Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

Old Oct 31st 2021, 11:59 am
Just Joined

kstokell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

Hi All,

I've recently joined this forum as I intend to move back to the UK after living in the Netherlands for the last 40 years. I will be re-locating to the UK with my wife of twenty years (a Dutch citizen) once she retires in 2023. We would like to know if anyone can recommend an advisory company, who for a fee, offers advice regarding the various aspects of our return?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old Oct 31st 2021, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

Originally Posted by kstokell
Hi All,

I've recently joined this forum as I intend to move back to the UK after living in the Netherlands for the last 40 years. I will be re-locating to the UK with my wife of twenty years (a Dutch citizen) once she retires in 2023. We would like to know if anyone can recommend an advisory company, who for a fee, offers advice regarding the various aspects of our return?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Hi Kevin, and welcome to BE.

Can you be a bit more specific, what aspects of your return are you looking for advice with? There are lawyers that can help with the visa side of things (if your wife needs one - not sure what the latest rules are after Brexit), there are relocation agents that can help with finding property etc, so it will really depend on what you want help with.

And now you've found BE, you've found a community full of volunteers and members that will do their best to help with any queries you have as well. I'll move your thread to our Moving Back to the UK subforum, that's the best place for any questions about your move.

Best of luck with it.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping to find a sort of "one stop" service provider that could advise us on all the aspects of returning, rather than the individual areas like tax, pension, health insurance, registration etc.

Kevin
Old Oct 31st 2021, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping to find a sort of "one stop" service provider that could advise us on all the aspects of returning, rather than the individual areas like tax, pension, health insurance, registration etc.

Kevin
I'm not aware of any company that does all that, but as you're a Brit it should all be pretty simple. You'll be eligible for the NHS from day one, your UK pension won't change (assuming you've been paying NI from abroad), etc. You can have a hunt around the forums for info on what people have found tricky - getting a credit score seems to be one if you haven't kept a UK bank account open (assume not if you've lived abroad for 40 years!), and opening a bank account isn't straightforward to start with, but a search of the forum will give you more info.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback! We have already taken the first steps to moving to the UK, we have put a deposit down on a new-build house which is planned for completion in the summer of 2023 and we've managed to open a UK bank account with HSBC. We will be selling our house in the Netherlands closer to our move date and use part of the money to pay for the new house and the rest as our retirement nest egg. My wife has no UK pension as she is Dutch and mine is minimal or nothing as I left the UK in 1979 and have not paid NI since then. We do however both have state and employee pensions here in the Netherlands and will both be retired and receiving these when we move to the UK (I am already retired). We will of course need to get these pensions to be paid out in the UK, as this will be our main source of income and we are not really sure how we need to go about this?

I suppose our main concerns are:
- Pensions, how do we arrange to have the pensions paid and I assume taxed in the UK?
- Registration, as my wife is Dutch do I have to get registered in the UK prior to my wife registering or can it be done together?
- Finances, once we have sold our house in the Netherlands can we bring the resulting money and our other assets to the UK tax free?
- Health Insurance, will my wife be eligible for the NHS once she is registered?

Any tips from anyone would be helpful?
Thanks Kevin
Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You keep referring to registering your wife in the UK - are you intending to apply for her to live in the UK based on the EU Settlement Scheme?

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/app...ritish-citizen

There is no just registering for EU or non EU citizens to be able to live in the UK since Brexit

You wife will be eligible for the NHS once she is living in the UK as per her visa.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 31st 2021 at 4:21 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You keep referring to registering your wife in the UK - are you intending to apply for her to live in the UK based on the EU Settlement Scheme?

