on what field you are in for employment opportunities.

I live in Oxfordshire and it is about a 3 hr journey to where my parents live in Devon. Probably about another 45 mins to Plymouth.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Denise
Reading is quite violent to be honest!

There are some amazing villages near Guildford, some with gorgeous pubs etc, Cranleigh, Shere, Compton, Gomshall, just to name but a few.
You could look at somewhere like Petersfield, on the A3, so direct route into London, easy access to Southampton and the M4 corridor or A303 for Plymouth.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

There are some amazing villages near Guildford, some with gorgeous pubs etc, Cranleigh, Shere, Compton, Gomshall, just to name but a few.
excellent locations and not fogetting the Abingers
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
excellent locations and not fogetting the Abingers
What? Ab(r)inger Hammer!?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

What? Ab(r)inger Hammer!?
abinger sutton springs to mind with the lovely volunteer pub
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:56 pm
Straw Man.

abinger sutton springs to mind with the lovely volunteer pub

I worked in Cranleigh for a year, there are some nice pubs there, and to be honest Haslemere is not that far away, 45 mins on the train to london and a really lovely town.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

I worked in Cranleigh for a year, there are some nice pubs there, and to be honest Haslemere is not that far away, 45 mins on the train to london and a really lovely town.

yep however i prefer Guildford
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's very nice dead posh
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

yep however i prefer Guildford
Pain while shopping though all them hill's, but very nice just the same
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Pain while shopping though all them hill's, but very nice just the same

i just call it exercise vic.... it's all part of retail therapy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.