There is no just registering for EU or non EU citizens to be able to live in the UK since Brexit

You wife will be eligible for the NHS once she is living in the UK as per her visa.
Thanks for the info but unfortunately we won't be returning until the summer of 2023 and EU Settlement Scheme only applies if you return before 29 March 2022.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the info but unfortunately we won't be returning until the summer of 2023 and EU Settlement Scheme only applies if you return before 29 March 2022.
So you'll need to sponsor her for a visa, there are immigration consultants/lawyers that can help with that if you decide you want assistance, but it's fairly straightforward tbh. Particularly now you've found BE! Head over to the immigration section of the forum for info on that, although you're a long way off applying, but hopefully things won't change between now and then.

For your pensions, that will be a question for your providers in the Netherlands, it should just be a case of filling in a form to get it paid in to your UK bank account. It might be worth checking your UK NI record and seeing if making some additional contributions would make enough of a difference to give you a UK pension as well, it's such a tiny amount for most people living abroad that it's a great investment.

'Registration', as SDG has said above, not sure what you're referring to here?

Re: tax on the savings you'll move to the UK, this thread will give you more info - Will I be taxed on the savings I bring back?

Yes, your wife will be eligible for the NHS from day 1, as she'll be in the UK on a spouse visa.

HTH.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you'll need to sponsor her for a visa, there are immigration consultants/lawyers that can help with that if you decide you want assistance, but it's fairly straightforward tbh. Particularly now you've found BE! Head over to the immigration section of the forum for info on that, although you're a long way off applying, but hopefully things won't change between now and then.

For your pensions, that will be a question for your providers in the Netherlands, it should just be a case of filling in a form to get it paid in to your UK bank account. It might be worth checking your UK NI record and seeing if making some additional contributions would make enough of a difference to give you a UK pension as well, it's such a tiny amount for most people living abroad that it's a great investment.

'Registration', as SDG has said above, not sure what you're referring to here?

Re: tax on the savings you'll move to the UK, this thread will give you more info -

Yes, your wife will be eligible for the NHS from day 1, as she'll be in the UK on a spouse visa.

HTH.
By registration I mean applying for my wifes resident status, I suppose that's the same as applying for a visa. I tried to look at my UK NI record online but it seems it's not possible if you are not a UK resident as I have no post code, if you know how else I can see it please let me know? With regards to the pensions do I have to get the income tax waived in the Netherlands and have the "pre-tax" amount transferred to my UK bank and then inform the UK tax department to pay UK tax?

Thanks for all the help so-far,
Kevin
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

In which case you will need to sponsor her for a visa.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

This will need to be done from the Netherlands.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

Your main issue will be dealing with the requirement to get a residency visa for your wife. EU citizens no longer have the right to live in the UK even if they have been married to a UK citizen for many years. It will cost you about 7K GBP all in over five years to get what is effectively permanent residency for your wife (its called Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK). You will also have to show that you have had 62,000 GBP in a bank account for six months to do this. I am faced with the same issue in a couple of years time.

You will be able to bring money in and HMRC will not tax you on that.

Last edited by dean350; Nov 2nd 2021 at 3:38 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 12:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dean350
Your main issue will be dealing with the requirement to get a residency visa for your wife. EU citizens no longer have the right to live in the UK even if they have been married to a UK citizen for many years. It will cost you about 7K GBP all in over five years to get what is effectively permanent residency for your wife (its called Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK). You will also have to show that you have had 62,000 GBP in a bank account for six months to do this. I am faced with the same issue in a couple of years time.

I'm still gobsmacked by this requirement. It's quite simply wrong. The state has no business levying a surcharge on people's choice of spouse, EU or no EU.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

delete

Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'm still gobsmacked by this requirement. It's quite simply wrong. The state has no business levying a surcharge on people's choice of spouse, EU or no EU.

I don't know of any country that does not have an immigration process for citizens to bring non citizen spouses/siblings/parents/children into the country - and does not charge for said privilege.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't know of any country that does not have an immigration process for citizens to bring non citizen spouses/siblings/parents/children into the country - and does not charge for said privilege.

Maybe not.

I'm still gobsmacked by the financial requirements - not the paperwork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.